• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
That Bigfoot ad is brilliant!

I'm terrible at math, but aren't there 100 senators, 51R 49D? What are you calculating there? Shouldn't your percentages be halved? 12% of Republican senators are women versus 34% of Democrats.
This is what happens when I get 6 hours of sleep.

I'll leave it up for posterity. Holy shit that's terrible. Sorry everyone.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I can't get over that there's no hint of an official investigation by law enforcement.

Come Monday she'll testify that Kav attempted to rape her while his best friend looked on, and then what?

Unless by some miracle, Kav will get confirmed and becomes untouchable.

It's practically impossible to investigate allegations this old without a paper trail or multiple corroborating witnesses. A civil case would probably be more appropriate, but I don't think Ford is interested in spending the rest of her life looking over her shoulders.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Apparently Ivanka told Trump to drop Kavanaugh

Ivanka Trump is not a reliable source on Ivanka Trump, and if it's Gabe Kaplan reporting, his source is Ivanka Trump.

I wouldn't blame Ford for not testifying, in fact I don't expect her to. To subject yourself to threats of personal injury, eviction and death—and that's just from the Republican senators on the Judiciary Committee.

Oct 25, 2017
It's practically impossible to investigate allegations this old without a paper trail or multiple corroborating witnesses. A civil case would probably be more appropriate, but I don't think Ford is interested in spending the rest of her life looking over her shoulders.

It's impossible to investigate to the point where you could convince the DOJ to press charges, but that isn't what this is about at all. It is not impossible or even out of the ordinary for an investigation to happen in the context of a background check for someone who is about to take federal office. The fact that the FBI isn't interviewing people about this is unconscionable.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
But obviously it is a good thing if he thinks 2020 is the thing to focus on and that he's not responsible for what happens in 2018.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
It's impossible to investigate to the point where you could convince the DOJ to press charges, but that isn't what this is about at all. It is not impossible or even out of the ordinary for an investigation to happen in the context of a background check for someone who is about to take federal office. The fact that the FBI isn't interviewing people about this is unconscionable.

The DoJ already chimed in that the allegation isn't a federal crime and totally not their job as far as background checks go:

They ask the question "has this person committed a felony? Y/N", opening up 30 yo assault cold cases that have nothing to do with government or crimes against the state is a job for local law enforcement.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
OKay, some NM02 thoughts, then some TX07 thoughts when they're done, then I'm not going to watch these polls for the rest of the night.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/elections-poll-nm02-1.html

NM02
OPEN
Romney+7
Trump+10

Torres Small (D): 46
Herrell (R): 45

This is an interesting district. Majority Hispanic, but a lot of rural whites and with low Hispanic turnout, it's generally the Republican base of New Mexico. We won the seat back in 2008, but in general, it usually proves a hard live. Incumbent Steve Pearce is doing his favorite thing, which is running for statewide office during wave years for Democrats so that leaves this seat open. We see here with the toplines it's fairly neck and neck, but unlike other districts under the hood doesn't look particularly Republican or Democratic.

First, favorables:

Torres Small: 33/17
Herrell: 23/20

Both are largely unknown, though Herrell is a state rep, so it should be concerning to her that her numbers aren't higher. On the other hand, Torres Small has great net favorables, though she's still at 50% Don't Know.

Trump Approval: 47/47
Preferred House Control: R 50, D 43

You see here two things: Trump is neither popular nor unpopular, and half want Republican control of Congress. But while only 43% admit to wanting Democratic control, Torres Small is running 3 points ahead of that number. If she consolidates the Trump disapproval (likely) and enough of the don't care about control with some R support, she can get to 50+1%. The R+7 GCB gives me pause, but the vast majority of undecided votes are Hispanic, and my guess/hope is that they'll break Torres Small's way. I would honestly shift this from Lean Republican to Tossup.

Nate agrees.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Kava-naaaah's character witness has some...things to say

Not long after this smirking bit of "humor," though, Judge showed another side of his marriage of manly-man attitudes and religious conservatism. In a Daily Caller piece ("Barack Obama: the First Female President") deploring the fact that, in his opinion, Michelle Obama wore the pants in the First Family, Judge offered this nostalgic sentiment:
Oh for the days when president George W. Bush gave his wife Laura a loving but firm pat on the backside in public. The man knew who was boss.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/politics/ford-letter-fbi/index.html

(CNN)The woman accusing Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault says the FBI should investigate the incident before senators hold a hearing on the allegations.

In a letter addressed to Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley of Iowa, and obtained by CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360," Christine Blasey Ford's attorneys argue that "a full investigation by law enforcement officials will ensure that the crucial facts and witnesses in this matter are assessed in a non-partisan manner, and that the Committee is fully informed before conducting any hearing or making any decisions."

The letter from Ford's lawyers notes that despite receiving a "stunning amount of support from her community," Ford has also "been the target of vicious harassment and even death threats" and has been forced to leave her home.

"We would welcome the opportunity to talk with you and Ranking Member Feinstein to discuss reasonable steps as to how Dr. Ford can cooperate while also taking care of her own health and security," the letter from Ford's lawyers said.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Shit.

Like, I understand the hesitation and I respect her decision, but she's already getting the harassment as it is... might as well try to go for the kill on Kavanaugh.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The DoJ already chimed in that the allegation isn't a federal crime and totally not their job as far as background checks go:

They ask the question "has this person committed a felony? Y/N", opening up 30 yo assault cold cases that have nothing to do with government or crimes against the state is a job for local law enforcement.

If either the White House or Grassley requested more from the DoJ that would do it. I really don't know why you are fixated on opening a 30 year old case when that is not what this is at all. I am not going to implicitly trust a Orrin Hatch spin tweet and would suggest you don't either. The GOP desperately want this to be seen as a criminal case because it is far easier to dismiss that way. That is not what this is.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The New York Times and Upshot has taught me that everyone picks up their phone in Iowa.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't blame her. Having a third party assess the situation and the facts before she throws herself to the wolves about something she did not want to be involved with in the first place is the right thing to do, as frustrating as it might be to some of us. Let's see how it plays out.

Oct 25, 2017
This letter sets up a game of chicken between Ford and Grassley. I think this is a power play from Ford more than it is her shirking away.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
He'll get confirmed. The blame belongs not to her, but to the farce put on by those fucking toads in the Senate.

We'll get Kavanaugh after we get Congress.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
So what happens to all the R senators who put out statements that they wanted to hear Ford testify? Will they now say never mind or acquiesce to further investigation? Is this rhetorical?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
So what happens to all the R senators who put out statements that they wanted to hear Ford testify? Will they now say never mind or acquiesce to further investigation? Is this rhetorical?
It gives them an easy out. They gave her a chance and she didn't show up.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that the sealed Whitehouse docs on Kavanaugh are going to become very important to our political atmosphere next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.