• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So that's "payment in kind". Which is payment. Which is being paid.
What? That's not payment in kind. They're not being paid with airline tickets. They are having their airline tickets paid for

I have no idea if Trump paid them (doubtful, because he doesn't pay anyone who works for him) but they definitely did a fair amount of travel on his behalf and it would make perfect sense for that travel to be reimbursed

Oct 27, 2017
What? That's not payment in kind. They're not being paid with airline tickets. They are having their airline tickets paid for

I have no idea if Trump paid them (doubtful, because he doesn't pay anyone who works for him) but they definitely did a fair amount of travel on his behalf and it would make perfect sense for that travel to be reimbursed

How is reimbursing travel expenses not "being paid by the campaign"?

Especially considering the "fungibility" argument the GOP uses to claim federal funds make their way to Planned Parenthood for abortion purposes.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the only way around this would be to oust McConnell as the majority leader? There's no arcane parliamentary procedure available to bring this up without his approval? Even though it has supporters in both parties?

There is, but the majority party reflexively votes against any legislation brought up this way since, for all intents and purposes, passing legislation like that means that the Majority Leader isn't really in charge any more. It's effectively a vote of no confidence.

Oct 25, 2017

Any expense of campaign money on goods/services for another party is considered a payment. Hence the FEC filing.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know about campaign finance, but that would be expressly prohibited under my company's policy as potentially conflict of interest. Travel is viewed with tremendous scrutiny.

Feb 14, 2018
When Dems next hold the House or Senate they should hold lots of hearings like this. Invite every awful right wing conspiracy theorist to testify about how persecuted they are and ask them questions until they perjure themselves. Then prosecute.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I worked on a campaign, we regularly paid for volunteers' travel expenses (albeit: metro fare and the occasional car/tour bus)

Of course. They are campaign employees. Diamond and Silk characterize themselves as independent thinkers, pundits and reporters of fact. They most certainly can't be considered campaign employees. Guests would be a better defense.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
It's payment, but they can play enough games with, "I thought the question was about a salary," and the issue is so minor they would never go after them. It would look terrible.

It's almost like trump has no idea what the deal is and just hates Obama.

OP
OP
Midnight Jon

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So this reply's a bit late, but
Looking over his twitter, he openly advertises that he is a real Indian and he seems to be touting that as his #1 credential. Even posted a video of an Alex Jones interview with himself. This guy has no shot, right? Right...?
Warren is literally more likely to win that race by 50 whole-ass points than come anywhere close to losing

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I missed this talk with Comey and Cooper, but this little exchange at the end is some scary shit, and once again Comey proves to be better for it.

Can click the audio play and it should go to the right spot

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About 7-8 years too late on this realization, but its a start (and might explain some of the overperformance relative to D ballots)

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
gEcbVyB.gif

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017

Hot take as an aside: Alito is the unrecognized worst justice on the Supreme Court. He's as hard-line partisan as it gets, but he's just lucky to constantly fly under the radar, because a) he's not the Chief Justice, b) he's not as outspoken as Scalia was, c) he's not certifiably insane as Thomas, and d) his seat wasn't stolen as Gorsuch's was.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Just putting this out there - if Cohen flips on Trump my nomination for the thread title is "The Art of the Squeal".

Oct 25, 2017
It's payment, but they can play enough games with, "I thought the question was about a salary," and the issue is so minor they would never go after them. It would look terrible.

It's almost like trump has no idea what the deal is and just hates Obama.

Is it bad that I had to google is Mattis was still in his position, because I can't keep track of who's in or out these day?

Oct 27, 2017
the road to hyper partisanship continues

This has been baked into the cake since at least '94, so this is just the last vestiges rotting. I'm impressed that these feelings stayed dormant as long as they have.

Trying to compromise with people who never act in good faith is a fool's game. In fact the modern GOP understands and respects only one thing: pure, unadulterated power used against them and their money men

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been baked into the cake since at least '94, so this is just the last vestiges rotting. I'm impressed that these feelings stayed dormant as long as they have.

Trying to compromise with people who never act in good faith is a fool's game. In fact the modern GOP understands and respects only one thing: pure, unadulterated power used against them and their money men
As does Putin.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakes up and sees this thread jump several pages.... Uh-oh!

Ok. Cosby guilty, VA nomination revoked, SoS goes through, Fox and Friends interview, and more Stormy Daniels stuff... that it?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any expense of campaign money on goods/services for another party is considered a payment. Hence the FEC filing.
I'm explicitly not arguing whether it should or shouldn't be on the form. Or even if they really were only reimbursed. I am only saying that being reimbursed for travel expenses is not 'payment in kind'. Payment in kind would be if he gave them a paid vacation or something, not reimbursing legitimate business travel
How is reimbursing travel expenses not "being paid by the campaign"?

It is by definition (literally) not being paid. They are having a service paid for, they are not being paid to provide a service (if they are to be believed). They would not make any money. They would submit receipts and be reimbursed the exact amount they spent

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I hope everyone is ok. :(

I hope the constituents are ok and can evacuate safely.

And that Pruitt's team will be on-site shortly to assess any environmental impact. Hopefully there are no vacancies or unqualified people responsible for addressing this incident.

I'm sure we'll be hearing from Tammy Baldwin soon. But hopefully Scott Walker and Ron Johnson can advise on next steps. Maybe Paul Ryan will give a shout out to his home state.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So about Diamond and Silk, isn't lying to congress illegal? Is there not repercussions for this stunt?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm explicitly not arguing whether it should or shouldn't be on the form. Or even if they really were only reimbursed. I am only saying that being reimbursed for travel expenses is not 'payment in kind'. Payment in kind would be if he gave them a paid vacation or something, not reimbursing legitimate business travel

It is by definition (literally) not being paid. They are having a service paid for, they are not being paid to provide a service (if they are to be believed). They would not make any money. They would submit receipts and be reimbursed the exact amount they spent

The Trump campaign claims they were providing services in their FEC reports. So which degenerate liars are we to believe, here?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not rooting for McCain to die in this post, but if he does die in the next two weeks, would Mark Kelly be the person to jump in for his seat?

Because I think the state is ripe for two blue senators in 2018 if that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.