• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...

Unfortunately, Facebook and Twitter have amplified Fox News (and conservative media's) reach beyond what one can see in the ratings.

And it's not Facebook and Twitter's fault. Conservatives through the radio and through email chains have been exploiting their audience for decades and decades.

It is absolutely Facebook and Twitter's fault.

They completely reworked how society communicates with itself with no regard for the consequences other than considerations for their business model. We are still in the part of the Algorithmic Revolution that is analogous to the part of the Industrial Revolution where all factories just dumped toxic waste into the air and water with no regard for anything but efficiency and profit.

What we are seeing right now works on an entirely different scale than email chains.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Dave Weigel @daveweigel

House GOP simultaneously arguing 1) that Dems must not waste time investigating Trump, and 2) that the probes of Clinton's email server and foundation must continue until the Sun explodes. https://twitter.com/chadpergram/status/1074634819982757889?s=21

Chad Pergram @ChadPergram

Fmr FBI Director James Comey appears again today behind closed doors for a 2nd interview with the Hse Oversight/Judiciary Cmtes

Manu Raju @mkraju

Mark Meadows, entering James Comey's second day of testimony, said there were "inconsistencies" in Comey's testimony, telling reporters that Comey needs to explain when he learned about the DNC and Clinton camp payments to Fusion GPS. "At what point did he become aware of that?"

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It is absolutely Facebook and Twitter's fault.

They completely reworked how society communicates with itself with no regard for the consequences other than considerations for their business model. We are still in the part of the Algorithmic Revolution that is analogous to the part of the Industrial Revolution where all factories just dumped toxic waste into the air and water with no regard for anything but efficiency and profit.

What we are seeing right now works on an entirely different scale than email chains.
At some point people need to stop shrugging their shoulders and saying "the algorithm did it." I remember a story coming out about Uber using surge pricing during crises and a lot of the reaction was along the lines that the critics just didn't understand how the algorithms work (along with the usual "free market" blather), as though the algorithms absolve their creators of all responsibility.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Buttigeg is making a run for governor in 2020 and not president.

Apparently the US military provided Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates with airplane refueling while they bombed Yemen into oblivion, then didn't even charge them the proper amount of money to do so due to accounting errors.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/politics/pentagon-saudi-aerial-refueling-costs/index.html

Can't even collect blood money properly.
Pentagon accounting errors are people skimming off the top. DOD has somewhere between hundreds of billions and single-digit trillions completely unaccounted for because of bookkeeping shit. Nobody believes that stuff's missing because of absent-minded accountants.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I love Pete, but I don't know that he's got a shot at 2020.

He definitely doesn't have a shot if Beto runs. His best bet is probably to carpetbag into another seat because winning Indiana Governor is going to be a tall, tall order in 2020 since the current governor of Indiana, Eric Holcomb is a "moderate" in the mold of Mitch Daniels and not batshit crazy.

Edit: If I were him, I might run to raise my profile to get a cabinet position. Then he could run for Virginia/Maryland governor or something (or Indiana goes bluer by then).

Last edited:

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017

I am honestly exhausted by these pieces at this point. I do not want to hear any more from people who listened to this man rant about a wall, concluded that he was just lying to them, and then voted for him anyway. All these people want is absolution for being the biggest morons in history for falling for the most transparent con ever in American politics. No, they don't deserve it.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Can't understand what goes through the head of a small town indiana mayor who decides they should run for president
I wouldn't call South Bend a small town; it has a population of over 100K. That having been said, yes, it's not a position that really qualifies one for president. Really I wouldn't consider mayor a position that prepares one for the presidency unless it's of one of the largest cities in the US.

He's widely known as a rising star in the party, so I can see the ambition but yeah, it's too soon. He needs to work his way up. It's admittedly difficult given where he is, but as it is he's not really going to be a viable presidential candidate.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
These are at least better than the "Guy in bar in rural Wisconsin still supports Trump" stories.
"People have asked me, "Didn't you listen to Trump when he said that he would build a wall?" I didn't take the idea seriously during the campaign. I knew he couldn't get Mexico to pay it — that'd be like asking Hurricane Harvey to foot the bill for rebuilding Houston — and thought it was just talk: another candidate making big promises he couldn't keep. I never thought it would actually happen."

I thought the person promising to do something i didn't want wasn't serious.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
These are at least better than the "Guy in bar in rural Wisconsin still supports Trump" stories.

Just finished the article myself and there are some choice quotes that smack of the self-same willfully naive impulses that "justified" the author's 2016 vote, but at least this one started to recognize the fallacy of being willfully naive for sure.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
"People have asked me, "Didn't you listen to Trump when he said that he would build a wall?" I didn't take the idea seriously during the campaign. I knew he couldn't get Mexico to pay it — that'd be like asking Hurricane Harvey to foot the bill for rebuilding Houston — and thought it was just talk: another candidate making big promises he couldn't keep. I never thought it would actually happen."

I'm not defending the person, just the type of article not being as bad as some of the shit I've seen.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

This is great. This man voted for a president that he believed was consistently lying for years about his central campaign pledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.