US Midterm Elections 2018 |OT| Babs is Surging

Oct 25, 2017
People were celebrating 50% turnout this election. 50%...in the "shining beacon of democracy" in the most hotly anticipated and closely watched race in a lifetime.

Every vote counts. If we have this excitement in 2020, we are golden!
And I think we will. The last two years on repeat, except, Trump will be extra cranky because he's actually going to be be told no and probably having to deal with legal issues throughout. If two years of Trump can lead to a mid-term with presidential election turnout, good god 2020 will be amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Notice if you go to most of the major news sites, probably all, none of them have their election pages easily available anymore. It happens every time. They've moved on, even though this stuff can carry on for days if not weeks. Which of course they have, not knocking them per se, but it gives an impression this stuff all wraps up in 24 hours tops. I can't even get Google's results pages to pop no matter what I search for and they were pretty much impossible to avoid searching for anything close to results day of.

Keep it in mind for when it happens again in 2020 and people are besides themselves that we haven't suddenly devised a way to solve the myriad issues of situations that need to be accounted for in voting in such a way that we have 100% accurate reporting the microsecond the polls close.

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad that a "young" Kim won, that is Andy Kim! Hope Gil Cisneros pulls through as well. So happy at the prospect of all of OC going blue. Katie did amazing as well, great person for the district. I am so excited for 2020, I want this momentum to keep going. Remember we select the candidate at the primary levels, so vote primaries too.

Oct 27, 2017
I am glad that a "young" Kim won, that is Andy Kim! Hope Gil Cisneros pulls through as well. So happy at the prospect of all of OC going blue. Katie did amazing as well, great person for the district. I am so excited for 2020, I want this momentum to keep going. Remember we select the candidate at the primary levels, so vote primaries too.
Yes. And if people have problems with Pelosi or anyone else not being progressive enough, support candidates to the left of them in the primaries! At worst, that candidate loses, but may force the incumbent to move left on certain issues. Especially in the Bay Area, NYC, and other metropolitan areas, this is a way to force safe democratic areas to move more left.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. And if people have problems with Pelosi or anyone else not being progressive enough, support candidates to the left of them in the primaries! At worst, that candidate loses, but may force the incumbent to move left on certain issues. Especially in the Bay Area, NYC, and other metropolitan areas, this is a way to force safe democratic areas to move more left.
Exactly, I hope many people see what voting can do now because of these results, and take the initiative from step 1. That is how we make our voice heard.

Gil Cisneros has also taken the lead over Young Kim with the updated vote totals. It's happening.

https://medium.com/@RyanDack/state-...s-cisneros-takes-the-lead-edition-8b56440ce17

Nov 1, 2017
Y'all getting arrogant again. Don't lose the fervor you had two weeks ago or 2020 will be another 2016 nightmare.
I don't think people here have been arrogant. If anything, I feel many have approached this in a very chastened manner. And in the aftermath, I think we'll continue to be as focused going into 2020.

In the meantime, raise a glass. Take a load off. And above all else, drop a chicken!
EDIT: I was really hoping I could post this song to ERA members from Brazil after the Brazilian elections but in wake of the results I felt that it might be best to shelf this theme for the time being. Wish I could have dropped this for Beto O'Rourke. Oh well. Congratulations blue wave! Now onto 2020.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Jamie Dupree @jamiedupree

The AP calls CA39 for Democrat Gil Cisneros, defeating Republican Young Kim. That gives Democrats +37 in the House

5 seats remain undecided, and one seat called for the GOP (CA21) is now considered a toss up by some experts

Reminder:
Daniel Dale @ddale8

The conservative media ecosystem blasted the mainstream media for not immediately writing about the historic victory of Young Kim...who looks like she might well lose.

Oct 25, 2017
Jamie Dupree @jamiedupree

The AP calls CA39 for Democrat Gil Cisneros, defeating Republican Young Kim. That gives Democrats +37 in the House

5 seats remain undecided, and one seat called for the GOP (CA21) is now considered a toss up by some experts

Reminder:
Daniel Dale @ddale8

The conservative media ecosystem blasted the mainstream media for not immediately writing about the historic victory of Young Kim...who looks like she might well lose.
Yeah had to laugh at all the conservative bullshit surrounding Young Kim's "win".