• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
-Trump chickens out on government shutdown, giving a win to Pelosi (and, shockingly, Schumer)
On its own it doesn't make much sense, but even with losing seats in the Senate, Schumer actually has more leverage now as Minority Leader because the Democrats won the House. I think he'll be a good foil for making McConnell's life miserable alongside Pelosi.

Now of course, McConnell will still be able to ram through judges and you might see some shitty "deals" on that end, but as far as bog standard legislation goes, it's Pelosi's planet, motherfucker.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I really wonder what the judge saw that made him get that intense

Nothing out of the ordinary, we've all become numb to this admin but it is historically absurd that the National Security Adviser and a US General was serving as an agent for a foreign government. Working to trump up charges on a presumably innocent person claiming sanctuary from a dictatorship, dooming the man to imprisonment and death for nothing more than cold hard cash. The very idea, which has been floated for the past two years, that the former head of the DIA and current NSA could be ignorant to the fact that lying to FBI agents is a crime is preposterous.

We saw today what happens when Trump-era garbage drifts into a courtroom, the judge got one whiff and turned up his nose.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
HAHA absolutely not.
Disolving it will not stop the investigations from happening. This was a shit newsday for Trump I am curious what old favorites Trump will bring up in his tweet storm.
Nope. Its an ongoing investigation this is them finally giving up after trying to not dissolve it because things are heating up.

Music to my ears... Trump org is next!

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing out of the ordinary, we've all become numb to this admin but it is historically absurd that the National Security Adviser and a US General was serving as an agent for a foreign government. Working to trump up charges on a presumably innocent person claiming sanctuary from a dictatorship, dooming the man to imprisonment and death for nothing more than cold hard cash. The very idea, which has been floated for the past two years, that the former head of the DIA and current NSA could be ignorant to the fact that lying to FBI agents is a crime is preposterous.

We saw today what happens when Trump-era garbage drifts into a courtroom, the judge got one whiff and turned up his nose.

I think that's the buried lead here, Flynn tried to bring a piece of the right wings alternate universe into reality court and it almost cost him his freedom. That's the big message for the rest of the administration that they better stop trying to play conspiracy games with their defenses and start getting serious or face consequences. These are grown ass men playing with fire and getting burned.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Should we reconsider whether we should take the wall-for-DACA trade?

The wall is symbolism - it's security theater. It wastes a bunch of money, it employs construction workers in Texas and Arizona and New Mexico in a make-work program, it pisses off landowners in the border area, but it doesn't make border enforcement any more effective or brutal. It's a sop to conservative vaguely Freudian psychology about the country being figuratively penetrated by outside forces. It doesn't affect anything that matters on a national scale.

And DACA is, well... 800,000 kids and young adults who are living in legal limbo and delaying trips home and applications to college and everything else until things get sorted out, wondering whether they'll have to return to a home they can't even remember. It's real shit. It's a lot of people. And, incidentally, if you've been bitching about democrats not taking power plays seriously, it's nearly a million new voters in a blue-leaning constituency.

I don't have a dog in the DACA fight; I'm not a recipient and I don't personally know anyone who is. But I do have a pre-existing condition, and I have to say that if Democrats were unwilling to trade the wall for protecting my health care, and in the long run my life, I would be fucking livid.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
trump foundation to dissolve... does this mean they can get away with what they have already done?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...dge-oversee-dispersal-other-charities-n949386

This dissolve is happening as per the NY AG demands. This is happening under the supervision of the government, so that they can't do anything stupid. This is part of their ongoing investigation. They have not stopped the investigation, closing it is part of the investigation, and it is an admission by the foundation that they are up to bullshit in so many words. They are shutting this down, and will scour the foundation, and they are demanding that the trumps, AND, his children can no longer participate in non-profits. Its significant.

This makes things worse because every thing he touches falls under the same scenario of paying him/itself off. The emoluments investigation, the inauguration investigation. They all have paying trump/co back with the funds they are getting.

Tip of the iceberg. This has never happened to a sitting president. Same with his lawyer implicating him in a felony. These are all not nothingburgers. This is the noose tightening.

All because they are second rate rich people, doing the dumbest shit. None of this is secret, it just took someone looking at their documents.

The wall is symbolism - it's security theater. It wastes a bunch of money, it employs construction workers in Texas and Arizona and New Mexico in a make-work program, it pisses off landowners in the border area, but it doesn't make border enforcement any more effective or brutal. It's a sop to conservative vaguely Freudian psychology about the country being figuratively penetrated by outside forces. It doesn't affect anything that matters on a national scale.

And DACA is, well... 800,000 kids and young adults who are living in legal limbo and delaying trips home and applications to college and everything else until things get sorted out, wondering whether they'll have to return to a home they can't even remember. It's real shit. It's a lot of people. And, incidentally, if you've been bitching about democrats not taking power plays seriously, it's nearly a million new voters in a blue-leaning constituency.

I don't have a dog in the DACA fight; I'm not a recipient and I don't personally know anyone who is. But I do have a pre-existing condition, and I have to say that if Democrats were unwilling to trade the wall for protecting my health care, and in the long run my life, I would be fucking livid.

