• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
If only Beto had won, then I'd say he has a shot at 2020. But at this rate, he needs another win to launch his profile nationally. I say maybe 2024 or 2026.
Most people in the country have already heard of him - many of the things he did went viral in this cycle and he got solid national coverage. The guy started a movement and a movement is what Dems need.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Beto/Harris or Harris/Beto is an absolute winner. I also like that any ticket with Beto on it will make Trump throw lots of money at TX.

sjDkS0k.png

Yeah I'm hoping for one of those tickets for 2020 right now, I haven't seen anyone else that I think would do better (So far).

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
If only Beto had won, then I'd say he has a shot at 2020. But at this rate, he needs another win to launch his profile nationally. I say maybe 2024 or 2026.
If he had won, he'd almost certainly not be running in 2020, because he promised to serve a full term in the Senate (unlike say, Ted Cruz).

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
If Beto runs, he should be a lock for the nomination. He would beat Trump too. No one since Obama has had that rock star quality to them.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Beto has been a congressman for years.

Besides, who gives a shit about experience anymore? Did we learn nothing from 2016?
Experience is good. I'd like the president of the most important country in the world (militarily and sort of economically speaking) to know what they're doing.

That said, Beto has tons of experience, as you said. Anyone seriously disqualifying him because he "only" spent 6 years as a US representative has unrealistic expectations of what "experience" is.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Obama started a movement in 2008 and won in a landslide.

Trump, by posturing as a populist and successfully passing off as anti-establishment only because his opponent was THE most emblematic figure of the establishment, also started a movement, and won.

Beto is the only Dem I can think of who started a massive movement recently and got overwhelming support from everyone. He got dozens of Dems elected in TX. Not himself, but that's because Texas is a red state and the odds weren't favoring him from the get go. He would wipe the floor with Trump because he actually exudes energy and intelligence, two things Trump only pretends to have, and is a rockstar candidate with a huge following.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Beto is Obama on the surface but with progressive policy and not beholden to corporations. He is too perfect to be real.

Oct 27, 2017
That's just as bad as gerrymandering or restrictive voter ID laws. And it's going to backfire if the state ever swings the other direction.
That poster was joking; that's not why the top-two system was put in place. California (and Washington) implemented it in an attempt to discourage political extremism on both sides - so stopping the very small percentage of the electorate that vote in primaries from pretty much picking the election winner in heavily left-leaning or right-leaning districts by making it more likely that a moderate alternative will also make it through to the general election.

I'm not sure it's made a huge difference though.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Experience is good. I'd like the president of the most important country in the world (militarily and sort of economically speaking) to know what they're doing.

That said, Beto has tons of experience, as you said. Anyone seriously disqualifying him because he "only" spent 6 years as a US representative has unrealistic expectations of what "experience" is.

I'm not claiming experience is bad. I'm claiming it's irrelevant to electability, especially when compared to his opponent. I'd take Beto over Trump if he'd been a cashier at McDonalds the past five years.

Anyway, this is a moot point as Beto has plenty of experience.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
That the Democratic base wants women elected, as we saw in elections this year. That this moment in history calls for a woman to be our nominee.
Not sure there is a woman rumored to run that can energize the base like Beto. Maybe there will be one that comes out of nowhere that isn't a household name at the moment, but for now none excite like Beto.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I get that he's in a catch 22 situations, but that doesn't make his losses victories in the eyes of voters
I really don't think that winning or loosing really matters and you have to look no further than to Trump as an example of that. Dude tried his hand in politics lots, and lost every time before his most recent attempt.

What matters nowadays is charisma and being able to speak to the nations mind. At least that's what I've seen with the last three presidential campaigns (and for that matter a similar argument could be made for Bush Jr., Clinton, Reagan, etc.)
BS. Every candidate says this and it is a common understanding that it is well... BS.
True. Makes me wonder if Obama made a similar statement, lol

Regardless if he had won, he would've been far more valuable in Texas than running for president, because his seat would almost assuredly be taken by a Republican.

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Updates for florida:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/11/politics/florida-miami-dade-election-uncounted-ballots/index.html

Suzy Trutie, a spokesperson for the county's supervisor of elections, told CNN there were 266 ballots in the shipment and that the votes will not be counted. Florida law requires all ballots sent by mail to arrive at the election facility by 7 p.m. on Election Day, and these ballots did not meet that standard, Trutie said.
The US Postal Service said in a statement on Friday that it was operating in "close coordination and partnerships with election officials at the local, county and state levels." But as of Sunday morning, it still did not confirm ballots had not been provided in time to local election officials.
By law, all ballots for federal races must be kept by an elections board for up to 22 months after the election, which means the ballots will not be destroyed and could theoretically be brought into a potential court case.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/11/politics/florida-recount-palm-beach-county/index.html

"It's impossible," said Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections Susan Bucher in response to CNN asking if officials would be able to finish the full recount on time.
The prediction came as a rare point of agreement between Democrats and Republicans in the state, who have engaged in a tense fight since Tuesday's election brought tight margins in statewide races.
Palm Beach County GOP Chairman Michael Barnett told CNN that the county's inability to meet the deadline would be "good news for Republicans because our candidates are ahead.
"If they're not able to meet the deadline, the secretary of state of Florida may go ahead and certify the elections for our candidates," Barnett said. "In that case, you can bet your butt there will be lawsuits filed everywhere."

