• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm old enough to remember when we took an entire month to finish OTs.
(Also every other possible title before November 6th is pointless.)

Just a few reminders:

- This thread isn't a venting ground for EtcetEra threads. (But the Discord is!)
- This thread isn't a Twitter feed or a live TV comment feed, so either give some context for what you're posting about or don't fuckin' do it

My favorites:

For understanding policy and political science in the US:
  • The Weeds (Vox) - more focused on policy than drama, very informative, they have a 'white paper of the week' segment where they go over new poli-sci research. Not as dry as you'd expect though (my overall favorite).
The Supreme Court:
  • Amicus (Slate) - Dahlia Lithwick is a great court reporter and has fantastic guests on to talk about the supreme court (often guests that are directly involved with relevant cases), though her guests are usually from the left so sometimes you come away a little overoptimistic -- still incredibly informative though.
For fantastic interviews:
  • Ezra Klein Show (Vox) - deep dives into big ideas, important subjects. Ezra has one of the best interview styles in the business and he makes sure each minute is packed full of valuable insight.
Peek into the criminal justice system:
  • Stay Tuned with Preet - former US attorney Preet Bahara knows his stuff and has great guests on to talk about the law and criminal justice system
National Security:
  • The Lawfare Podcast - centered around national security but branching off into all sorts of areas, each episode offers a serious discussion about a given topic
Debates:
  • Intelligence Squared Debates - literally Oxford style debates, 2v2 in 3 stages. Great way to be informed of both sides of an argument over any given topic.
Economics:
  • Slate Money - business, finance, macroeconomics, monetary policy, regulations -- very informative and somehow they make all this stuff entertaining
  • Planet Money (NPR) - shorter, more produced, not quite as in the weeds
General political discussion podcasts:
  • Political Gabfest (Slate) - John Dickerson of CBS This Morning, Emily Bazlon of NYT, David Plotz (formerly at Slate) each bring their own bit of expertise for a well rounded discussion
  • Pod Save America (Crooked Media) - former aides to Obama provide an entertaining and uncommonly insider look into politics
Daily podcasts for your Alexa Flash Briefing:
  • Up First (NPR) - brief overview of today's stories
  • The Daily (NYT) - similar, but they usually have a deeper dive into a particular story that isn't necessarily breaking news
From across the aisle:
  • The Daily Standard (The Weekly Standard) - if you want to expose yourself to conservatives, this is gonna be the most reasonable, least annoying one. But they're still conservatives.
  • If you can't stand a whole podcast of conservatives, KCRW's Left Right & Center is what it sounds like and is pretty good but Rich Lowry is more Trumpy than the people at The Weekly Standard.
Series podcasts (these explore specific topics like documentaries):
  • Slow Burn (Slate) - each season explores a major scandal so you can get a sense of how it felt as it was happening -- the first season is about Nixon and Watergate, the second season is about Clinton's Monica Lewinski scandal
  • More Perfect (Radiolab) - exploring the history of the Supreme Court -- super, SUPER fascinating.
  • The Wilderness (Crooked Media) - a series exploring how the Democratic Party can save itself and the country.
  • The RFK Tapes - similar to Slow Burn, goes back to look at Robert F Kennedy's assassination
  • What Trump Can Teach Us About Con Law - a series that uses recent Trump news as a jumping off point to teach constitutional law, hosted by constitutional law professor Elizabeth Joh and the guy that does 99% Invisible (another good podcast but less political)

Final primary: Louisiana, November 6th (House elections)
THEN THE ULTIMATE HELLCYCLE BEGINS

Previous threads:
US PoliERA 2018 |OT9| Next week has been EXHAUSTING
US PoliERA 2018 |OT8| Democrats projected to gain F5 seats
US PoliERA 2018 |OT7| Tell Me The Bad Things That Happened Since I Fell Asleep
US PoliERA 2018 |OT6| An Unmitigated Disaster
US PoliERA 2018 |OT5| A Total Goat Rodeo
US PoliERA 2018 |OT4| Sweetheart, this is Watergate, goodbye!
US PoliERA 2018 |OT3| In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Ryan

US PoliEra 2018 |OT2| Flip, Flip, Flip-a-Gatesia
US PoliEra 2018 |OT| Welcome to the Resistance, the only funded organization in D.C.

US PoliEra 2017 |OT3| This thread was created with a one vote margin
US PoliEra 2017 |OT2| Tinkle Traitor Soldier Spy
US PoliEra 2017 |OT| At least Rand Paul had a lawn to cushion the blow

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Kavanaugh will not be confirmed. I don't even think it will be close. Something like 55-45 against confirmation. Once the writing is on the wall more will awaken from the cave (the main three bring it to 52, probably Portman, Sasse and pick the next best of the worst...Paul, probably because he's an ophthalmologist and the jokes would write themselves if he were to vote "yea") . Only the true evildoers will vote him in.