The reason you don't deal with terrorists, is because they aren't respectable, and will take the inch you've given them and go the full mile. The Justice system is going to deal with trump and his family, as we've seen. There is no reason to waste your taxes for a border wall, when Mexico was going to pay for it.

This has to be considered. They haven't even spent the money from last year, this is just a waste of taxes.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Alex Mallin @alex_mallin

After her Fox appearance this morning, @PressSec told reporters waiting for her that she would brief on camera instead at 1:30 p.m.

It's 1:56 p.m. and the president has a 2:15 p.m. event Sanders will likely have to cut the briefing short for. She hasn't briefed in 3 weeks.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
This dissolve is happening as per the NY AG demands. This is happening under the supervision of the government, so that they can't do anything stupid. This is part of their ongoing investigation. They have not stopped the investigation, closing it is part of the investigation, and it is an admission by the foundation that they are up to bullshit in so many words. They are shutting this down, and will scour the foundation, and they are demanding that the trumps, AND, his children can no longer participate in non-profits. Its significant.

This makes things worse because every thing he touches falls under the same scenario of paying him/itself off. The emoluments investigation, the inauguration investigation. They all have paying trump/co back with the funds they are getting.

Tip of the iceberg. This has never happened to a sitting president. Same with his lawyer implicating him in a felony. These are all not nothingburgers. This is the noose tightening.

All because they are second rate rich people, doing the dumbest shit. None of this is secret, it just took someone looking at their documents.

Mobster mentality it looks like. Corruption at highest level. Hope they all get some jail time.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nah , symbols matter and you don't negotiate with terrorists. These fuckers have been mailing bombs, running people over with cars, and threatening/assaulting countless minorities across the country. They are fucking locking up kids in dog cages and letting them die at the border. Your know anytime there's an uprising in some Middle East dictatorship, they call them terrorists? Well, it's like that , except for real. These fucks need to put down, not negotiated with.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

@kylegriffin1
Interesting coincidence that Bondi is at the White House the same day the Trump Foundation moves to dissolve. A $25,000 payment to Bondi from the Foundation is among the alleged acts of wrongdoing.
https://twitter.com/learyreports/status/1075096601209774080

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Thoughts and prayers:

Zeke Miller @ZekeJMiller

.@PressSec: "We wish Gen. Flynn well"

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

"No, we still firmly believe,' Sarah Sanders says, when asked if she would like to revise her comments that Flynn was "ambushed." Flynn admitted he lied under oath and said he was not entrapped.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Thoughts and prayers:

Zeke Miller @ZekeJMiller

.@PressSec: "We wish Gen. Flynn well"

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

"No, we still firmly believe,' Sarah Sanders says, when asked if she would like to revise her comments that Flynn was "ambushed." Flynn admitted he lied under oath and said he was not entrapped.

So they're quintupling down despite Flynn and his lawyer insisting otherwise in court?!

They have nothing left in the tank lol

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017

That was only a move before, when the GOP held the presidency and both houses of Congress. Now the Dems hold the House and actually have a hand to play. So no.

EDIT: And even then, making that deal for real back then would have been bad too. Seriously, wtf

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

Symbolism isn't a inert concept. A wall across the southern border is very much a national scale symbol that commemorates racist nationalist policy. It doesn't stop at a wall, either. It will become the platform for other conservatives to build more 'security' on top of, figuratively and literally. It will get more violent and deadly.

They can be helped without a damn wall. They need some laws changed and some paperwork done. That's a really bad trade to change the national attitude towards immigration forever. It's not a good compromise at all.

How about we just don't have these ridiculous, inhumane hostage situations

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

Sarah Sanders declines to comment on the dissolution of the president's charity.

Oct 27, 2017
The fascists don't care if these cretins lie to their faces. They think they're in on the joke, when in reality they're what's for dinner.

The GOP needs to be dismantled, they are a terrorist organization

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
^

Philip Bump @pbump

"Do your job, Sarah!" one member of the White House press corps yells out after Sanders curtails the first press briefing of the month after about 20 minutes.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Should we reconsider whether we should take the wall-for-DACA trade? [...]

Hey, guess fucking what. We already offered $25 billion for the wall and DACA either this year. Trump said no because it wasn't harsh enough! Steven Miller said no! So spare me your bullshit about this being Democrats' fault.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They won't pass DACA, this hypothetical exists only in an imaginary world where they're rational actors and not stupid xenophobes.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This is more insane than usual. A judge asked Flynn point blank, and she's clutching onto the conspiracy theory only hours after.

I'm convinced that the President could be on his way to prison in cuffs and she'd be out on the lawn telling all of his followers that everything is right as rain.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is more insane than usual. A judge asked Flynn point blank, and she's clutching onto the conspiracy theory only hours after.

I'm convinced that the President could be on his way to prison in cuffs and she'd be out on the lawn telling all of his followers that everything is right as rain.

Reminds me of that guy during the Iraq invasion, the Iraqi Information guy who kept insisting the Americans were being beaten back by the Iraqis while American tanks rolled into view behind him. I don't know his real name, but at the time, they called him Baghdad Bob.

She's Baghdad Bob's sister, Baghdad Brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.