• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The framing is terrible, but the poll is still pretty significant. WoC make up a pretty big portion of the get-shit-done leg of the Democratic operation. Who they get behind is going to have a huge early advantage in organization and enthusiasm.

It also highlights that Bernie has done little, if anything, to ingratiate himself with the movers and shakers of the party. Hopefully when he gets pummeled and starts whining about establishment conspiracies like last time, people will see through it.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This is more than a little bit embarrassing. We are all going to need to steel ourselves against the power of the un-factchecked 2020 primary tweet.
Just ignore all polling for now. It's all just name recognition, once everyone announces and starts campaigning we'll get a real look at what's up.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

Ah, Pam Bondi.

This is like that thing with the inaugural commitee + Trump U. settlement both being...$25m even.

So many assholes are soon to be gone from our lives come January, Gowdy being one of them.

Gone? His Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ass will be around HERE.

I'm trying to figure out why the RNC would want to do this. I mean, I know they already kept Cohen on for a while even after he was indicted, and I'm betting a lot of illegal funds were funneled to them via the NRA and such, but this still seems like a dangerous gamble considering the campaign finance violations that have already come out against Trump, and more crimes likely to follow. Is this a power grab from Trump to avoid a primary challenge, or are they trying to hide under Trump's wing in hopes his executive privilege will keep them safe from investigators?

GhjDOVG.jpg

Their parts have long been cast, now only the final act is left.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Should I be upset about the Trump campaign/RNC merger? I don't get it. He has already completely dominated the GOP and squeezed out any possible dissent - what about this org chart reshuffle change about that?

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I'm assuming the merger is being done to try to cover up all the money shuffling they've almost certainly done and make any future movements easier/legal. It sounds like it's a power move (and probably is to an extent), but this is Trump we're talking about, so it's assuredly rooted in scamming people.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well I'm just not super sure how the rnc benefits from this.
They don't, but the President is the leader of the RNC/DNC while in office.

(this may be something that needs to be altered going forward, because we saw w/ Obama that campaign management skills didn't translate to internal party management skills)

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Special election in VA HD-24, a heavily Trump district. Results not quite final, but looks like the result will be ~60/40 GOP.

Trump won this district by 34. A 20-point loss would be a 14-point swing in our favor - broadly in line with the special and off-year elections in 2017 and early 2018. Bodes well for our races next year, though we should of course wait for more data.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Should I be upset about the Trump campaign/RNC merger? I don't get it. He has already completely dominated the GOP and squeezed out any possible dissent - what about this org chart reshuffle change about that?
I don't feel upset by it. If the RNC wants to tie themselves even more to Trump then go right ahead. That's just asking for trouble as more time goes by.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
You get to see the Brown people fleeing from regimes that want to kill them, and laugh at them. Look at those kids dying! Bonus!

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the merger is being done to try to cover up all the money shuffling they've almost certainly done and make any future movements easier/legal. It sounds like it's a power move (and probably is to an extent), but this is Trump we're talking about, so it's assuredly rooted in scamming people.
By merging Trump and RNC you pretty much annihilate the chance of a repub to primary him, which they are worried about. The dude would have a better shot going independent.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nancy just needs to do regular coffee chats with America where she snatches wigs.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Also from the last week:

Sanders is at 58-23. Biden is at 56-22. Everyone else has much lower name recognition, which limits the usefulness of the fav number by itself. Not that name recognition is meaningless, but that's something candidates can improve over time.

actually if you see the replies apparently not even half of them are black at all

Yeah, that's more than just a little misleading.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I am partial to the theory he wants to continue to steer money to his interests, and believes that he is shielded so long as he has a GOP Senate and a toothless FEC

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
well I'm just not super sure how the rnc benefits from this.
Me neither really. On paper, it sounds like it'll be easier to coordinate between the two if they are effectively the same organization. In practice, it's going to be still be two different staffs with overlapping responsibilities, and I'm not sure how merging the two without like laying off an entire management team from one or the other doesn't create the same kind of conflicts they'd otherwise already have.

in any event I want Trump to lose anyway, so all the better if he can sink the RNC at the same time

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

My guess is that it's more about "control" than helping obfuscate shenanigans. Shenanigans are a given any though.

I think this is good for Democrats longer term though, assuming Trump loses re-election. He taints every organization through poor staffing choices, misguided strategy/policy, and a sprinkling of illegal activity. The RNC will have a lot of work to do to repair the damage when Trump and cronies abandon everything after a loss, work they need to do potentially under the shadow of investigations.

