• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Brown should be lock for VP IMO

Only if the Dems retake the Ohio governorship in 2020 or seem like they are capable of doing so. Otherwise you just lose a Senate seat. VP candidates from the Senate should only be from places where we can be damned certain they'll be replaced by a Democrat or D-caucusing independent.

I just did the math and setting the ratio for the House at 750,000 to 1 would give us 440 reps under the current system. Little change except more representation to places on the bubble of getting their next rep, like Texas, Florida, or Georgia. So you'd get what we have now.

But ideally it would be set to whoever has the lowest population is the standard for getting 1 rep until such a time as the least populous state gets 750,000 residents, which is Wyoming with 585,000 people. If we rounded to 600,000 that would be 550 in the House, a more marked change.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
At this point the only viable option is to vote Justice Democrat until we unseat all these corporate politicians. Democratic senators voting no on things that would help Americans because they get cooperate money is dumb and stupid. ie allowing American's to import cheaper medicine from Canada. I also wish Hillary would just fade away into obscurity because people are tired of hearing about her and her dumb campaign . She lost getting salty over it won't help us win 2020 or help us get a Democratic candidate that isn't bought off. Why would anyone want someone as president that voted for the ndda,the iraq war and supported the tpp among other things..

Veritigo

Oct 25, 2017
Only if the Dems retake the Ohio governorship in 2020 or seem like they are capable of doing so. Otherwise you just lose a Senate seat. VP candidates from the Senate should only be from places where we can be damned certain they'll be replaced by a Democrat or D-caucusing independent.
Depends on if he wins reelection next year. I actually think he might lose it.

Brown shouldn't be VP anyway.
He should be president.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
This tax bill is depressing. It feels like every other day I'm reading more and more about it and it just sounds genuinely terrifying.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
At this point the only viable option is to vote Justice Democrat until we unseat all these corporate politicians. Democratic senators voting no on things that would help Americans because they get cooperate money is dumb and stupid. ie allowing American's to import cheaper medicine from Canada. I also wish Hillary would just fade away into obscurity because people are tired of hearing about her and her dumb campaign . She lost getting salty over it won't help us win 2020 or help us get a Democratic candidate that isn't bought off. Why would anyone want someone as president that voted for the ndda,the iraq war and supported the tpp among other things..
What brought on this non sequitur ?

The ec is working as designed. The founders never intended for the President to be decided by a popular vote. Given how little most voters know about how the government is meant to function and current events, I doubt the founders would change their minds. Straight up democracy only works with an informed electorate and and an unbiased media. Neither of which we have. Ranked choice voting is one of the few reforms we need among others. I like the Electoral College. I do not like how states choose electors. That's what's gumming up the system the Founders created and confusing people to think popular vote is better.

You do realise that most functioning democracies are decided on popular vote? What kind of insular thinking leads one to not conclude that the EC is nothing but an anachronism of a bygone era?

Last edited:

SpartanDad

Nov 1, 2017

Nina turner and bernie sanders for every office! Yea let's do this, and I'll check back with you when democrats lose bigly.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
*shrug*

Sure. But electing idiots, doesn't change things for the better.
How are they idiots? Stuff like that needs an explanation. Some justice dems are already in congress. One of them got Yemen declared an unconstitutional war which it was. I just want change because people who look like me have a chance of being shot by police just for getting out id even when asked.

Tankette

Oct 30, 2017
How are they idiots?
For one, they call for knee-jerk policies that gives them good tummyfeels but doesn't solve the actual problem at large. And they demonstrated that they have the unique combination of incompetence and stubbornness that makes then carry negative value to their constituents once they're in power. (see Bob Marshall)

They're known as the Green Tea Party for a reason.

---

#StillWithHer

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what to think of black face used in private. Sure it's racist. And sure there shouldn't be photos of a deputy sheriff in public with it on. But the tweet says he should be fired? I don't know about that. Reprimanded? Sure. Fired? I don't know if this rises to that level and would likely depend on other factors not public.

You trust this guy to be in charge of law enforcement policy when it comes to black people?

Veritigo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what to think of black face used in private. Sure it's racist. And sure there shouldn't be photos of a deputy sheriff in public with it on. But the tweet says he should be fired? I don't know about that. Reprimanded? Sure. Fired? I don't know if this rises to that level and would likely depend on other factors not public.
Racists shouldn't have a place in law enforcement. How can you expect someone like that to be fair when it comes to arrests?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Appealing to the Founders isn't really a good argument, at least in left circles. Many of them were ambivalent about slavery, and were certainly upper class elites setting up systems to benefit themselves over the rabble.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Importing drugs from Canada is incredibly stupid policy.
It just basically means we gave up as a country in leveraging lower drug prices, and just decided to use Canada's work on it.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Appealing to the Founders isn't really a good argument, at least in left circles. Many of them were ambivalent about slavery, and were certainly upper class elites setting up systems to benefit themselves over the rabble.

Eh, I think this kind of judgement reveals the limitations of historical analysis from that sort of perspective. Pretty much every revolutionary leader, liberal or leftist, was a bourgeois compromiser before they became founding fathers. Being a successful revolutionary requires a power base.

