• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Guys I did my part in Texas last week during early voting. I will make the shameful admission that this midterm election is the first time I have ever voted for anything, ever. My first time was voting in the primaries for Beto O' Rourke now I cast my vote for him in the midterm election. Every time I see these posts pop up, I see people chime in "Vote and make sure you bring a friend". Well, I brought my best friend, my wife, and she also voted for the first time ever.

I'm sorry that people like me allowed this whole mess to happen, but I'm here now and I brought a friend. For me, I've lived in the south all of my life and I had the (wrong) perception that I was the one lone progressive person surrounded by conservatives. However, someone on ERA totally changed my mind when they posted this interactive map of the United States, where you could see precinct by precinct on the count of votes between the candidates on the 2016 presidential election.

I wasn't alone. In my tiny Texas precinct, there were hundreds that voted Democrat in the 2016 election. Sure, there were far more that voted Trump, but when you have the perception that you are completely alone, seeing that makes a tremendous difference. On the other side of my town, there were precincts that were conclusively Democrat. If you are like me and you think that you are totally alone. Look at that map and look at the proof that you aren't.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
First time voting and I'm in NJ.

I'm going to vote straight Dem but is there like anything online where I can see what's on the ballot?
Vote yes on prop 1, no idea why it's on the ballot if everyone outside of a koch-backed group wants it

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
DrMmLTRU0AA1DrC.jpg:large

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I'm sorry that people like me allowed this whole mess to happen, but I'm here now and I brought a friend. For me, I've lived in the south all of my life and I had the (wrong) perception that I was the one lone progressive person surrounded by conservatives. However, someone on ERA totally changed my mind when they posted this interactive map of the United States, where you could see precinct by precinct on the count of votes between the candidates on the 2016 presidential election.

I wasn't alone. In my tiny Texas precinct, there were hundreds that voted Democrat in the 2016 election. Sure, there were far more that voted Trump, but when you have the perception that you are completely alone, seeing that makes a tremendous difference. On the other side of my town, there were precincts that were conclusively Democrat. If you are like me and you think that you are totally alone. Look at that map and look at the proof that you aren't.

Congratulations and thanks for doing your part. I think a lot of people share(d) that same sense of hopelessness re: being alone, so I'm glad you were able to see it differently.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Guys I did my part in Texas last week during early voting. I will make the shameful admission that this midterm election is the first time I have ever voted for anything, ever. My first time was voting in the primaries for Beto O' Rourke now I cast my vote for him in the midterm election. Every time I see these posts pop up, I see people chime in "Vote and make sure you bring a friend". Well, I brought my best friend, my wife, and she also voted for the first time ever.

Great job man!!

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
My family all voted early after avoiding voting for a long time because they thought it was a hassle. All dem tickets from every one of them too.

I did my best I guess.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Been riding all my family and in laws about voting and voting blue...got about 15 others (including my parents who are voting in the midterms for the first time) besides myself ready to hit the polls tomorrow.

It's not a lot but every vote helps, I'm ready to do this...

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's more systemic than that. Democratic constituencies just don't vote in midterms as reliably as Republican constituencies. It's a problem the Democratic party really needs to address.

I believe the Trump presidency is going to galvanize Democratic voters out of apathy going forward. I've been guilty of democratic apathy, believing that the system of checks and balances would prevent really bad things from happening. I really believed that Trump was such an outsider that the Republicans wouldn't work with him. Now I see that the checks and balances system only works when the parties are fairly represented and you better believe me that I'm going to vote in every midterm going forward.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the Trump presidency is going to galvanize Democratic voters out of apathy going forward. I've been guilty of democratic apathy, believing that the system of checks and balances would prevent really bad things from happening. I really believed that Trump was such an outsider that the Republicans wouldn't work with him. Now I see that the checks and balances system only works when the parties are fairly represented and you better believe me that I'm going to vote in every midterm going forward.
Good to hear

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Early voting results amongst all states that allow it were overwhelmingly dominated by age 60+ turn out. Bad news for Republican states like mine (Texas). Beto won't win.

Old people have nothing better to do than to vote early now that they got their pensions and social security and Medicare. Young people are busy working and being discouraged. Sigh.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sent in my vote last week...for Andrew Gillum of course. Hopefully Voldemort doesn't get in the senate.

Tomorrow I'll be going to Air Force Basic Training so I'm going to miss pretty much all the fallout after it. Honestly a good thing imo, the last election was such a terrible experience that I'm glad I'll have something else to focus on.

I just hope that everything works out. I know the polls seem to be looking good but I can't get myself to believe in them not to mention other people. But after not voting in the last election all of my immediate family are voting this time which makes me very happy.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Early voting results amongst all states that allow it were overwhelmingly dominated by age 60+ turn out. Bad news for Republican states like mine (Texas). Beto won't win.

Old people have nothing better to do than to vote early now that they got their pensions and social security and Medicare. Young people are busy working and being discouraged. Sigh.
However, some recent polling has indicated that over 65s are not as for Republicans this year as usual, a real warning flag. That's what happens when you openly threaten their healthcare.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Early voted yesterday in Florida. First time voter and went straight Dem.

I'll be... optimistic for Tuesday.

OP
OP
Midnight Jon

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I mean, people age 60+ have been hearing nonstop for the past two weeks that McConnell wants to take away their SS/Medicare (and were already mad about the AHCA age tax), so

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more systemic than that. Democratic constituencies just don't vote in midterms as reliably as Republican constituencies. It's a problem the Democratic party really needs to address.
American politics is cyclical and predictable to the point you can set your watch be it.

The one thing that motivates Democratic voters during midterms is a Republican president. Negative enthusiasm rules all.

When your party has the White House, you get fat and happy.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Realistically speaking, keep in mind I don't follow politics that close, what are the chances of Dems actually winning most of the elections?

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To every kind soul in this forum that lives in the US: pls go and vote, for your sake, your countrys and the world.
Love, Federico.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Realistically speaking, keep in mind I don't follow politics that close, what are the chances of Dems actually winning most of the elections?

Very high for the House, like 75%+ we take control. Basically no chance in the Senate. Still would be a huge deal to win the House as the Dems could then slow down/stop Trump's agenda and launch some investigations.