• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX

Mark Penn is a hack trying to maintain his own relevance. Give this absolutely no credence.

Four once you account for Jones losing his seat in 2020. I don't see us taking control of the senate next election.

This is why I think the Beto for president/VP talk is misguided. He is much more useful taking a run at Cornyn to ensure that TX-Sen is in play in 2020. Opening as many opportunities as possible in the Senate is more important than optimizing the presidential ticket. Even one seat short in the Senate pretty much guarantees the Dem president is a do-nothing president, outside of reversing Trump's executive orders (which is still important). Hell, only scoring a 50/50 split is essentially crowning King Manchin, which is only a bit better. 51 seats really needs to be the goal. ME/IA/NC/AZ/GA/TX are the realistic potential pickups, so keeping Texas open is necessary if you want any slack for someone to go wrong somewhere else.

Oct 25, 2017
Four once you account for Jones losing his seat in 2020. I don't see us taking control of the senate next election.

It is too early to write off 2020. It is a wide map, and there's likely to be a few retirements that we don't know about yet.

If Trump goes down by a lot, Dems could definitely grab the Senate. An electoral squeeker shouldn't just be assumed. Too many people mold their thinking too much to the most recent election (s).

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto would appeal to a cross-section of Democrats and the general public.
None of the other candidates have the charisma.
Hes basically the white Obama lol.

5bb5e573f81ea045e66aeb9a

*vomits* I bet she will run, hope to god not but I bet she does. And when shitbag gets 4 more years...she will eye 24
Stop. This is nonsense. Mark Penn is a troll who Clinton cut ties with and hasn't spoken to in over a decade because he wanted her to emrbace racist attack on Obama. She is not running. He is is a troll trying to stir trouble.

He just wants attention.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Beto seems far more useful as a Senate candidate in 2020 than a Presidential or Vice Presidential candidate.

There are a lot of good democrat Presidential contenders, and that's before election season. What needs to be concentrated on is supporting and maintaining strong Senate contenders, because control over it is likely going to come down to one or two seats, and a democrat President's power to enact an agenda is going to be reliant on controlling Congress. Texas needs to be in play.

Additionally, another passionate Beto Senate ticket in 2020 would once again help carry TX House seats and other local democratic candidates.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
Beto seems far more useful as a Senate candidate in 2020 than a Presidential or Vice Presidential candidate.

There are a lot of good democrat Presidential contenders, and that's before election season. What needs to be concentrated on is supporting and maintaining strong Senate contenders, because control over it is likely going to come down to one or two seats, and a democrat President's power to enact an agenda is going to be reliant on controlling Congress. Texas needs to be in play.

Additionally, another passionate Beto Senate ticket in 2020 would once again help carry TX House seats and other local democratic candidates.

I don't think the presidential field is strong at all. It's better than 2016, but that's not saying much. TX Senate isn't in play unless the dem presidential candidate is easily winning.

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah

Cornyn seems to be pretty safe in his seat given his approval numbers, position in Senate leadership, and margin of victory in past elections. Now I understand he is a boring candidate that may not be able to match the enthusiasm Beto has but I think if Beto ran again for Texas Senate against Cornyn he would lose and honestly that would probably kill has career in public office. I think the Democrats should try to find another candidate in Texas that can garner enthusiasm because we need one in the presidential race.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I think Beto could take it. Presidential election is just a shitty popularity contest anyway

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I'm kind of two minds on Beto. I personally think that lack of experience is legit complaint, but when compared to Trump he's overqualified... I guess I wouldn't mind if he ran. A good and tough primary would be great here (as long as Bernie doesn't run and party stays united afterwards)