Last edited:

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 51, and I can remember when I was six my mother whooping and hollering in the car one day. She turned to me and showed me the front page of the newspaper, which read in 80pt type, "AGNEW RESIGNS". I had no idea what either of those words meant.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I'm still 75% on him getting confirmed, though that's down from the 90-95% I had last week! Nothing has fundamentally changed since before his confirmation hearings, through the accusations and the hearing last week and the new misconduct reveals the last few days. We're in the same boat of inexplicably wondering how Collins and/or Murkowski will vote yes.
Only the true evildoers will vote him in.
You know that's still like 48 or 49 votes, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Kavanaugh will not be confirmed. I don't even think it will be close. Something like 55-45 against confirmation. Once the writing is on the wall more will awaken from the cave (the main three bring it to 52, probably Portman, Sasse and pick the next best of the worst...Paul, probably because he's an ophthalmologist and the jokes would write themselves if he were to vote "yea") . Only the true evildoers will vote him in.

You would probably need to be on Ayahuasca to envision this scenario.

Would be great if this ended up being how it went down though.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I predict that, this month, a whole bunch of stupid bullshit will occur.

Oct 25, 2017
And so begins and ends the Ballad of Bart O'Kavanaugh.

Also, Bernie and his bros sure do know which side of their bread to butter.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
And so begins and ends the Ballad of Bart O'Kavanaugh.

Also, Bernie and his bros sure do know which side of their bread to butter.

Article says theSenste hasn't set up any special procedure and would have to clear 60 votes to beat a filibuster. This is nothing but grandstanding, and it make some think a little less of Bernie tbqh.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fucking Bernie thinks if we just let the US install permanent autocracy it will somehow work out for us. Putin, Trump, whoever, he'll take it.

Veritigo

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to imagine a world where Portman, the dude that's been the point man working with Kavanaugh during this whole process, votes against him. Portman has done absolutely nothing to earn him any sort of "best of the worst" badge and has done everything to prove he's part of the "true evildoers" club.

Kavanaugh isn't getting less than 48 votes.

OP
OP
Midnight Jon

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Expecting Rob Portman to do anything that wouldn't be slathering his mouth all over the balls of an anthropomorphization of the Republican agenda is like expecting an oven at 450 degrees to feel cold to the touch, in that you're totally welcome to think that but it's gonna be your own damn fault when you get burnt.

The only half-decent opinion that man has ever had literally only exists because his son came out.

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Trying to imagine a world where Portman, the dude that's been the point man working with Kavanaugh during this whole process, votes against him. Portman has done absolutely nothing to earn him any sort of "best of the worst" badge and has done everything to prove he's part of the "true evildoers" club.

Okay. So maybe he votes yes then. I highly doubt some of these people want to be on record as voting for a failed SC nominee and for these reasons why. The ads write themselves. Which ones will peel...I dunno, perhaps waterboy, but I think Kavanaugh loses by a margin larger than 52-48...that was my main point.

OP
OP
Midnight Jon

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I highly doubt some of these people want to be on record as voting for a failed SC nominee and for these reasons why. The ads write themselves.
Portman in particular absolutely doesn't give a shit what he's on record as voting for, because the only way he's losing that particular seat is if the election cycle somehow reverts to the Depression era starting this year

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Final primary: Louisiana, November 6th (House elections)
THEN THE ULTIMATE HELLCYCLE BEGINS
1. Louisiana is dumb.
2. Imagine if the Senate splits 50-50 on election day and control of the Senate comes down to Espy pulling off a miracle in the runoff for the MS special election (D:)
3. Definitely not excited about a Trump lame duck if (when) Republicans lose bigly. Here there be dragons.

4. My family decided to plan a reunion of sorts that'll take place in the LITERAL DAYS BEFORE THE MIDTERMS (like, the "return home" day is actually Nov 6) and I'm secretly dreading it, in no small part because the plan involves me accompanying my conservative parents on the lengthy roadtrip there & back. On the plus side, I won't have to pay for airfare, gas, lodging, whatever. Downside? Being trapped in close quarters with folks who watch fox news and listen to talk radio all day and will randomly bitch about NFL players kneeling or whatever the culture war issue of the moment is. Gonna try my best to keep some headphones in and bite my tongue if any nonsense comes up.

OP
OP
Midnight Jon

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
i'm probably gonna be streaming for 16 hours like 4 days after the election and then flying out to DC once my body's done recovering from that

so that's gonna be a fun week

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully next week i'll be exhausted from celebrating the defeat of kavanaugh

but this week is going to be one hell of a run-up to that vote

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 51, and I can remember when I was six my mother whooping and hollering in the car one day. She turned to me and showed me the front page of the newspaper, which read in 80pt type, "AGNEW RESIGNS". I had no idea what either of those words meant.

