• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I would've said Russia or China, but based on that lawyer being involved maybe it's Saudi Arabia?
yeah, Saudi or UAE, perhaps. Folks on twitter are saying Russia could have easily used a privately owned corporation to do their dirty work. The Daily Beast did have an article recently saying Mueller was gonna show some work on the Middle East connection in the coming months and there was the Times story about him looking into foreign money coming into the inaugural committee...

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Kamala will basically have my support for the sheer amount of good will she put forward in the state and on the hill for DACA. I've seen people calling it lip service, but I don't see other mfs out here bothering to do it. She had staff at a ton of meetings I went to out here for meetings when it was heavy and she still does to this day.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017

I'm trying to figure out why the RNC would want to do this. I mean, I know they already kept Cohen on for a while even after he was indicted, and I'm betting a lot of illegal funds were funneled to them via the NRA and such, but this still seems like a dangerous gamble considering the campaign finance violations that have already come out against Trump, and more crimes likely to follow. Is this a power grab from Trump to avoid a primary challenge, or are they trying to hide under Trump's wing in hopes his executive privilege will keep them safe from investigators?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
That reminds me, wasn't there something with Flynn trying to set up a giant nuclear reactor deal with Saudi Arabia and Rosatom? I can imagine something like that really setting off the judge if it's in the fully redacted section.

Yes. Something along those lines.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ael-flynn-russia-sanctions-trump-inauguration

"If true, the informant's story adds new evidence that the project's promoters believed that Flynn and Trump backed the plan for a consortium of US, Russian and French firms to build and operate 45 nuclear power plants in Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries."

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to figure out why the RNC would want to do this. I mean, I know they already kept Cohen on for a while even after he was indicted, and I'm betting a lot of illegal funds were funneled to them via the NRA and such, but this still seems like a dangerous gamble considering the campaign finance violations that have already come out against Trump, and more crimes likely to follow. Is this a power grab from Trump to avoid a primary challenge, or are they trying to hide under Trump's wing in hopes his executive privilege will keep them safe from investigators?
Because Republicans are cowardly, stupid pieces-of-shit who will fold anytime Trump tells them to do something so clearly against their best interests for his own personal gain.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

The RNC has now been filled with Trump sycophants.

The party is now trump, and all the republicans left are supporting him if nothing because their constituents support trump 100%.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017

I'd put my money on number 2. I bet way more of the Republican establishment is involved in this mess than has been revealed so far. Or at the very least they let it happen for their own gain. Remember that recording from a while back of those Republicans talking about how Trump is bought by Moscow, and someone shushes him, saying "don't go against the family" or something like that?

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I'm playing catch up with the Flynn shit and I'm not sure I understand what's going on. From what I gather:

* Right wing internet somehow got it into their heads that the judge on this case was likely to throw out the guilty plea.

* Flynn's lawyers filed paperwork that was essentially "Guilty but not guilty" and tried to claim he was entrapped. Not sure what that was supposed to accomplish?

* OSC brought receipts.

* The judge gave Flynn a chance (repeated chances?) to withdraw his guilty plea. Not sure why, though? Because the filing claiming entrapment was claiming he was innocent even as he was pleading guilty?

* Flynn keeps his guilty plea because he's simultaneously trying to get his deal with the SOC and also try and get this judge to throw out the plea bargain with this filing.

* Judge gave him the option of postponing sentencing and giving the OSC more goods or get what was coming to him then and there, telegraphing heavily that he's going to ignore the recommendation for no time and throw the book at Flynn

That about the long and short of it? Going before the same judge in March?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sanders is going to rip it all up. It's going to be a shitshow and he won't even have the self awareness of Ralph Nader and he won't quit or be pragmatic ever.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing catch up with the Flynn shit and I'm not sure I understand what's going on. From what I gather:

* Right wing internet somehow got it into their heads that the judge on this case was likely to throw out the guilty plea.

* Flynn's lawyers filed paperwork that was essentially "Guilty but not guilty" and tried to claim he was entrapped. Not sure what that was supposed to accomplish?

* OSC brought receipts.

* The judge gave Flynn a chance (repeated chances?) to withdraw his guilty plea. Not sure why, though? Because the filing claiming entrapment was claiming he was innocent even as he was pleading guilty?

* Flynn keeps his guilty plea because he's simultaneously trying to get his deal with the SOC and also try and get this judge to throw out the plea bargain with this filing.

* Judge gave him the option of postponing sentencing and giving the OSC more goods or get what was coming to him then and there, telegraphing heavily that he's going to ignore the recommendation for no time and throw the book at Flynn

I don't think Flynn was genuinely attempting to have the case thrown out so much as he wanted to stay in good graces with the MAGAheads he relies on to give money to his legal defense fund (and increase the likelyhood of future fox news or right wing speaking circuit gigs after his sentence) and the strategy backfired bigtime. The judge asked him whether he wanted to withdraw his plea and whatnot because he wanted Flynn to unconditionally take responsibility for his actions - he wasn't going to accept a plea where Flynn was sorta-halfassed claiming he was entrapped.

The case will stay before the same judge.

Last edited:

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to think of one example in fiction where the US President is portrayed as a black woman. Anyone remember a case?

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there was a show on NBC a few years back called "State of Affairs" that had a black female president that was cancelled after one season.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on today's events, all I have to say is... lol, McSally. Like, for some reason, I thought all that stuff about her getting the seat was just jokes. Wasn't expecting it to seriously end up happening, even if it was obvious that it was what she herself was vying for. Ah well, just means that hopefully she gets to lose all over again come 2020.

Fenderputty

Jan 15, 2018

* OSC brought receipts.

The judge offers him a chance at withdrawing the plea so Flynn can have his shot at fighting the case based on the entrapment claim. It's due diligence. Now he's on record and can't appeal or some shit.

Flynn's schtick wasn't about getting the case tossed. It was to feed the conspiracy base so he could grift post scentencing.

The judge was like hell nah, you're going to own this shit. Everyone assumed at this point Flynn was getting jail time, but the judge gave him the chance to extend scentencing so he could help more and avoid the jail time he was likely going to get

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to think of one example in fiction where the US President is portrayed as a black woman. Anyone remember a case?

Going off this Wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_president_of_the_United_States_in_popular_culture

Alfre Woodard in one-season wonder State of Affairs

Also Penny Johnson Jerald as President Amanda Waller in Justice League: Gods and Monsters

Maximum cringe:

In ABC's 2008-2009 TV series Life on Mars[25] (a remake of BBC's series of the same name), it is hinted that Malia Obama, the daughter of then-candidate Barack Obama, is the president of the United States in 2035.

That's...it?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This on the other hand is a good criticism, as treating an inside baseball strawpoll (which is in itself useful in terms of looking at potential future organizing/outreach) poll as though it's a regular one is not cool.
They're still black women though?

Is this a "the establishment hates Bernie" take?
Jeffrey's framing of this is not exactly on the level.

This shows potential issues for Sanders, but in terms of organizational infrastructure available in those communities, not in terms of the electorate.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're still black women though?

Is this a "the establishment hates Bernie" take?
Not really.

This on the other hand is a good criticism, as treating an inside baseball strawpoll (which is in itself useful in terms of looking at potential future organizing/outreach) poll as though it's a regular one is not cool.

Thank goodness we agree on something! And I know it doesn't mean Bernie secretly has overwhelming black support. No need to tell me that.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Did Waller win because she wanted to build a shield around the earth and make Oa pay for it?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I feel the poll is still pretty significant, just not in the way that was presented. False advertising and possibly an agenda at play.

Status
Not open for further replies.