• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I had a crush on Fran Drescher growing up and I never turned down an opportunity to watch 'The Beautician and the Beast' when my sisters wanted to take over the vcr.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Every good southern gay boy grew up on two things:

Golden Girls
Designing Women

1d8e7451b752bd42923a96f8ae1ac661.gif

Funny enough, my favorite uncle, who is incidentally gay, loves both shows, along with Seinfeld.

Of course, he's also a Republican who voted for Gary Johnson, thinks MLK was racist, and doesn't think gays deserve marriage rights.

So, you know....

Too bad Designing Women was so comparatively boring. Now The Nanny on the other hand...

Oh, hellllll no. The Nanny was the most annoying sitcom of the 90s, and by God I saw Wings...and Veronica's Closet....and Caroline in the City....and The Naked Truth.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
As a 31 y/o I object to being considered to be in the same generation as youngins that never had to memorize all your friends' phone numbers or use encyclopedias to do research papers.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
My daughter is 21, haha. Seriously happy to see so many 20 somethings here. Stay engaged, vote every election, even the "boring" ones that will inevitably follow, and particularly the state and local ones. Get your friends engaged and, when you have adult children, engage them. We get together on vote mornings and go as a family, my 18 year old son's first time is coming up.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
if you're twenty now

that means you were ten when obama was elected

no
10 year old me supported Obama

5year old me supported John kerry

I don't know why i hated goerge bush so much as a kid, my life didn't go to shit until the end of his term, and besides the abusive dad going pretty well in 04

Middle class(at the time) white kid in a new Jersey suburb, none of the relatives I knew were in the war

I just really hated bush

I mean I was 100 percent right in retrospect though

I was born in December of 1997. So I'm gonna turn 21 this year.

I was born January 2nd so I could have easily been born the same year as star fox 64 like you

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
First election I really remember is Reagan-Mondale because we did a mock debate in 6th grade. I remember Carter as president but I can't remember anything specific about the 80 election.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First election I really remember is Reagan-Mondale because we did a mock debate in 6th grade. I remember Carter as president but I can't remember anything specific about the 80 election.
My first election was 2016. I was so depressed when Trump won. Didn't eat for days, just burst out crying when talking to my school therapist.

Oct 25, 2017
1990 is the first time I remember anything about politics.

It was my mom talking with one of her friends "Now don't get me wrong, Bush isn't the worst Republican president I've seen. Nixon was a corrupt bastard, and Reagan's education cuts ended my college education less than a year before I finished, but he's still a Republican. They only care about big business and moneyed interests."

The next time I remember anything was during the 1992 election with my mom and conspiracy theory believing Aunt Patty (RIP) arguing about Clinton and Perot. My aunt loved Perot because we needed a businessman in the White House. She lived to see Trump and had vastly different views about businessmen in elected office because of him.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
My husband and I just had our 5th kid, and the fact that for the oldest two Trump is a president they will remember makes me ill.

First election memory I have is in 1992 my dad taking me to see Bill Clinton when he was in Florida. (I was 5). I remember my dad forcing me to go door to door canvassing for Clinton in 96, also the first time I saw my Queen speak live. (Queen Hillary). In 2004, I was too young to vote, but I volunteered and live blogged the results. 2008 I worked for Hillary's campaign until the bitter end, then volunteered on Obama's.

I'm old adjacent.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My husband and I just had our 5th kid, and the fact that for the oldest two Trump is a president they will remember makes me ill.

First election memory I have is in 1992 my dad taking me to see Bill Clinton when he was in Florida. (I was 5). I remember my dad forcing me to go door to door canvassing for Clinton in 96, also the first time I saw my Queen speak live. (Queen Hillary). In 2004, I was too young to vote, but I volunteered and live blogged the results. 2008 I worked for Hillary's campaign until the bitter end, then volunteered on Obama's.

I'm old adjacent.
Congratulations on your 5th!

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty much the only pro-Bush kid in my class in 2004 and I gloated a lot when he won. I also was super happy to be assigned Calvin Coolidge as a president I had to portray in a mock debate because of his excellent laissez faire economic policies.

Later on, midway through my transformation, I hung a picture of TR above my bed next to Jesus.

Oct 25, 2017
ty

I'll sleep in 18 years. Maybe.
Maybe is right!

I'm 35 and still live with my mother.

She's 75, nearly paralyzed, with about a half dozen different ailments. Most recent was finding out she not only has gout, and arthritis, but type 2 diabetes as well. Along with a heart murmur, high blood pressure, and a thyroid growth, so far benign. She also has damaged stomach staples that caused her to hemorrhage early last year.

