• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Bernie Sanders is forcing Chuck Schumer to appoint Joe Manchin to take on energy oversight post. Unbelievable!

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is an exchange vote. Give liberals a smallish victory for a bigger vote later where he sides with his ideology

That makes no sense, he has no reelection to consider.
A non-party line judge would be refreshing, just wish it was someone else.

Would certainly explain why Kennedy wanted him in his seat so badly.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

It's true there are no votes for him but he is considered more rapey by the country than Clarence Thomas was at this time after the vote. Folks want to create their legacy by getting their approvals up

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017

Where I'm at as well. Why give the liberals anything at all. He has no one to answer to really.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have that chart that places the justices' and prospective justices' ideologies on a continuum? We all wanted Hardiman because he was more liberal than Roberts and slightly more conservative than Kennedy. Kavanaugh, as I recall, was very conservative, almost as much as Thomas and moreso than Gorsuch.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Why stop at recelebrating the DOW 25,000 when we can celebrate the 24,000 all over again. Nothing like wiping the entire year completely.

Oct 26, 2017

Why stop at recelebrating the DOW 25,000 when we can celebrate the 24,000 all over again. Nothing like wiping the entire year completely.

OH. RECESSION.

If trump is anything.

he is an acceleration-ist.

the recession, and dip in the economy is going to hit before his first term is done.

I predict, april/may of 2019 is going to get bumpy, economically.

I am very curious to see retail sales for the holiday.

( my job has higher peak days [1-2 days before, 2~days after the actual holiday date], but on the same or fewer sales weekly, as compared to last year.)

Last edited:

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OH. RECESSION.

If trump is anything.

he is an acceleration-ist.

the recession, and dip in the economy is going to hit before his first term is done.

I predict, april/may of 2019 is going to get bumpy, economically.

I am very curious to see retail sales for the holiday.

( my job has higher peak days [1-2 days before, 2~days after the actual holiday date], but on the same or fewer sales weekly.)

If we are going to have a recession, I hope it does hit during Trumps term.

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to me John Roberts put the fear of God into Kavanaugh and he's trying to shake off the ill-tempered Trump lackey perception he has.

As for Butina, it sounds like Russia has given her the okay to cooperate with prosecutors perhaps because the krompramat they had over Trump might have been exposed with the recent memos from Mueller, specifically Moscow Trump Tower. Once Trump ceases to be a useful idiot expect Russia to allow more dirt on Trump, GOP, and NRA to bubble up to the surface instead of suppressing it.

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to me John Roberts put the fear of God into Kavanaugh and he's trying to shake off the ill-tempered Trump lackey perception he has.

As for Butina, it sounds like Russia has given her the okay to cooperate with prosecutors perhaps because the krompramat they had over Trump might have been exposed with the recent memos from Mueller, specifically Moscow Trump Tower. Once Trump ceases to be a useful idiot expect Russia to allow more dirt on Trump, GOP, and NRA to bubble up to the surface instead of suppressing it.
But there in lays the issue.

most people in that position, "reveal" certain things, that may or may not end up being coded messages to their handlers.

so I highly doubt anything from her is going to help anyone much.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Recession legit terrifies me, my family was fucking nearly bankrupted the previous time. Graduated in peak recession, my dad's job got chopped, had to basically help hoist a family of 5 on my back with some shit job I took right before graduation.

That said, time to celebrate like it's 2017

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have that chart that places the justices' and prospective justices' ideologies on a continuum? We all wanted Hardiman because he was more liberal than Roberts and slightly more conservative than Kennedy. Kavanaugh, as I recall, was very conservative, almost as much as Thomas and moreso than Gorsuch.

i could be imagining things but I thought Kavanaugh was to the left of Gorsuch. The biggest problem with him, besides the allegations of course, was his stance on whether the President could be indicted.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Recession legit terrifies me, my family was fucking nearly bankrupted the previous time. Graduated in peak recession, my dad's job got chopped, had to basically help hoist a family of 5 on my back with some shit job I took right before graduation.

What a year.