I was six when Kennedy was shot. I had no idea what a president was, and only the vaguest notion of what the USA was, but it was a big thing in our family on account of Kennedy being a Catholic.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Wishing the weekend would come soon so I don't have to spend much time thinking if the senate will ascend the liar and maybe rapist to the SCOTUS.

Also legitimately questioning how a Joe Biden run for president wouldn't immediately sink ala Jeb! considering the
#MeToo movement and now the bullshit being dredged up from the Anita Hill hearing.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

They seem to want to get there though

Democrats can point to apparent contradictions in statements by Kavanaugh's former classmates and his testimony to senators last week about his drinking as a younger man, as well as phrases in his high school yearbook, but that doesn't amount to tangible proof of a deliberately misleading response.

"The things he was talking about that reasonable, thinking people believe he was lying about … those things are just too fuzzy," said Jennifer Rodgers, a former federal prosecutor and lecturer at Columbia Law School. "They could call for it as a political play. I just think it's very tough as a prosecutable case."

Paul Butler, a professor at Georgetown Law School, pointed out that bringing any criminal case against Kavanaugh would require proof that the statements at issue were "material' to his testimony."

"Another issue would be whether the discrepancies are just issues of characterization or semantics, i.e. what's 'sloppy drunk' to one person is 'sometimes I had a few too many' to Kavanaugh," Butler said by email.
To keep in mind.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Wishing the weekend would come soon so I don't have to spend much time thinking if the senate will ascend the liar and maybe rapist to the SCOTUS.

Also legitimately questioning how a Joe Biden run for president wouldn't immediately sink ala Jeb! considering the
#MeToo movement and now the bullshit being dredged up from the Anita Hill hearing.

Only way it happens is with a "big name" woman as VP - Harris, Gillbrand, Klobuchar. And it's debatable if that wouldn't look just as bad but in a different way - the optics of a highly competent woman playing second banana to an old white guy are not great.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Ah! A new thread to barepy post in because its going too fast. :P
To continue from the previous thread, my first political memory/news memory other than 9/11 vaguely was watching the 2004 results with my grandma and seeing Bush getting reelected again and seeing her get all emotional about it. Sad night. :(
For reference, I'm 23 and was born in '94.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I remember being taking to the polling both when my dad voted for Bush in '00 and the Nickelodeon TV shows talking about the Bush v. Gore election.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

President Trump personally directed an effort in February to stop Stormy Daniels from publicly describing an alleged sexual encounter with Mr. Trump, people familiar with the events say.

In a phone call, Mr. Trump instructed his then-lawyer Michael Cohen to seek a restraining order against the former adult-film actress, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, through a confidential arbitration proceeding, one of the people said. Messrs. Trump and Cohen had learned shortly before that Ms. Clifford was considering giving a media interview about her alleged relationship with Mr. Trump, despite having signed an October 2016 nondisclosure agreement.

Mr. Trump told Mr. Cohen to coordinate the legal response with Eric Trump, one of the president's sons, and another outside lawyer who had represented Mr. Trump and the Trump Organization in other matters, the people said. Eric Trump, who is running the company with his brother in Mr. Trump's absence, then tasked a Trump Organization staff attorney in California with signing off on the arbitration paperwork, these people said.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

I'm sure all of this was done above board and won't cause the President further legal troubles.

Direct involvement of the president and his son in the effort to silence Ms. Clifford hasn't previously been reported. The accounts of that effort recently provided to The Wall Street Journal suggest that the president's ties to his company continued into this year and contradict public statements made at the time by the Trump Organization, the White House and Mr. Cohen.

In March, the Trump Organization denied any role in the arbitration, saying its lawyer assisted in her "individual capacity." At the same time, the White House issued blanket denials when asked about a hush payment to Ms. Clifford and directed questions to Mr. Cohen, who had called the deal a private transaction between himself and the former adult-film star. Mr. Trump has denied any sexual encounter with Ms. Clifford.

Eric Trump then approved a statement to the Journal drafted by Ms. Martin with input from Mr. Rosen and Alan Garten, the Trump Organization's chief legal officer, these people said. The statement said Ms. Martin had facilitated the filing of the arbitration "in her individual capacity" and that "the company has had no involvement in the matter."

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
Good morning, everyone. This thread will give me plenty of deja vu, dread, and hopefully the briefest moments of joy.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
So basically undecideds who were always gonna vote for her anyway officially say they're voting Babs.

Oct 27, 2017
That WSJ report, if Avenatti knew about all that then he was very smart not to say anything about it, and just let people think he was just complaining on twitter.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow this Amazon news is going to be misconstrued as something Trump caused.

Also, incoming Amazon stock price drop because they are looking out for their workers for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.