• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Kamala is a stunning woman, wow.

Anyways, I think the answer to that question is pretty obvious.

I have a question, do you think if Beto runs, the GOP will bring up his multiple arrests when he was younger? Even if they were super minor offenses, the GOP will mostly likely milk it dry

It would be funny if they make a big deal of it when they ignore Trump's record.

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Just curious has this...

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/6670...ing-comment-roils-mississippi-runoff-election

In a video posted on Twitter over the weekend, Republican Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith of Mississippi is seen complimenting a supporter by saying, "If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row." Hyde-Smith, who is white, is the appointed incumbent locked in a runoff for her Senate seat with Democratic challenger Mike Espy, a former congressman and U.S. agriculture secretary who is African-American.

Espy's campaign calls Hyde-Smith's comments "reprehensible" and says they have no place in political discourse.

"We need leaders, not dividers, and her words show that she lacks the understanding and judgment to represent the people of our state," said Espy campaign spokesman Danny Blanton in a statement.

Mississippi has a tortured history of racially motivated killings. According to the NAACP, Mississippi had 581 lynchings between 1882 and 1968, more than any other state. The state's population has the highest percentage of African-Americans of any state, 37 percent according to the last census.

"Hyde-Smith's decision to joke about 'hanging,' in a state known for its violent and terroristic history toward African-Americans is sick," said NAACP President and CEO Derrick Johnson in a statement to NPR. "To envision this brutal and degenerate type of frame during a time when Black people, Jewish People and immigrants are still being targeted for violence by White nationalists and racists is hateful and hurtful."

During an appearance on CNN, Espy was asked if the comment was racist.

"All I know is we need leaders now here in 2018 that will bring us together," Espy replied. "My campaign is a campaign that tries to reach across the racial chasm, reach across the party chasm and bring us together."

...had any measurable impact on the Mississippi race. I know Espy is doomed but has there been any kind of dip for Hyde-Smith whatsoever?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
CA also flipped two long time republican Central Valley districts in the State Senate (in favor of two Hispanic women, no less). Gives the state a democratic supermajority in both the state senate and state assembly, in addition to democratic Gov in Gavin Newsome. Come try us, you orange fuck.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
KATIE PORTER HAS TAKEN THE LEAD IN CA-45
Dr7QIgzUUAAwfbQ.jpg:large

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
People were celebrating 50% turnout this election. 50%...in the "shining beacon of democracy" in the most hotly anticipated and closely watched race in a lifetime.

Every vote counts. If we have this excitement in 2020, we are golden!
And I think we will. The last two years on repeat, except, Trump will be extra cranky because he's actually going to be be told no and probably having to deal with legal issues throughout. If two years of Trump can lead to a mid-term with presidential election turnout, good god 2020 will be amazing.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Notice if you go to most of the major news sites, probably all, none of them have their election pages easily available anymore. It happens every time. They've moved on, even though this stuff can carry on for days if not weeks. Which of course they have, not knocking them per se, but it gives an impression this stuff all wraps up in 24 hours tops. I can't even get Google's results pages to pop no matter what I search for and they were pretty much impossible to avoid searching for anything close to results day of.

Keep it in mind for when it happens again in 2020 and people are besides themselves that we haven't suddenly devised a way to solve the myriad issues of situations that need to be accounted for in voting in such a way that we have 100% accurate reporting the microsecond the polls close.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kamala's floor is second place in the primary

I literally cannot conceive of a world where she becomes third or less.

Aerogamer

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad that a "young" Kim won, that is Andy Kim! Hope Gil Cisneros pulls through as well. So happy at the prospect of all of OC going blue. Katie did amazing as well, great person for the district. I am so excited for 2020, I want this momentum to keep going. Remember we select the candidate at the primary levels, so vote primaries too.

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017
I am glad that a "young" Kim won, that is Andy Kim! Hope Gil Cisneros pulls through as well. So happy at the prospect of all of OC going blue. Katie did amazing as well, great person for the district. I am so excited for 2020, I want this momentum to keep going. Remember we select the candidate at the primary levels, so vote primaries too.

Yes. And if people have problems with Pelosi or anyone else not being progressive enough, support candidates to the left of them in the primaries! At worst, that candidate loses, but may force the incumbent to move left on certain issues. Especially in the Bay Area, NYC, and other metropolitan areas, this is a way to force safe democratic areas to move more left.

Aerogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. And if people have problems with Pelosi or anyone else not being progressive enough, support candidates to the left of them in the primaries! At worst, that candidate loses, but may force the incumbent to move left on certain issues. Especially in the Bay Area, NYC, and other metropolitan areas, this is a way to force safe democratic areas to move more left.

Exactly, I hope many people see what voting can do now because of these results, and take the initiative from step 1. That is how we make our voice heard.

Gil Cisneros has also taken the lead over Young Kim with the updated vote totals. It's happening.

https://medium.com/@RyanDack/state-...s-cisneros-takes-the-lead-edition-8b56440ce17

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Y'all getting arrogant again. Don't lose the fervor you had two weeks ago or 2020 will be another 2016 nightmare.

I don't think people here have been arrogant. If anything, I feel many have approached this in a very chastened manner. And in the aftermath, I think we'll continue to be as focused going into 2020.

In the meantime, raise a glass. Take a load off. And above all else, drop a chicken!

EDIT: I was really hoping I could post this song to ERA members from Brazil after the Brazilian elections but in wake of the results I felt that it might be best to shelf this theme for the time being. Wish I could have dropped this for Beto O'Rourke. Oh well. Congratulations blue wave! Now onto 2020.

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jamie Dupree @jamiedupree

The AP calls CA39 for Democrat Gil Cisneros, defeating Republican Young Kim. That gives Democrats +37 in the House

5 seats remain undecided, and one seat called for the GOP (CA21) is now considered a toss up by some experts

Reminder:

Daniel Dale @ddale8

The conservative media ecosystem blasted the mainstream media for not immediately writing about the historic victory of Young Kim...who looks like she might well lose.