2nkD4Kz.png

I bought a little leveraged volatility late Friday, just as a partial hedge, and it's already up 10%.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, to be somewhat optimistic, most recessions are nowhere near the severity of what happened in 2008. I remember having to literally stop my run on the treadmill as I watched the Lehman news that morning. Shit was hitting the fan so hard and i'm not normally one that follows market news, and even i was stressed out over what was happening.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, to be somewhat optimistic, most recessions are nowhere near the severity of what happened in 2008. I remember having to literally stop my run on the treadmill as I watched the Lehman news that morning. Shit was hitting the fan so hard and i'm not normally one that follows market news, and even i was stressed out over what was happening.

True. But one thing that recession had that an upcoming one doesn't have is a soybean export market for the US with China as a major buyer..

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Right. Recessions are cyclical, and we've had relatively mild ones before: the late '50s (that caused Republicans to get bodied in the '58 midterms), the early 2000s. We were always going to have another one eventually regardless of the White House's occupant. My only fear is that this administration turns what should or could be a mild one into something major that Democrats have to fix.

Anyway, I found the justices' ideology chart: B10.

So this decision is unexpected from Kavanaugh.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Thomas has to be worst SCOTUS replacement ever made. Him replacing Justice Marshall, where his vision of America is probably one where someone like him could never be appointed to that position. His votes are Fox News distilled in the legalese. Honestly hope President Harris or O'Rourke get to pick his replacement. Would be fitting.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of recessions; a real fun fact about one of the economists working in the White House:

In 1999, the current chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors under Trump wrote a book called Dow 36,000 which predicted the DJIA would hit 36k within 3 years. Something that clearly has never happened and will not happen for a long time. Most interestingly, the book came less than a year before the Dot-com-crash.

Just one of the brilliant minds Trump has chosen to craft economic policy.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
My initial thoughts would be Kav is perhaps laying low and trying not to be hyper partisan out of the gate to try and recoup some of the reputation he lost from his meltdown

But then I remember that he has a lifetime appointment and is untouchable so I don't really get that either

Or maybe the ideology scales are way off because this sort of thing is incredibly difficult to rate

But whatever the case, this is like his second or third time siding with liberal judges so far and he has been in for just a few months which is more than alito and Thomas have in like their entire careers.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
If Pelosi gets the most votes for speaker, but not the required amount, what happens?
She needs a majority of those voting for individuals. Present votes/abstentions don't count.

If no one gets a majority, it goes to a second ballot, which is not uncommon in the history of Speaker elections. There's no chance of a Republican Speaker because unlike Democrats, they can't get a majority on their own, so unless some Democrats vote for McCarthy, it won't happen. And they're not voting for McCarthy.

She'll be fine.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

@Ocasio2018
John Kelly was straight up exposed for lying about @RepWilson in comments aimed at discrediting her.

He absolutely owes her an apology, and his refusal to do so isn't a sign of strength - it's cowardice.
Rep. Barbara Lee

@RepBarbaraLee

Before General Kelly steps down, I hope he will offer a long overdue apology to Congresswoman Frederica Wilson for lying about her in the press. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...0fa3c2-fb16-11e8-863a-8972120646e0_story.html
11:34 AM - Dec 10, 2018

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
She needs a majority of those voting for individuals. Present votes/abstentions don't count.

If no one gets a majority, it goes to a second ballot, which is not uncommon in the history of Speaker elections. There's no chance of a Republican Speaker because unlike Democrats, they can't get a majority on their own, so unless some Democrats vote for McCarthy, it won't happen. And they're not voting for McCarthy.

She'll be fine.

The second ballot is the same as the first? So she could theoretically be held hostage indefinitely?

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anything our government does or doesn't with domestic policy will be the cause of the next recession. All the fear and panic is coming from overseas events, if this was just about our economy we'd still be sitting pretty.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
The second ballot is the same as the first? So she could theoretically be held hostage indefinitely?
No, candidates can always withdraw or enter.

It's a parliamentary process, not something required by the Constitution. The Constitution only requires a majority of votes for individuals, whoever it is or however many ballots it takes.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe the ideology scales are way off because this sort of thing is incredibly difficult to rate

I mean, are the ratings for the other justices based on actual rulings since they've been on the court, whereas Kav's rating is based on previous statements? That wouldn't capture any "souter-like" situation would it (not that I think that's what we're looking at, just trying to understand where these ratings come from for a new justice vs the established justices).

Status
Not open for further replies.