If he ends up winning re-election, then he has done the right thing by himself as he is even more entrenched as Republican politicans are even more beholden to him.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see the BernieBots are out in full force trying to bring Beto down already.

Fucking LOL.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Artistically designed beautiful pointless wall.

1. Nothing gets built fast by the Government
2. Lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits from everyone and everywhere
3. All the roads this thing needs will cost a fortune
4. Plus personnel to man the dumb thing

Yeah, it's going to save us billions. /s

Edit: Wait... billions a month?? Anyone who believes this conman was dropped on their head as a baby.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
The framing is terrible, but the poll is still pretty significant. WoC make up a pretty big portion of the get-shit-done leg of the Democratic operation. Who they get behind is going to have a huge early advantage in organization and enthusiasm.

It also highlights that Bernie has done little, if anything, to ingratiate himself with the movers and shakers of the party. Hopefully when he gets pummeled and starts whining about establishment conspiracies like last time, people will see through it.
If establishment kingmakers torpedo his efforts again, you think that will... delegitimize his establishment critiques?

It'll be interesting to see how the anti establishment tones of 2016 are different in 2020 (could argue that Clinton's presence elevated anti establishment feelings across the board, so will be lower w/her gone and handicap Bernie's brand), but measuring the outsider independent by how well he gets along with party insiders is, uh, something.

Oct 25, 2017
I was, honestly, only against the wall for aesthetic reasons. Maybe we can order it off of Etsy or something? Get something real nice.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
If establishment kingmakers torpedo his efforts again, you think that will... delegitimize his establishment critiques?
"Kingmakers" is an interesting way to refer to "Democratic organizers, activists, and leaders of color."

"Torpedo" is a peculiar way to frame "get behind the candidate that reachers out for their support."

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

NPR @NPR

The Senate has passed a bipartisan criminal justice bill aimed at overhauling federal prisons and reducing recidivism by a vote of 87 to 12.

The bill goes next to the House, which passed a more modest version of the legislation earlier this year. That chamber is expected to take it up this week.

Frank Thorp V @frankthorp

Here are the 12 NO votes on the criminal justice reform bill that just passed in the Senate 87-12:
Barrasso
Cotton
Enzi
Kennedy
Kyl
Murkowski
Risch
Rounds
Rubio
Sasse
Shelby
Sullivan

Edit:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

America is the greatest Country in the world and my job is to fight for ALL citizens, even those who have made mistakes. Congratulations to the Senate on the bi-partisan passing of a historic Criminal Justice Reform Bill....

....This will keep our communities safer, and provide hope and a second chance, to those who earn it. In addition to everything else, billions of dollars will be saved. I look forward to signing this into law!

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
HOW THE FUCK DOES BERNIE HAVE 58% FAVORABILITY

What you see on Twitter/forums is not what you see on the ground.

Also... he hasn't really been attacked yet. I think his favorability would go down by quite a bit if people had heard some of the things he's said in the past (or even the present).

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I mean, I have a favorable opinion of Bernie. I won't be voting for him in the Primaries though.

The same goes for many others.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
"Kingmakers" is an interesting way to refer to "Democratic organizers, activists, and leaders of color."

"Torpedo" is a peculiar way to frame "get behind the candidate that reachers out for their support."
I chose that framing (though "kingmakers" to describe "movers and shakers of the party" -- not PoC in particular as you're accusing) to illustrate how outsiders view insiders and highlight the disconnect among many that post here.

Bernie is so frustratingly popular to many here, in part, because they don't seem to understand how unpopular politics is to many, many people. Him butting heads with the establishment is his strength -- it's what makes him so popular among much of the public, but it also naturally makes him unpopular with establishment crowd. Point being, if he is going to pull it off (I'm doubting), it probably won't be due to him cozying up with party movers and shakers so that's not really what you want to look at as a metric.

edit: one of the big reasons I don't think Bernie will be as strong in 2020 is that since 2016, many dems have learned from him. Kamala/Beto swore off PAC money, Beto structured his campaign a lot like Bernie', even hiring some of the same consultants. More dems are finding ways to appeal to people that generally find politics offputting -- as a result, Bernie isn't seen as the only option for these people and his weaknesses matter more. The effects Bernie has had on the party have generally been great.

Last edited:

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I chose that framing (though "kingmakers" to describe "movers and shakers of the party" -- not PoC in particular as you're accusing) to illustrate how outsiders view insiders and highlight the disconnect among many that post here.

Last I checked, you also post here. I'm not sure how you figure you have a better idea of how "outsiders" view things than anybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.