• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Might've already been posted, but just in case not, via the 2018-19 Season TV Cancellations/Pilots thread:

James Comey's 'A Higher Loyalty' Near Deal At CBS Studios For Miniseries From Billy Ray, Alex Kurtzman & Shane Salerno

'Chasing Hillary': Amy Chozick's Clinton Presidential Campaign Memoir Nabbed By Warner Bros. TV For Series Development

And

Last year, TriStar Television optioned Jonathan Allen & Amie Parnes' book Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign, which traces the missteps that led to her crushing defeat at the hands of Donald Trump, to develop as a limited series.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woodward has said he didn't look into Russian collusion. He said if he wanted that story he would have went to Russia to get the real story, but at this point in his life he is scared to, since he believes they would try to kill him. He said if he was 30 he would probably go and recommends reporters younger than him go

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
You understand why no one took your opinion at face value, right? Particularly considering your history of waving off Mueller's case in your <300 posts

Well I'll be, now I'm going to have to pull out my laptop and look at my post history. I don't think that's why I was accused of having Maga leanings, that was weird, but I didn't think I posted here enough to be profiled as a Mueller hating goon.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Woodward has said he didn't look into Russian collusion. He said if he wanted that story he would have went to Russia to get the real story, but at this point in his life he is scared to, since he believes they would try to kill him. He said if he was 30 he would probably go and recommends reporters younger than him go
Wut. I'm old, so I'm scared of dying. Younger people should totally go though.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I know I'm a little late on the matter, but I appreciate that it can be easy to say "well, if she went in with her real name, why not go all the way with it?"; it's never ever that simple. It's an unfortunate truth to this stuff. Stuff like that detail of Grassley saying she should sit at the same table as him are exactly why this is complicated. TLDR; men [in positions of power] are largely morons on women's issues on top of being a victim being really difficult.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Texas was always a long shot. Why stress about it?

Dems are not winning TX. A good scare is the best they can extract from this effort - and amplifying a young handsome charismatic prospect. That is not nothing.

It's not just about Texas. It's about Latinx turnout nationwide. Gonna be hard to grab a few swing seats in California and Texas with depressed Latinx turnout, like the Orange County seats, CA10, CA23, TX23, TX07, TX10, TX32, and even the seats in NJ. It matters.

Hence, what keeps me up at night.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That TX Senate seat had 2 Hispanic guys running and the Dem who held the seat went to prison. I wouldn't read much into it

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Do you think perhaps the goal is an FBI statement so that she can get some kind of victim/witness protections and security for her family, who, you know, is being accosted with death threats and god knows what other garbage over this?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Asha Rangappa‏Verified account @AshaRangappa_ 18m18 minutes ago

Asha Rangappa Retweeted Mark S. Zaid

The retired FBI agent with whom I spoke (who does background checks) said that backgrounds for presidential appointees only go back 10 years or back to age 18. So anything outside of that scope would (presumably?) need a request from the WH.

Asha Rangappa‏Verified account @AshaRangappa_

I am assuming that the rationale behind this policy is 1) that "youthful indiscretions" (as a minor) are likely to be things like recreational drug use, public urination, etc. that would waste time and resources and 2) that serious offenses would have been adjudicated and sealed.

Explains the conflicting arguments on if the FBI can investigate.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Stupid local reporter lady on CNN went and talked to Ford's friends and found out she's a liberal and now reporting it. Exactly the kind of reporting we need right now. SMH.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

Thomas's testimony confirms the FBI investigates allegations.

I think the difference is that Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas incidents happened when they were adults and also within the 10 year window of 1991's hearings whereas Kav and Dr Ford's incident took place 30+ years ago and when both were minors. Again I dont know how FBI works but I'm not sure if this is apples to apples.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
That TX Senate seat had 2 Hispanic guys running and the Dem who held the seat went to prison. I wouldn't read much into it
I'm cautiously inclined to agree.

We outvoted the GOP 60-40 in the jungle primary for this seat. This outcome occurred partly because of the sleaze with the previous incumbent and partly because it was a special election soon before an election with only one thing on the ballot. Abott and co. scheduled it specifically to attain this result. While we should always be mindful about Hispanic turnout - and it may very well hurt us - all those things I mentioned won't be factors in November.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The Trump Tower meeting in June '16 was collusion. Taking a meeting with Russians who present themselves as representatives of the Kremlin on the promise of getting dirt about Hillary Clinton is fucking collusion, and the repeated lying about it is obstruction of justice.

Unless you have a vested interest in being an intellectually dishonest pundit out to protect Trump at all costs, the collusion question was settled a year ago. It happened and Don Jr. released the emails to prove it.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just about Texas. It's about Latinx turnout nationwide. Gonna be hard to grab a few swing seats in California and Texas with depressed Latinx turnout, like the Orange County seats, CA10, CA23, TX23, TX07, TX10, TX32, and even the seats in NJ. It matters.

Hence, what keeps me up at night.
Why is that? I'd think they'd be as motivated as ever to turnout

Oct 27, 2017
The Trump Tower meeting in June '16 was collusion. Taking a meeting with Russians who present themselves as representatives of the Kremlin on the promise of getting dirt about Hillary Clinton is fucking collusion, and the repeated lying about it is obstruction of justice.