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX

This is also big. Last I checked, Dems need to pick up 8 TX house seats to split that chamber 50/50, which would have huge gerrymandering implications. That's the same number of seats they grabbed this time around, and lines up pretty neatly with the number they lost by only low single digits. Having Beto in the state full-time is huge for those candidates for lower office.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Running for senate in 2020 is career suicide. Cornyn is far more popular than Cruz was. Cornyn is quite popular in Texas. He would have no chance in that senate race. Beto is already reaching out to party allies for a 2020 presidential run so its not like he'd run fo that senate race anyway. Its a mute point.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This is also big. Last I checked, Dems need to pick up 8 TX house seats to split that chamber 50/50, which would have huge gerrymandering implications. That's the same number of seats they grabbed this time around, and lines up pretty neatly with the number they lost by only low single digits. Having Beto in the state full-time is huge for those candidates for lower office.
Actually it's less - they got 12 this go-round.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cornyn is far more popular than Cruz was. Beto's team is already reaching out to party allies about a 2020 presidential run per NYT.

Beto running for senate again is not on the table and really not even worth talking about at this point.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Cornyn is far more popular than Cruz was. Beto's team is already reaching out to party allies about a 2020 presidential run per NYT.

Beto running for senate again is not on the table and really not even worth talking about at this point.

Beto didn't really overperform other races in the state at all though. It was a pretty straightforward partisan shift across the state. Cornyn is vulnerable so long as the blue shift continues apace. The only race that didn't move as much was the governorship, because Valdez didn't seriously contest it, and convincing Beto to take the shot at Cornyn is worth it to avoid the risk of an untested, Valdez-tier candidate doing it instead.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto didn't really overperform other races in the state at all though. It was a pretty straightforward partisan shift across the state. Cornyn is vulnerable so long as the blue shift continues apace.
The other races were boosted because of him. He isn't running for senate again so this really doesnt matter anyway lol.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Let's hope it holds! More blue!!
In a less talked about state, NM just turned completely blue.

screenshot2018-11-12alcc9e.png

They have been counting these votes all last week. It is unique because the bottom half of New Mexico has always been red. Most of the blue votes are coming from the county where the University is located.

NYTimes: NOV. 12, 2018, 11:35 AM ET
Xochitl Torres Small has won the election, according to A.P.

Candidate Party Votes Pct.
Xochitl Torres Small Democrat 99,441 50.7%
Yvette Herrell Republican 96,715 49.3

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Beto didn't really overperform other races in the state at all though. It was a pretty straightforward partisan shift across the state. Cornyn is vulnerable so long as the blue shift continues apace. The only race that didn't move as much was the governorship, because Valdez didn't seriously contest it, and convincing Beto to take the shot at Cornyn is worth it to avoid the risk of an untested, Valdez-tier candidate doing it instead.

On the ground here - Beto literally carried entire countries over the top from going Red -> Blue at a county wide office level.

That wouldn't happen without him at the top of the ticket.

Ted Cruz is historically unlikable. There won't be a similar trend with Cornyn, unless anti Trump fever actually increases (which I only see with a bad economy).

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
In a less talked about state, NM just turned completely blue.

screenshot2018-11-12alcc9e.png

They have been counting these votes all last week. It is unique because the bottom half of New Mexico has always been red. Most of the blue votes are coming from the county where the University is located.

NYTimes: NOV. 12, 2018, 11:35 AM ET
Torres Small was called on Thursday, I believe. As a New Mexico resident this makes me super proud, as the last time this happened was in 2008. Glad Yvette Herrell didn't get elected, she was a fucking nutcase. NM State really saved our asses in the south, lol

I'm kind of two minds on Beto. I personally think that lack of experience is legit complaint, but when compared to Trump he's overqualified... I guess I wouldn't mind if he ran. A good and tough primary would be great here (as long as Bernie doesn't run and party stays united afterwards)
I dunno if I'd call 6 years as a US representative a lack of experience. Yeah, he was never a senator or governor, but that's pretty much out of play right now in Texas, so requiring that seems to me a bit like gatekeeping on the part of blue states.

