• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna rob the coffers of diaster funding to building a fucking racist dick replacement that helps no one.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Presumably he'd end the shutdown if he declares national emergency because he wouldn't want to take the polling hit on continued shutdown (especially if he's shutting it down for... what now?) and his overstepping with national emergency
The interes
It's concerning to contemplate whether the office of the President has the power to do just that - declare their own disaster during a shutdown - and have it stick.
They were already talking on the news this afternoon that it might be a power to look at curtailing for the future.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
So now Trump and Senate Republicans have no exit ramp if declaring an State of Emergency becomes politically toxic. Pelosi just has to wait them out like she has been doing while the pressure keeps heating up on McConnel/Trump.

They have 2 options:

1. Negotiate a bill that with a small bit of wall money for a shit ton of D stuff so Trump can pretend (lie to his base) he won

2. Fold

Best part of option 1 is that mot republicans leaders don't even want the wall and will be trading it for stuff they loathe. :-)

Oct 27, 2017

Lindsey Graham @LindseyGrahamSC

Mr. President, the Democrats are not working in good faith with you.

Declare emergency, build the wall now.

I'm 99% sure Graham is a shameless lickspittle, but I'm still ooooone percent uncertain he might be trying to shove Trump into ruin.

Like, that shit is just straight up Wormtongue, no ice no chaser.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

Lindsey Graham @LindseyGrahamSC

Mr. President, the Democrats are not working in good faith with you.

Declare emergency, build the wall now.

BqUwm2p.jpg

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I sit every day in awe of the Democrats who actively did not want Nancy Pelosi as the Speaker of the House. In this time. During this presidency. I sleep better every day knowing she has the gavel and she is the one with the balls and know how to check Trumps bullshit.

Oct 30, 2017
In regards to my post about the 30%, I know they're stupid pieces of shit largely fueled by racism and misogyny. What I meant was more along the lines of what the hell happened to those people to make them that way. It can't all be blamed on racism. That's gotta come from somewhere.

Also, I really wish more Democrats and the media would direct attacks against McConnell over the shutdown. They should be stressing the fact that he could end this today by bringing the bill to the floor and overriding the veto.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I sit every day in awe of the Democrats who actively did not want Nancy Pelosi as the Speaker of the House. In this time. During this presidency. I sleep better every day knowing she has the gavel and she is the on with the balls and know how to check Trumps bullshit.
Then you wake up and remember RBG has missed a week of court without any word.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
In regards to my post about the 30%, I know they're stupid pieces of shit largely fueled by racism and misogyny. What I meant was more along the lines of what the hell happened to those people to make them that way. It can't all be blamed on racism. That's gotta come from somewhere.

Yeah, it comes from:
- Their racist parents and grandparents
- Fox News and conservative radio
- Living in super rural areas where seeing a black person is remarkable enough that it's brought up at the dinner table

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
RBG has an event scheduled in LA for 1/29 that hasn't been canceled. Tickets go on sale next Wednesday, 1/16. If they cancel it before then, I'll be a little worried, though she could be fine and still recovering even if she can't attend.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Read this and feel better:

CNBC: Top cancer doctors expect Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg back on the bench by February

Probably shouldn't be that surprising that she needs time to recuperate, especially when most everything else points to her being fine.
Right. The procedure she had takes 4-7 weeks for recovery even in a younger person. She only had it on December 21. This is normal.

Per that Politico article earlier, the Trump administration doesn't know any more than we do. They just hope she goes one way or the other because they're bad people.

I mean, this could be it, but we haven't gotten any evidence of that being the case.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Two fronts; if Mueller has anything big on trump, the GOP Senate will look the other way.
OR, Mueller, due to the sheer weight of trump being president, won't really go for anything largely incriminating.

Again, this is just an irrational fear of mine, most based on how all the shit he's done over the last two years have still to catch up with him in any meaningful way.
I see. Well, regarding Senate Republicans, they aren't going to turn on Trump any earlier than they'd (potentially) feel a need to. Certainly not before Mueller's findings are made public. Remember that the GOP didn't turn on Nixon until nearly the last moment possible, when the tapes came out. This isn't to say the same thing is going to happen here, but it's important to keep in mind.

Regarding Mueller, everything we know about him points to a man who serves his country first and does what is asked of him. And it's currently his specific duty to investigate and get to the bottom of this mess, regardless of politics. I think he understands that if Trump is guilty of all the things we hope he is that it's better for our country and for our democracy to have it laid out. The weight of the Presidency would not overrule the weight of his sense of duty to the country, imo.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Right. The procedure she had takes 4-7 weeks for recovery even in a younger person. She only had it on December 21. This is normal.

Per that Politico article earlier, the Trump administration doesn't know any more than we do. They just hope she goes one way or the other because they're bad people.

I mean, this could be it, but we haven't gotten any evidence of that being the case.
Likewise, we should be laying the groundwork to stack the courts. Just in case.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
If the GOP had any form of principles( probably would have never got to this point though), Trump declaring a national emergency would cause some sort of schism within the party.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if he tries this how the hell do you get the land? Is this going to be held up by the courts?

Seems like something a dictator would do huh.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Dumb question probably, but how would stacking the courts go when republicans inevitably come back to power? Can't they just stack it in their favor?
Yes, then maybe when democrats get back in power it'll be clearly crazy enough that a constitutional amendment can fix the whole sittuation. Or we just go back and forth forever, which would be better than an always conservative court.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
So the way it works legally is that those of us designated essential employees are guaranteed to get paid. The folks that are on furlough aren't guaranteed but have never not been paid. Contractors are screwed and never get anything.

We're kind of entering uncharted territory now though. No one I know has been through this long of a shutdown (I"very been on 20 years) and I"m starting to fear that the furloughed workers are not going to get full pay, if for nothing but Trump's spite, which will be financially devastating for a lot of them. I'm fairly certain that we're going to lose a lot of good people just because it would be irresponsible to put their families through another situation like this one again.
Looks like Turtle allowed a vote on backpay for furloughed workers once the shutdown ends. House is voting on it tomorrow and Cheeto is saying he'll sign it.

Senate approves back pay for federal workers when shutdown ends

The Senate approved a bill by voice vote to provide back pay to federal workers currently on furlough or working without pay when the government shutdown ends. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said President Trump has indicated he will sign the bill, which first must be passed by the House.

Mr. Trump and congressional Democrats are currently at an impasse over the partial government shutdown, with Mr. Trump refusing to sign any legislation which does not provide funding for a border wall. McConnell has said that he will not put any bills that won't get Mr. Trump's signature on the Senate floor.

"I had an opportunity to talk to the president a few moments ago, and wanted to indicate to our colleagues that he will sign the bill that we are discussing here to guarantee that government workers who've been displaced because of the shutdown will ultimately be compensated," McConnell said on the Senate floor.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/senate-approves-back-pay-for-federal-workers-when-shutdown-ends/

Status
Not open for further replies.