Barnett was critical of the infrastructure, saying: "It's an outdated process. The machinery is old. They don't have enough updated machinery to go through all the ballots to run one election, let alone all three statewide races."

Recounts will take too long and likely will lead to Scott and DeSantis being certified victors.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
What reason does a Bernie bro have to support Beto over Bernie? Beto is to the right of Bernie....

Just goes to show a lot of the Hillary stuff was about sexism...
Yea and Bernie can't seem to get out of his own way with PoC, contrast that to betos statement on NFL protests or the speech he gave about police brutality to a church full of black people.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The Dems need people who understand how a well run campaign that got a progressive candidate 48% of the vote in Texas can translate into a successful campaign nationwide. Luckily these people exist and are working to get Beto to run as we speak.

Let's be real

They need both. Any Presidential candidate needs to have a winning GOTV operation and true progressive Bona fides. We can't take anything less than a sure bet on a real changemaker.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real

They need both. Any Presidential candidate needs to have a winning GOTV operation and true progressive Bona fides. We can't take anything less than a sure bet on a real changemaker.
I think the problem you're making is to assume that Obama is a winner vs. Beto being a loser simply on which one hit 50% or not. But elections outcomes can't be measured equally in Illinois and Texas.

I'm positive Beto changed the vote in Texas just as Obama did in Illinois when he ran. And I'm pretty sure that (and the GOTV campaign with it) can be scaled up to a national level.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I agree, and that's Beto. I don't think you're being fair to what his campaign accomplished in Texas and how that translates going forward.

Seriously I don't understand how others don't get it. What Beto did in Texas is a much bigger win than some idealist progressive winning by 25% in a deep blue state.

vitamind

Nov 1, 2018
Good lord do I hate Florida. I tell my wife all the time we need to leave, but we need as many dems here as possible so....

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Also unless Beto has some fucking weird skeletons in his closet, Republicans have a REALLY hard time fighting against him. He is too likeable and clean and not that radical. What are they gonna say? "He has no experience!" Well then you instantly counter trump had less experience when he ran.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Florida has been governed by GOP for some time and still haven't fixed their election problems for obvious reasons.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
He's already known nationally.

Just look at the celebrities endorsing him, the headlines he's generated. Even my wife's my who lives in upstate New York told my wife she hopes he runs.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Also unless Beto has some fucking weird skeletons in his closet, Republicans have a REALLY hard time fighting against him. He is too likeable and clean and not that radical. What are they gonna say? "He has no experience!" Well then you instantly counter trump had less experience when he ran.

He has a DUI which would be damning but Trump has multiple hookers that he's paid off so we good.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord do I hate Florida. I tell my wife all the time we need to leave, but we need as many dems here as possible so....
Stay and fight and it's bound to happen.

Here in GA, my district (around Roswell GA), which is mainly more on the white side, just elected a black democrat women to the House for the 1st time since 1976 and defeated the horrible Karren Handle. The Gov race is likely lost, but the fact we got SO FUCKING close despite all the shenanigans by the State Rep who oversaw the election and also was the Republican Candidate shows how far GA has come. I'd easily say GA is more of a purple state these days.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Trump runs on fear, while Beto runs on hope. Guess we'll see which one wins if Trump goes against Beto.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Beto has been a congressman for years.

Besides, who gives a shit about experience anymore? Did we learn nothing from 2016?

Not gonna lie, I do care. And I was happy to learn this about him when I looked him up. I'm warming to him for 2020 seriously. Some political experience matters a lot to me. And I really love his charisma. I would MUCH prefer him to others like Avenatti. Its getting harder and harder to deny how extremely well he did in the race. I'm not big on taking someone who lost recently and propping them for a WH run, but wow this guy is impressive. I at least want him in the running. Let him take his shot at making it to the general.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Trump runs on fear, while Beto runs on hope. Guess we'll see which one wins if Trump goes against Beto.
Hope and change will always win over fear and status quo - that's the lesson 2008 cemented.

Trump lost the advantage of being an outsider. He'll be in a weaker spot than he was in 2016.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Stay and fight and it's bound to happen.

Here in GA, my district (around Roswell GA), which is mainly more on the white side, just elected a black democrat women to the House and defeated the horrible Karren Handle. The Gov race is likely lost, but the fact we got SO FUCKING close despite all the shenanigans by the State Rep who oversaw the election and also was the Republican Candidate shows how far GA has come. I'd easily say GA is more of a purple state these days.
Also, did you see the sea of red we're dealing with in GA?

The fact that we got so close with so much red is a good thing. We need to keep it up, increase voter turnout, and turn GA blue.

Jesus fuck Florida, you need to learn how to run a damn election.

Glad I was too young in 2000 to be getting flashbacks right now, lol
I know right, I was just a kid out in Broward County at the time.