Unless you have a vested interest in being an intellectually dishonest pundit out to protect Trump at all costs, the collusion question was settled a year ago. It happened and Don Jr. released the emails to prove it.

Sometimes you have to give disingenuous posters a pair of golf shoes and then watch them stomp on their own dicks.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there speculation that Latinx voters were more closely following Asian voting patterns than African American voting patterns? That is, as a group they are more willing to buy into the "I've got mine" mentality that the Republican party as a whole ideologically resembles?

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if Dowd was covering for trump calling him an idiot and liar is a heck of a cover The fact that he was his lawyer saw how stupid trump was saw that he lied all the time see him lie in the mock interview and still believed that he hadn't colluded with Russia stuck with me.
That's pretty standard rhetoric when a client is widely known to be a horrible person. "Yeah, he's a jerk, an asshole, some one who skips the line... but that doesn't mean he did XYZ."
He makes a determination, he thinks trump didn't collude. He didn't find anything to suggest that and just turned everything over to Mueller expecting a quick resolution That was a strategic mistake, of course, but with the access that he had to documents and transcripts, including the Flynn and comey stuff I would have expected a different legal strategy if he thought different about his client's culpability.
He turned everything over to Mueller because he purposely found no evidence of collusion. How is that a mistake? As his lawyer, knowing about discovery rules, why would he try to uncover collusion? The less documented information he had, the better.

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there speculation that Latinx voters were more closely following Asian voting patterns than African American voting patterns? That is, as a group they are more willing to buy into the "I've got mine" mentality that the Republican party as a whole ideologically resembles?

Latinx Americans and Asian Americans have parents that come from completely different cultures.

Black Americans mostly come from Black American culture.

That there is more variation among Latinx and Asian Americans should be clear.

As an example, China and SK and Japan... Are quite different from each other.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Why is that? I'd think they'd be as motivated as ever to turnout

• It's cultural. Many are first and second generation, and, thus didn't get brought up in a culture of voting in the US election. There also can be plain old language barriers and advertising materials aren't usually made for the Latinos in a particular market.

• Millennials and Gen Z make up a very large part of the demographic -- Almost half. And those millennials vote less than whites and far less than blacks in the same age group.

• Latino populations are concentrated in Texas, New York, and California. Turnout in those areas are low in general, especially among the young. "Vote don't matter" syndrome.

Look to New Mexico, the state with one of the largest Hispanic populations, the largest Hispanic share, and the largest Hispanic voter share, for tips on how to engage Latino voters. Have Latino candidates. Have all of your materials bilingual. Have Spanish messaging. Get young people involved in the Get Out The Vote process. It's pretty easy. The state votes Dem reliably while being a very rural state.

That has not really been the case at all in 2018 or 2017. Trump is still at around 30% approval with Latinos.

Isn't that historically low for a Republican? Until Obama, Republicans actually appealed to Latinos and appealed for their vote.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Black and white people have roughly equal turnout, percentage-wise. White people just outnumber black people by an extremely large margin, and in a lot of states with large black populations, racist white politicians cram black voters into one or two districts and/or disenfranchise them.

Oct 26, 2017
People in Brazil currently want to block refugees coming from Venezuela.

A lot of Latinx and Asian Americans are first or second generation, I can imagine a lot of them view themselves as Chinese American or Mexican American instead of Hispanic or Asian American.

So there will be more variation in beliefs than black Americans who share a lot of similar experiences and have similar parental history and similar culture (obviously there's a huge amount of variation but still probably less than people who came from countries that were completely hostile to each other like China and Japan).

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Latinx Americans and Asian Americans have parents that come from completely different cultures.

Black Americans mostly come from Black American culture.

That there is more variation among Latinx and Asian Americans should be clear.

As an example, China and SK and Japan... Are quite different from each other.

Yes, all true. But I'm not arguing point-of-origin culture. I'm arguing, I suppose, a difference in opinion in how people view people like themselves, and how that affects opinions on immigration and the economy (and thus voting preference). I'm also arguing that Latinx and Asian Americans may not be a voting block akin to African Americans.

A quick Google, for instance, reveals

A California congressional race reveals political divisions in the Asian-American community

The finding illustrates that although the district is a majority-minority district of Asian Americans, the Asian-American community is not a monolithic voting bloc.

Though I'm not entirely certain how accurate this is for Latinx and Asian Americans nationally, hence my phrasing my post as a question.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People always forget about Vietnamese, Cambodians and Laotians.

Generational too. My Chinese in-laws became more and more conservative, eventually watching Fox News and picking up a little bit of ironic racism. Their main concerns became a vague and unfounded fear that poor people and immigrants were coming to steal their savings and social security and Healthcare.

Oct 26, 2017
When you think about it, it's pretty weird that Indian Americans and Chinese Americans are both just thrown together as "Asian Americans" in terms of politics.

India and China have not much in common.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
When you think about it, it's pretty weird that Indian Americans and Chinese Americans are both just thrown together as "Asian Americans" in terms of politics.

India and China have not much in common.
Even when you slice white voters up by ethnicity, you get incredibly divergent partisan gaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.