• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
giphy.gif

Is this where it finally begins to all come down...?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Senate Press Gallery @SenatePress

The motion to proceed to S.J. Res. 54, the Yemen War Powers Resolution was agreed to by a vote of 60 to 39.

Senators in favor: 47 Democrats, 2 Independents: King and Sanders; 11 Republicans: Cassidy, Collins, Crapo, Daines, Flake, Lee, Moran, Murkowski, Paul, Risch and Young.

NPR: Senate Poised To Vote To End U.S. Military Support For War In Yemen
The U.S. Senate is poised to deliver a historic rebuke to both Saudi Arabia and the Trump administration Wednesday night, passing a resolution demanding an end to U.S. military support for Saudi Arabia's ongoing war in Yemen.
The resolution draws on congressional authority spelled out in the 1973 War Powers Act – authority that, until now, Congress has never actually used.
The effort to stop American involvement in Yemen is still a long way from a done deal. The House would have to pass the resolution by years' end and President Trump would have to sign it — two steps that likely will not happen. Still, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., calls the vote "a profound message."
------------
Sanders and a handful of other senators, including Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., and Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, have been working for more than a year to round up support for the resolution. Only 44 senators voted for it in March. But two weeks ago, more than 60 lawmakers voted to advance debate the same bill. Roughly the same amount of senators are expected to support the resolution tonight, sending it to the House.
------------
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., opposes the measure, even though it's expected to pass with bipartisan support. "If the Senate wants to pick a constitutional fight with the executive branch over war powers, I would advise my colleagues to pick a better case," he said on the Senate floor Wednesday.
Regardless of the resolution's future, its Senate passage marks a key turning point in U.S.- Saudi relationships. The Senate will likely pass a second resolution condemning Saudi Arabia's role in the Khashoggi killing later this week, and a broad sanctions bill is expected in the coming months.
------------
Murphy and Sanders have made it clear that if the resolution stalls in the House, they'll introduce it again next year, when Democrats hold the majority and will decide what measures to vote on.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering when she'd clapback.

@Ocasio2018
Kellyanne Conway has been engaged in a War on Facts since Inauguration Day.

Leveraging those who belittle my capacity is exactly how I defeated a multi-generation, multi-million $ political machine. GOP is even weaker bc their bias has no self-control.https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/kellyanne-conway-says-rep-elect-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-doesnt-seem-to-know-much-about-anything/2018/12/11/e83232fc-fd50-11e8-862a-b6a6f3ce8199_story.html …
1:41 PM - Dec 12, 2018

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
dont bank on that. The older generations are staunch conservatives, even ones whom might be directly effected

Getting deported to own the libs.
I seriously can't fathom anyone in the line of fire of this racist shithead's administration, still voting for him.

Oh well, he's going to poison all of our water and kill us all anyway. Why even bother kicking out all the "undesirables" at this rate?

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
dont bank on that. The older generations are staunch conservatives, even ones whom might be directly effected
The decision only seems to affect refugees who arrived pre-1995 and have been granted special status (like some Haitians), meaning they haven't been naturalized. It's heinous and they should be allowed to stay indefinitely, but they can't vote. I would hope that older, GOP-voting Vietnamese people who have been naturalized would be outraged.

Another encouraging note: they had plans to deport other classes of migrants with special refugee status. Those plans never came to pass. I hope we see the same outcome here.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Are they going to chant "Trump!' as they are getting kicked out of their homes? His cult is truly bizarre to me.

I don't know man because I don't freakin get it. People in general who vote against their own interests just because their pride is too high. This will just be like some illegals that were deported back to Mexico whom their family members voted for Trump. I guess the mindset is 'it won't happen to me' or 'eff everyone else' it's just sad.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading some of the comments that said that Vietnamese-Americans vote largely Republican.

Not anymore.
We have a large Vietnamese community here in Louisville. I don't know their voting patterns, but they seem extremely evangelical. And I remember how Eden Center in NoVa was flying the old South Vietnamese flag, and wondering if they voted GOP out of anti-communism the way Cuban-Americans historically have.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Are they going to chant "Trump!' as they are getting kicked out of their homes? His cult is truly bizarre to me.

My mom's side of the family (the side I don't associate with outside of perfunctory funerals and such) became hardcore Republicans over the last two decades. They left the city most of them lived in because they didn't want to have black neighbors, they are gung-ho on war, and complain incessantly about immigrants and refugees.

They are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation Italians that fled Italy in the late 1940s.

Absolutely no self-awareness; they cling to any sense of power they get, as long as it can be lorded over another.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
My mom's side of the family (the side I don't associate with outside of perfunctory funerals and such) became hardcore Republicans over the last two decades. They left the city most of them lived in because they didn't want to have black neighbors, they are gung-ho on war, and complain incessantly about immigrants and refugees.

They are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation Italians that fled Italy in the late 1940s.

Absolutely no self-awareness; they cling to any sense of power they get, as long as it can be lorded over another.

If Stephen Miller ever manages to achieve his white-people paradise, I assume Italians, Catholics, and Irish will be back on the menu again. Gotta have someone for the masses to project their failings on.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
She's running.

I still think Biden is just conducting pre-primary vetting of candidates to ensure we have a strong enough field to defeat Trump in 2020 (he's making noise and taking up room so that there's a big block that will go to whoever he endorses; especially with a lot of contenders, vote distribution is going to be harder than in recent years). It just feels like his heart's not in it anymore.

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
She's running.

I still think Biden is just conducting pre-primary vetting of candidates to ensure we have a strong enough field to defeat Trump in 2020 (he's making noise and taking up room so that there's a big block that will go to whoever he endorses; especially with a lot of contenders, vote distribution is going to be harder than in recent years). It just feels like his heart's not in it anymore.

