• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The op cover actually confused me at first. I thought it was an ad and just about lost it

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
From the article:
[The government's] attorneys in October before Lamberth conceded some errors in the case's handling but said that none amounted to bad faith or lying, that records were searched soon after they were received and that exhaustive reports by the FBI, inspector general and a House panel that investigated the Benghazi attacks settled the matter.
Shitty to revisit this, but since Justice and State are sticking up for their own competence and truthfulness in the matter, and because they view the matter as settled, I don't think it'll turn into another Hillary hunt.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Northam has a 59-24 approval rating.

Including 32% of Republicans.

Trump approval 35-57.

VA GOP 'bout to lose everything next year.
Snatching the House and Senate next year would be great.

For one thing, Democrats could pass new Congressional maps right away after the 2020 election. If Republicans have control of either chamber they can stall it out until after the gubernatorial election in 2021, when a Republican might win.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hillary Clinton was very honest and authentic. And people hated that.

People don't want actual authenticity, they want the appearance of authenticity. That's the charisma part of "being good at being a politician" that Hilary and Warren lack. They're fundamentally policy nerds. Which is great! But... not really a skill set very relevant to doing well in elections.

This isnt why she lost though.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Allie Malloy @AlliemalCNN

While Nauert is expected to be named tomorrow, Pompeo has told aides he wants the UN ambassador position downgraded from a Cabinet-level job, an official familier tells @kaitlancollins

Kaitlan Collins @kaitlancollins

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has made clear he wants the U.N. ambassador position downgraded from being a Cabinet-level job, I'm told. https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/06/politics/trump-un-ambassador-nauert/index.html

Oct 27, 2017
No one with any sense wants anything to do with this administration. People are going to need jobs after this is all over

I don't believe that media will hold these cretins accountable. Look at his cabinet, it's all rich people who don't need jobs. Fox will take all these people back--except Shine, for legal reasons--if they need to pay their lawyers after leaving the White House. Most of these scumbags will be rehabilitated enough to go out on the Wingnut Welfare circuit, eventually.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I don't believe that media will hold these cretins accountable. Look at his cabinet, it's all rich people who don't need jobs. Fox will take all these people back--except Shine, for legal reasons--if they need to pay their lawyers after leaving the White House. Most of these scumbags will be rehabilitated enough to go out on the Wingnut Welfare circuit, eventually.
I think that's sort of the point though -- the people they are actually getting are often people coming from Fox (who can return there afterward) or family members, or the dredges of the Republican party. It's still not people with any actual sense or qualifications.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of many reasons why she lost. (with a tiny slim margin of loss, literally everything mattered)

Good point, that margin was small enough.

I just feel that her being truthful in calling out Trump supporters would have been fine had she not been a bad candidate.

I see no reason why anyone running in 2020 need to keep up that bipartisan image. Trump would lose to any of those candidates.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's sort of the point though -- the people they are actually getting are often people coming from Fox (who can return there afterward) or family members, or the dredges of the Republican party. It's still not people with any actual sense or qualifications.

But they will still exert some amount of power, we will still be offering up a gibbering idiot to berate other nations who use the UN for more than a punching bag. It's terrifying shit

These morons will still be booked on Sunday shows to give insight to the madness we're living through. The primary sources will all be venal, lying assholes.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Didn't know that. 2004 was my babby's first election.

I remember the high that I got in 2006. Then 2008 hit and I've been a junkie since.
2004 was the first presidential election I voted in. I learned a lot of hard lessons having bought into the idea that Kerry was actually ahead (despite being behind in the polls) because of the supposed rule of undecided voters breaking to the challenger, and then of course the leaked early exits showing him ahead in key states.

And of course I remember a lot of things like the "elitist" attacks on Kerry ("he asked for Swiss on his cheesesteak!"), the purple heart band-aids at the RNC, Jerome Corsi's role in swiftboating (seeing that name come up in the Mueller investigation was something, I can only imagine what it would be like to have lived through Watergate and hear Roger Stone come up again).

But yes generally speaking the fundamentals suggested Bush should have been re-elected. Gore, on the other hand, lost (well, "lost") an election he should have won.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone fix the freaking new notification button to be on the right side instead of the left on mobile? It's a pain in the ass reaching across the screen instead of just moving your thumb up.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good point, that margin was small enough.

I just feel that her being truthful in calling out Trump supporters would have been fine had she not been a bad candidate.

I see no reason why anyone running in 2020 need to keep up that bipartisan image. Trump would lose to any of those candidates.
You need to max out and pick up 4 seats at the same time, mostly in the plains and sunbelt.