Besides, newcomers do better as there's less to attack them with and they're seen as less of an "insider". Obama is a good example of that. He had no more experience than Beto does now, for example.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Gollum should join up with Beto. He's the only Democrat I've seen blasting Trump on Twitter.

And he really shouldn't go to waste.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Plus, there's a non-zero chance the election will end with Trump being thrown into Mt. Doom. Win-win in that case.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

If he didn't beat Cruz I doubt he'll beat Cornyn.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If he didn't beat Cruz I doubt he'll beat Cornyn.

It's a very valid concern, but we don't know what the climate of 2020 will be, either, after two more years of Trump (and by extension his loyalist GOP) flailing under House and Special Council scrutiny. The Democratic base could be more energized than in 2018, and the Republican base could be depressed. Impossible to call now.

Even in loss, Beto's state-wide strategy and coat tail effect strongly assisted turning Texas into a purpler, more viable battleground.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very valid concern, but we don't know what the climate of 2020 will be, either, after two more years of Trump (and by extension his loyalist GOP) flailing under House and Special Council scrutiny. The Democratic base could be more energized than in 2018, and the Republican base could be depressed. Impossible to call now.

Even in loss, Beto's state-wide strategy and coat tail effect strongly assisted turning Texas into a purpler, more viable battleground.
I mean we already know he isn't running for senate in 2020 so it doesn't matter lol. His advisors are already prepping for a 2020 presidential bid.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Gillum is currently under investigation by the for corruption and misuse. Regardless of the merits of said investigation (and I do think there's substance there regardless of whether or not Gillum was personally involved) it's a bad look for a presidential candidate. He should run by all means, but it's something people should keep in mind, as it may be one of the reasons he lost in Florida.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd bet on Harris over Beto. Trump would dominate the airwaves with his "my opponent is a LOSER" shtick, and alt-right trolls on social media would make Bet*a* a meme or something

Whatever he could throw at Harris would be old hat, relatively.

I like Harris over Beto too, but I wonder. The danger with her is that Trump isn't like other politicians. He'll hit her on her past and hit her hard and often. The president has zero class and he hates women in particular.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I like Harris over Beto too, but I wonder. The danger with her is that Trump isn't like other politicians. He'll hit her on her past and hit her hard and often. The president has zero class and he hates women in particular.
Yea and that resulted in white women voting democratic for the first time in history this cycle. Expose his biggest weakness.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump lost to Cruz in Texas as well. And it wasn't even close. Beto did a lot better against Cruz than Trump did. So he would have a pretty easy comeback. That and the Abe Lincoln card.

Trump is going to give whoever the nominee is a nickname anyway. No one should be worrying about that. No matter who it is he will give them a dumb nickname.

Betos advantage is the media loves him, they love showing his rallies even in just a senate race. Trump won't dominate the news cycle against Beto.

I really think people are underplaying how huge it would be to have someone with more of a celebrity it factor, bigger rallies, and more media attention.

Trumps strength is how he dominates the media. Beto could kill that advantage. If you steal the media limelight from Trump I think he gets crushed.

Last edited:

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Legit 2020 people are
Harris, booker, Beto unless everyone agrees to have him as VP, Gavin Newsom,

Nobody over 70 who looks like they could die a year into office

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto has the power to get people who feel alienated from politics excited. I hope he is working right now to do what he needs to do to be our president. After Trump, anything is possible.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
This was my line of thinking. Stupidly I was looking at the current line of crappy candidates, including Bernie. Beto surpasses all of then honestly

I voted for Bernie in the 2016 primaries but, honestly, O'Rourke is everything Sanders supporters have been wanting.
Sanders' age and perplexing propensity to say and do insensitive things toward the black community make him an unviable candidate in the future.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Bernies appeal was he was the only non-Hillary option. That not being the case leaves very little base of support for him. If you were with Bernie because he was left of Hillary well guess what you have a ton of options now. If you were with Bernie because you wanted to be part of a movement well you have Beto now. Bernie doesn't stand out in a field like this.