Biden doesn't want to run, he has had rumors swirling around him that he has said as much to friends. He is likely only considering a run of there is no one else as strong a contender as he might be if he ran. Biden should enjoy his retirement and use his image to support the next generation. I would be curious to see is he meets with Beto anytime soon.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Can you even imagine the clown show we're going to get if Newt comes back to town?
If he is interviewing for CoS.....

My mom's side of the family is Italian and Republican too. Mainly because of pro-life, but some of them get into Trump rhetoric on immigration too. Fucking idiots.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
She's running.

I think campaigning this year - and to his credit, he did a lot for many candidates - made him realize how old he is and how strenuous it would be. If it's hard for other people, it's ten times as hard for yourself.

He's still in great shape when it comes to ordinary, everyday things, but a presidential campaign is an entirely different beast.

Which makes me wonder how someone else even older thinks he has the stamina to do it.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

>

Alex Moe @AlexNBCNews

Mark Meadows seems to have slightly changed his tune on if he has had any convos with WH on being next WH COS after being at WH ystdy. Now tells us "I have not been interviewed for it"

Ben Williamson @_WilliamsonBen

Statement from @RepMarkMeadows on the WH Chief of Staff report -- "I know the President has a long list of tremendous candidates for his next Chief of Staff, and whomever it is will have my total support moving forward"

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Which makes me wonder how someone else even older thinks he has the stamina to do it.
Standing on the sidelines your entire career probably leaves you with more energy than those who were in the trenches the whole time.

Also, when your brand is simply stubbornness for its own sake, I don't think you'll be entirely tuned in to the reality of the situation.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017

Senate Press Gallery @SenatePress

The motion to proceed to S.J. Res. 54, the Yemen War Powers Resolution was agreed to by a vote of 60 to 39.

Senators in favor: 47 Democrats, 2 Independents: King and Sanders; 11 Republicans: Cassidy, Collins, Crapo, Daines, Flake, Lee, Moran, Murkowski, Paul, Risch and Young.

NPR: Senate Poised To Vote To End U.S. Military Support For War In Yemen
The U.S. Senate is poised to deliver a historic rebuke to both Saudi Arabia and the Trump administration Wednesday night, passing a resolution demanding an end to U.S. military support for Saudi Arabia's ongoing war in Yemen.
The resolution draws on congressional authority spelled out in the 1973 War Powers Act – authority that, until now, Congress has never actually used.
The effort to stop American involvement in Yemen is still a long way from a done deal. The House would have to pass the resolution by years' end and President Trump would have to sign it — two steps that likely will not happen. Still, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., calls the vote "a profound message."
------------
Sanders and a handful of other senators, including Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., and Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, have been working for more than a year to round up support for the resolution. Only 44 senators voted for it in March. But two weeks ago, more than 60 lawmakers voted to advance debate the same bill. Roughly the same amount of senators are expected to support the resolution tonight, sending it to the House.
------------
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., opposes the measure, even though it's expected to pass with bipartisan support. "If the Senate wants to pick a constitutional fight with the executive branch over war powers, I would advise my colleagues to pick a better case," he said on the Senate floor Wednesday.
Regardless of the resolution's future, its Senate passage marks a key turning point in U.S.- Saudi relationships. The Senate will likely pass a second resolution condemning Saudi Arabia's role in the Khashoggi killing later this week, and a broad sanctions bill is expected in the coming months.
------------
Murphy and Sanders have made it clear that if the resolution stalls in the House, they'll introduce it again next year, when Democrats hold the majority and will decide what measures to vote on.

This fucks up McConnell's plans to run interference last I checked.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think campaigning this year - and to his credit, he did a lot for many candidates - made him realize how old he is and how strenuous it would be. If it's hard for other people, it's ten times as hard for yourself.

He's still in great shape when it comes to ordinary, everyday things, but a presidential campaign is an entirely different beast.

Bill Clinton during the 1992 presidential campaign:

weary_clinton_habib.jpg

He was 47.

It's grueling work unless you're Trump who doesn't give a shit about responsibility (and even then he's just gotten fatter and lazier over the course of the presidency).

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Gabe Rosenberg @GabrielJR

BREAKING: The Ohio Senate has passed the anti-abortion "Heartbeat Bill." The bill will go to @JohnKasich, who has threatened to veto. https://wosu.pm/2PzKXLo

NPR @NPR

The bill would outlaw abortions at the point a fetal heartbeat is detected –– banning the practice as early as six weeks into a pregnancy, before many women even know they're pregnant.

The Ohio House passed the bill, HB 258, back in November.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
It's hard to know at the moment which is the most fucked up, US politics or UK politics. It's like a contest of hold my bear.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
If Stephen Miller ever manages to achieve his white-people paradise, I assume Italians, Catholics, and Irish will be back on the menu again. Gotta have someone for the masses to project their failings on.

They seem to have no sense of history and how forward momentum protects them from regression.

If he is interviewing for CoS.....

My mom's side of the family is Italian and Republican too. Mainly because of pro-life, but some of them get into Trump rhetoric on immigration too. Fucking idiots.

The weird thing is, abortion never comes up with them. Or really anything other than racism, xenophobia, and taxes. Always fucking taxes, even as they as all have great homes that were bought relatively cheap because we're in Ohio. Meanwhile, diabetes is so rampant in the family I've heard the cousins my age say they aren't even bothering to take care of themselves "because we all get it."

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy brain thought here:

What if Biden does a soft endorsement of Harris, Obama does a soft endorsement of Beto, and it's all staged to prevent an acrimonious primary that splits the dem coalition?

Status
Not open for further replies.