Oct 25, 2017

Appealing to founder arguments are usually empty appeals to people who have no idea what the founders intended. From a legal background, founder's intent does appeal to me. But founder's intent is just one piece of the puzzle typically and it's not always clear what the founder's intended since they weren't a group of people who agreed on every little aspect about everything to begin with. There was a ton of compromise. And if you need to see the lack of agreement you need go no further than marbury vs madison where essentially 2 founding fathers disagreed over constitutional legal issues of massive importance.

You trust this guy to be in charge of law enforcement policy when it comes to black people?

Racists shouldn't have a place in law enforcement. How can you expect someone like that to be fair when it comes to arrests?

The decision, if it were mine, would be weighed towards being fired but it's not like I know the person, his history of job performance, and other factors that may not be available to public domain.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I think this kind of judgement reveals the limitations of historical analysis from that sort of perspective. Pretty much every revolutionary leader, liberal or leftist, was a bourgeois compromiser before they became founding fathers. Being a successful revolutionary requires a power base.

Appealing to founder arguments are usually empty appeals to people who have no idea what the founders intended. From a legal background, founder's intent does appeal to me. But founder's intent is just one piece of the puzzle typically and it's not always clear what the founder's intended since they weren't a group of people who agreed on every little aspect about everything to begin with. There was a ton of compromise. And if you need to see the lack of agreement you need go no further than marbury vs madison where essentially 2 founding fathers disagreed over constitutional legal issues of massive importance.

I was a bit too brief. My point is that appealing to the Founders is no different a fallacy than appealing to authority in general. Saying "this is how the Founders intended it to work" doesn't mean anything. They intended for a lot of bad and good things, and you have to put in more effort to argue which one will count.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My one, very conservative local newspaper (our county vote last year was like 70% Trump/24% Clinton/6% other) has just recently started openly shitting on Trump beyond the absolute minimum you could expect. There is a front page headline today "Trump immediately condemns Franken, refuses to acknowledge Moore" etc. National polls are one thing, but I'm actually feeling the tide shifting in person on this level for the first time.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
My one, very conservative local newspaper (our county vote last year was like 70% Trump/24% Clinton/6% other) has just recently started openly shitting on Trump beyond the absolute minimum you could expect. There is a front page headline today "Trump immediately condemns Franken, refuses to acknowledge Moore" etc. National polls are one thing, but I'm actually feeling the tide shifting in person on this level for the first time.

I'm deep in Trump country, so I'm not seeing the harsh headlines for him. I'm just not seeing anything at all. People here know he's a turd, and they'd rather just not talk about it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd care more about smaller states if most of them did not suck, electoral college was designed to protect slavery, dump it.

I think it's a bit more complex than that. I think it's commonly agreed upon that the EC + 3/5ths together were made up to allow for more voting power in states that had non-voting slaves. But it wasn't abandoned either, even after slavery. It could have been changed with the 13th/14th amendment I'd imagine? Not really sure of the history there, if it was even considered. Perhaps the reason 3/5ths was repealed but the electoral college was not is because people still found some value in the electoral college.

I'm not against the EC being abolished. It's been proven rather useless rubber stamp seeing as someone like Trump was elected. And yes, while it is rooted in slavery, doesn't necessarily mean it is a reason to dump it now.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm deep in Trump country, so I'm not seeing the harsh headlines for him. I'm just not seeing anything at all. People here know he's a turd, and they'd rather just not talk about it.
The Alabama Trump voters I'm indirectly in contact with are fairly disappointed. "I mean don't get me wrong, he's better than Hillary" etc. But I don't think they'll turn out for Moore, especially if they're distracted by Alabama football. And if this legislative inaction keeps up — or god forbid, a recession hits — I don't think they'll turn out for Trump in 2020.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I was a bit too brief. My point is that appealing to the Founders is no different a fallacy than appealing to authority in general. Saying "this is how the Founders intended it to work" doesn't mean anything. They intended for a lot of bad and good things, and you have to put in more effort to argue which one will count.

Yup, total agreement here.

I think it's a bit more complex than that. I think it's commonly agreed upon that the EC + 3/5ths together were made up to allow for more voting power in states that had non-voting slaves. But it wasn't abandoned either, even after slavery. It could have been changed with the 13th/14th amendment I'd imagine? Not really sure of the history there, if it was even considered. Perhaps the reason 3/5ths was repealed but the electoral college was not is because people still found some value in the electoral college.

I'm not against the EC being abolished. It's been proven rather useless rubber stamp seeing as someone like Trump was elected. And yes, while it is rooted in slavery, doesn't necessarily mean it is a reason to dump it now.

I mean, once the electoral college has been established there are lots of reasons it's hard to get rid of it, starting with the obvious: three-quarters of the States would need to ratify the amendment, and none of the smaller states would be likely to do it. So I wouldn't recommend arguing from Chesterton's fence here. Self-interest is sufficient to explain why the EC persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.