You go full Civil War and you have a hard time doing that.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

Allie Malloy @AlliemalCNN

While Nauert is expected to be named tomorrow, Pompeo has told aides he wants the UN ambassador position downgraded from a Cabinet-level job, an official familier tells @kaitlancollins

Kaitlan Collins @kaitlancollins

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has made clear he wants the U.N. ambassador position downgraded from being a Cabinet-level job, I'm told. https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/06/politics/trump-un-ambassador-nauert/index.html

Why? So she doesn't have to be approved by the senate? What does that actually mean?

Oct 27, 2017
Why? So she doesn't have to be approved by the senate? What does that actually mean?

I imagine mostly because they don't trust her with a lot of information, or her lawyers advised that she not take too many classified briefings to keep her out of potential international incidents. Pompeo seems like a guy who wants to be the gatekeeper of Trump's foreign policy

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Weaken the position:
Nauert's appointment would realign power dynamics within the President's national security team. Pompeo has told aides he wants the UN position downgraded from the Cabinet-level job Haley had insisted on, an official familiar with his remark told CNN. Elevating Haley to a Cabinet level post broke with the tradition of previous Republican administrations.
National security adviser John Bolton has been said to want the role downgraded as well, according to people familiar with his thinking. A former UN ambassador himself, Bolton has taken an interest in some UN matters, such as the International Criminal Court.
The shift means Nauert would wield less clout than her predecessor, both at the UN and within the administration, and as a result, would pose nowhere near the challenge to Bolton, White House chief of staff John Kelly or Pompeo.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Lauren Underwood flipped IL-14 and carried all seven counties in it even as Rauner won it by 8.

Strong candidate.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Interestingly, Pritzker actually carried IL-12 and IL-13 even as Mike Bost and Rodney Davis won reelection - narrowly, in the latter case.

That narrow Pritzker victory in Bustos's district makes me feel just the slightest bit uneasy, though.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

Interestingly, Pritzker actually carried IL-12 and IL-13 even as Mike Bost and Rodney Davis won reelection - narrowly, in the latter case.

That narrow Pritzker victory in Bustos's district makes me feel just the slightest bit uneasy, though.

Especially because those margins are goosed a bit because of McCann :-\

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Especially because those margins are goosed a bit because of McCann :-\
Exactly. I understand Rauner carrying IL-06 and 14 even as we beat Roskam and Hultgren - we saw a lot of suburbanite ticket splitting this year.

I understand Pritzker carrying IL-12 and 13 even as Bost and Davis won again - those areas are ancestrally Democratic at the state level, plus McCann siphoning votes from Rauner.

But IL-17 is supposed to be more Democratic than all of those except maybe IL-06 now (we have to see how 2020 shakes out). Bustos won by 20+, but the long-term pattern is not favorable. Another reason I was not the biggest fan of making her DCCC chair, aside from her comments. We have much safer midwestern seats.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Actually, I am shocked. I knew their well was not that deep, but I didn't realize that it has run this dry this quickly.

For UN ambassador in particular, it's a position the GOP finds to be worthless and actively denigrates. One of those jobs that they'd rather wasn't there at all, so like Energy and HUD and Education, they'll fill it with whatever empty suit they can find, although usually the empty suits are at least somewhat worthy because they want the prestige of a cabinet appointment. In this case only folks who want infamy or who live off of wingnut welfare already are willing to jump.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
A day after Wisconsin Republicans approved a package of bills intended to restrict the powers of incoming Democratic leaders, Republican lawmakers in Michigan advanced a similar effort despite an outcry from Democrats.

The Michigan state Senate voted on Thursday to strip the power to oversee campaign finance from the newly elected Democratic secretary of state, Jocelyn Benson, instead handing the authority to a bipartisan commission.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1O5289

But but procedure and civility!

2020 after the election is going to awful

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

North Carolina resident Chris Eason told BuzzFeed he signed a blank absentee ballot, without picking any candidates, and handed the unsealed ballot to McCrae Dowless.

Records show Eason's ballot ended up signed, sealed, and witnessed to the county BoE.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...on-fraud-alleged-north-carolina-investigation

Then we have this from WaPo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...e5c6d4-f8bf-11e8-8c9a-860ce2a8148f_story.html

In the days immediately after the race, aides to Pittenger told the executive director of the North Carolina Republican Party and a regional political director for the National Republican Congressional Committee that they believed fraud had occurred, according to people familiar with their discussions.

GOP officials did little to scrutinize the results, instead turning their attention to Harris's general-election campaign against a well-funded Democratic opponent, the people said.

Yeah, he in trouble. Onwards to 41!

"4th String Refugees from the Island of Misfit Right-Wing Toys" as Tom Nichols puts it. Gotta dig real deep in either the dumbass bucket or the crook bucket to fill out this crew given the sheer legal danger from the jobs alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.