• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, are the ratings for the other justices based on actual rulings since they've been on the court, whereas Kav's rating is based on previous statements? That wouldn't capture any "souter-like" situation would it (not that I think that's what we're looking at, just trying to understand where these ratings come from for a new justice vs the established justices).
He was on the DC Circuit for twelve years.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Right. Recessions are cyclical, and we've had relatively mild ones before: the late '50s (that caused Republicans to get bodied in the '58 midterms), the early 2000s. We were always going to have another one eventually regardless of the White House's occupant. My only fear is that this administration turns what should or could be a mild one into something major that Democrats have to fix.

Anyway, I found the justices' ideology chart: B10.

So this decision is unexpected from Kavanaugh.
Yeah, speaking from a purely partisan perspective here, but if a recession had to happen under Trump, you'd hope it would be severe enough to doom him and the GOP in the 2020 elections, while reversing quickly enough that the next President doesn't have to spend their first two years trying to fix everything.

That's what hurt Obama - the economy was still shedding jobs at a ridiculous rate and the stimulus wasn't enough. So when he started moving onto other things, like the Affordable Care Act it seemed like he was shirking his primary responsibility. Like, obviously he wasn't, but that was the broad perception.

Like I want Beto to come in swinging and pass a Green New Deal, Medicare for All and immigration reform in the first hundred days. Harder sell if the economy is total shit.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, how I envision the Speaker election.

Only 434 representatives because WOW FRAUD in NC-09.

10-15 Democrats vote present. Hell, who knows, the Freedom Caucus might hate McCarthy and vote present, too.

Pelosi only needs 210-214 votes to become Speaker, which she'll get handily.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that worries me about a recession is the news media industry is a bad recession away from being wiped out. Local newspapers and TV stations are in a bad way and have been since 2008, and even the big chains are looking at mass layoffs at a time where we need more exposure on the shady shit going on across the country.

That is, unless you like NYT puff pieces on Trump voters.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
The thing that worries me about a recession is the news media industry is a bad recession away from being wiped out. Local newspapers and TV stations are in a bad way and have been since 2008, and even the big chains are looking at mass layoffs at a time where we need more exposure on the shady shit going on across the country.

That is, unless you like NYT puff pieces on Trump voters.

Local TV stations will be fine financially, but unfortunately they don't do nearly as much investigative reporting as local newspapers. This is a pretty legitimate fear.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
CNN just reported that Russian spy woman whose name I forget is taking a plea deal.

She lies and gets more jail or is actually flipping on the pertinent issues. I wonder if any non-Kremlingate questions will be asked at any rate.

I mean, to be somewhat optimistic, most recessions are nowhere near the severity of what happened in 2008. I remember having to literally stop my run on the treadmill as I watched the Lehman news that morning. Shit was hitting the fan so hard and i'm not normally one that follows market news, and even i was stressed out over what was happening.

Oh yeah; hearing economists speak the next week just going "Oh, we were days out from the very engine of the economy simply seizing up" was NOT a good feeling. Got me prepared for modern times though...

My initial thoughts would be Kav is perhaps laying low and trying not to be hyper partisan out of the gate to try and recoup some of the reputation he lost from his meltdown

But then I remember that he has a lifetime appointment and is untouchable so I don't really get that either

Or maybe the ideology scales are way off because this sort of thing is incredibly difficult to rate

But whatever the case, this is like his second or third time siding with liberal judges so far and he has been in for just a few months which is more than alito and Thomas have in like their entire careers.

It's looking more and more like it could be no one wanting to throw themselves on a grenade for this chucklefuck which would only compound their own shady-ass pasts. Losing side can't help you after a war.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the article that got me wondering about the Pelosi vote

The enemy of my enemy is a competent stern old lady who knows all the rules, tricks and body locations. A neophyte right now is the last thing we need. And a united front is the first. it's not Dems vs Repubs. It's literally common sense vs chaotic evil.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Beto won TX-07 (flipped to Democrats), TX-10 (was within five points of flipping), TX-23 (Hurd barely survived), TX-24 (within five points of flipping), and TX-32 (flipped to us). TX-10 and 24 had voted for Trump, the rest for Hillary.

He came within 1% in TX-21 and TX-22, which were also much closer than anyone predicted.

The gerrymander almost broke.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
The worrying thing about a recession is how shitty the economy is before it is even here. Between the homelessness/housing prices and low wages, non rich folk ain't got much cushion

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I need a gif of Palpatine saying "Do it"
raw

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It is gratifying though to watch Republicans publicly beg for Democrats not to investigate Trump.

"Just, please, whatever you do, please, don't look Russia, Saudi Arabia, taxes, business dealings, Kushner, Don Jr., collusion, obstruction, perjury, et al. This won't be good for your elections! We're really looking out for you! "

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that time he accidentally let it slip that driving down Hillary's poll numbers was the whole reason for the constant Benghazi investigations?

McCarthy is so dumb and it cost him the speakership three years ago.
And because he was sipping Renee Ellmers's sweet tea:
Most of the mainstream press was similarly vague, as few wanted to print a headline like "Unsubstantiated Gossip Takes Down McCarthy." Rumors of the affair percolated through the conservative blogosphere, and drew more attention when Ellmers made an odd remark about McCarthy failing to ask for her support, saying, "I'm apparently not high on his priority list."
Ouch.

Oct 27, 2017
It is gratifying though to watch Republicans publicly beg for Democrats not to investigate Trump.

"Just, please, whatever you do, please, don't look Russia, Saudi Arabia, taxes, business dealings, Kushner, Don Jr., collusion, obstruction, perjury, et al. This won't be good for your elections! We're really looking out for you! "

"If you investigated campaign finance, that would be, like, so many people!"

Yeah...and? The RNC alone has had too many former finance chairs involved in this stuff.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
That McCarthy quote about not investigating. Come on. They know it's coming and they're scared.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

"What explains the court's refusal to do its job here? I suspect it has something to do with the fact that some respondents in these cases are named 'Planned Parenthood,' " Justice Clarence Thomas wrote.
"It is true that these particular cases arose after several states alleged that Planned Parenthood affiliates had, among other things, engaged in 'the illegal sale of fetal organs' and 'fraudulent billing practices,' and thus removed Planned Parenthood as a state Medicaid provider," Thomas wrote.

"But these cases are not about abortion rights. They are about private rights of action under the Medicaid Act. Resolving the question presented here would not even affect Planned Parenthood's ability to challenge the states' decisions."
Thomas reaffirms that he's an ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.