I don't think my mom reaches 85 guys. But I'll be here as long as I can help.

I think I needed to get that out there so I'm not the only one with the thoughts in their head. My brother is kind of self-involved so I kind of figured I'd be the one taking care of her.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what you guys watch on YouTube where you constantly get the worst possible recommended videos.

My recommendations are like a mix of Eric Andre, Graham Hancock, React videos, K-Pop, Star Wars clips, Contrapoints, and various mixes of the Soviet National Anthem.

Mine's all pop punk, redneck anthems, and a lot of anti-women videos because I subscribe to only one channel and it's Feminist Frequency, which YT apparently really doesn't like.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I have a vague whisper of a memory of my dad bringing me to a Ross Perot(?) rally when I was a child, but the last thing I want to do these days is broach the subject of politics with my parents, so I'll probably never figure out if that was actually a thing that happened.

Also in other news, here's Stephen Miller being very on-brand arguing for a complete and total shutdown of student visas for Chinese nationals:

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
1992 is the first election I can remember, though I have a memory I cannot exactly place of asking my mom why Bush had beaten Dukakis and her trying to explain the tank photo-op to me. I voted Republican in every mock election in school though I was pretty conflicted about Bush over Gore. By the time I could vote for real I had wised up though.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty much the only pro-Bush kid in my class in 2004 and I gloated a lot when he won. I also was super happy to be assigned Calvin Coolidge as a president I had to portray in a mock debate because of his excellent laissez faire economic policies.

Later on, midway through my transformation, I hung a picture of TR above my bed next to Jesus.
Man you fell hard.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
My first political memory is watching Clinton get reelected on TV with my family and not understanding anything.

Veritigo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe is right!

She's 75, nearly paralyzed, with about a half dozen different ailments. Most recent was finding out she not only has gout, and arthritis, but type 2 diabetes as well. Along with a heart murmur, high blood pressure, and a thyroid growth, so far benign. She also has damaged stomach staples that caused her to hemorrhage early last year.

I think I needed to get that out there so I'm not the only one with the thoughts in their head. My brother is kind of self-involved so I kind of figured I'd be the one taking care of her.
You're a good son. Taking care of your mom like that has gotta be tough, be sure to look out for your own well-being also.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
My first political memory is watching Clinton get reelected on TV with my family and not understanding anything.
2000 is the first election I can remember watching on TV. Since I was not super invested in the outcome at the time I was more fascinated by the twists and turns of that night than anything. For 1992 I can just remember seeing the Electoral College map in the paper the next day, but I doubt I really watched any of the coverage.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Maybe is right!

You're a good son. My mom lives with my husband and I and our kids. She's close to your mom's age, but my mom is pretty lucky to be blessed with good health. No one thinks she's in her 70s, and she'll kill you if you mention it.

Being there as our parents age is hard but it's important. I went through ti with my dad. He passed away almost 10 years ago, but had a lot of health issues. It's hard in the moment, but looking back I wouldn't have had it any other way. He instilled in me my love of politics. Wish he coulda met my kids and husband though. That would have been cool.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe is right!

eHugs

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe is right!

Best of luck with everything.

My last few years have been crazy.

Got accepted to grad school, then my granduncle, like a father to me, died at 83 after a very protracted period of disease. Then, in my first semester, my dad died at 54 to completely unknown circumstances alone in Florida; while working on an impromptu assignment I got a call from a Florida detective about his death, weeks afterward. He decomposed alone for weeks unfound, only discovered by his partner.

Then, on New Year;s Eve 2017, my grandfather died of Alzheimer's. My other grandfather had a stroke in October 2017, then shot himself in the head this February 10th, and a cousin we called Aunt Linda died one month later to the day of a sudden heart attack.

It's been a trying few years. A 4.0 in grad school with a year-late thesis, plus those deaths, plus my cat of 14 years getting sick, and a girlfriend of 6 years pushing marriage, and more. It's exhausting.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

It can be difficult, but I can't see it going any other way.

I'm just enough on the spectrum that I've never been able to create many connections outside of family. My mom literally has no one else to see her through the last of her life. My brother and her have lasted a total sum of a week together in one house with out both of them devolving into barely functioning apes.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
My first political memories were probably watching the West Wing as a young teen with my family. It'd take us 2 hours to get through an episode because me and my sister had questions about how X thing worked in real life or debated some policy or principle from the show. We transferred over to the Daily Show later in Bush's term.

Status
Not open for further replies.