• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
And here is an observation of a former Republican congressman Joe Walsh, an early Trump supporter who woke up and now repudiates him, that is 100% spot on.

I wish people would realize that the "both sides do/are..." crowd (including most of the press/media) could not have been more consistently wrong.
I've watched for years how the right-wing has promulgated the false equivalency narratives. What is about to unfold with trump and the GOP in front of America is going to be sooooo well deserved.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Yep.

Daniel Dale @ddale8

This tweet is missing a key noun: heroin.

He usually says the US loses 300 people a week to heroin, 90% of which comes through the border; accurate as of 2017. Intentionally or accidentally, this tweet lets people think 300 people are being murdered by unauthorized immigrants.

Wrong, 297 people a week die from opiate overdoses. Some are heroin, some are fentanyl, some are pharmaceuticals. So only some of the deaths are from heroin and 90% of that comse over the border while most other opiates come from other sources (China, pharmacies,...).

Oct 25, 2017

Just pull a Sirota and dishonestly conflate individual donations with receiving money from corporations.

I feel like this shit is a favorite tactic for these assholes.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Can Gavin Newsom just run or something.

Beto is kind of a dork and I'm like 15% worried he's taken money from Russians because of the Ukraine thing and that weird report that kremlin bot farms were supporting him during that senate race

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Newsom has dirt of his own and should probably stay in CA even if he looks like the handsome president from central casting.
I'd say he looks more like he got cast as the head coach in Mighty Ducks reboot but, oh well, figured as much

I just think we are in need of someone else getting in that we sort of aren't talking about to shake things up a bit. I don't really dig how the field looks atm if it ends up looking like we expect it to. I don't want to say something crazy like Oprah-tier but I'm getting there

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Grab 'em by the fuzzy.

I didn't watch or hear it (fun fact: I've never actually seen or heard Beto say anything), but just knowing it happened, I got flashbacks of Dean's scream.

There's a point where we just all stop and look at each other and quietly leave the room. This may have been that.

Dude gives a fantastic speech.

Can Gavin Newsom just run or something.

Beto is kind of a dork and I'm like 15% worried he's taken money from Russians because of the Ukraine thing and that weird report that kremlin bot farms were supporting him during that senate race

I'd vote for Newsom, he seems like a good dude and looks like a president from on a CW casting session.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Beto should tap Lamont as his VP and tour the country with him so he'll always look cool no matter what. Even if he starts streaming himself painting war hammer figures or something

devSin

Oct 27, 2017

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

Just pull a Sirota and dishonestly conflate individual donations with receiving money from corporations.

I feel like this shit is a favorite tactic for these assholes.

Yes, because they know idiots will see it and assume the person is ~~~corrupt~~~ and bought by Big _____________.
At least from what I can tell from the Twitter comments, it seems like a lot of people ain't buying it this time around.which is good.

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No. He's still got a long way to go to prove he has the chops to be a real leader.

And while it doesn't matter in a CA governor's race, a history of adultery and alcohol abuse may not play well on the national stage.

Just to be clear, I'm not watching that. So I'll take your word for it.
We live in a reality where Trump won in spite of being a draft dodging adulterous treasonous incestious sexual predator because "Mah Racism" and "Hillary Clinton murdered Benjamin Ghazi".

I think that while it's problematic, using his own history of Alcohol Abuse as part of a hypothetical campaign drive to reform how we treat addiction would be one way to counter it.

Adultery is more of an issue, but I'd argue it all depends on how he'd sell what happened.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish they wouldn't resort to dishonesty.

Talk about her record as prosecutor and prisoners rights.

However "shes a cop" is a terrible meme that needs to fuck off forever.
The lefties completely overlooking the really, really awful Ukraine vote and really really awful explanation because it overlaps with their crappy worldview kinda says it

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"I went over to give my friend's wife a cup of sugar and I tripped and fell on her."

How the hell do you "sell" it?
"Yes, I cheated on my wife. I will not deny that what I did hurt her severely and caused her pain. It was something I did that was morally wrong by the conventional standard of a healthy marriage.

However, she didn't immediately go "Fuck you", despite having every right to. She was angry, frustrated, sad, etc, but she made the choice to stand with me. I wouldn't have blamed her for leaving me, but she didn't, because part of what we vowed was to be there for each other through our struggles.

That's what I ask of you as the American Voters. Our Government is flawed at times, and I know it's far too easy to want to throw in the towel because it seems like nothing you do does anything. So I'd like to ask you to view it this way: Should I be elected to the office of the Presidency, I will trust you, the American People, to hold me accountable to my promises I make on the campaign. If two years have passed and My administration is failing you, then let us know.

In return, all I ask is that you stay active. This idea that you only matter as voters to us every two years is wrong. Openly participate in your local political groups. I ask this of you because the breaking point of government, as well as marriage, lay in communication.

I didn't communicate with my wife and ended up hurting her. It's only through communication that we were able to reconnect. I know that there has been much done in the past century to shake up American confidence in their government, but I promise that we promote effective communication with my Administration."

(I'm typing on Mobile, so my bad for how shit it sounds/if it doesn't reflect the governor, but my point is that there has to be some way to write a speech that Admits to the fuckup of adultery while using it as a lesson/campaign promise.)

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
We live in a reality where Trump won in spite of being a draft dodging adulterous treasonous incestious sexual predator because "Mah Racism" and "Hillary Clinton murdered Benjamin Ghazi".

I think that while it's problematic, using his own history of Alcohol Abuse as part of a hypothetical campaign drive to reform how we treat addiction would be one way to counter it.

Adultery is more of an issue, but I'd argue it all depends on how he'd sell what happened.

It's not a good idea to use what Trump got away with with any candidate we have. We're not Republicans, the FBI isn't our friend helping us win elections and allies in other countries aren't tilting elections in our favour. He's not a barometer of past Republican presidential candidates, either. George W Bush had severe problems but they were traditional GOP bullshit, unlike Trump who is not only a scandal machine but nothing truly sinks him with his base or cuts traditional Republicans from him since they need him more than he needs them to fulfil their agenda.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
See the primary thread. He voted against a Ukraine-supporting act after the Crimean invasion and his explanation 4 years later is baaad.
Look at it this way-- Even if he has a single semi-questionable tie to Ukraine, it'll be impossible to be weaker on Russia than Trump is, lol. Those are entirely valid issues for a primary, of course, but I'd argue it's nothing like the Russian stench emanating from Bernie he has to deal with.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Am I ignorant or could Congress pass a bill that all it does is run payroll for the 800k workers?

Either everyone gets paid or you get the GOP on the record against workers

Nov 30, 2017
Yep. There are a ton of white rural families on food stamps. If they don't get their money, they will turn. "I've got mine" stops working when you actually don't have anything.

Y'all keep saying this, and it's tellikg the utter and complete lack of history that gets taught in America.

If you don't think white people will give up their very very last in order to oppress others, then you haven't been paying attention for the past 400 years.

LBJ has a quote about this attached to him for a reason.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Y'all keep saying this, and it's tellikg the utter and complete lack of history that gets taught in America.

If you don't think white people will give up their very very last in order to oppress others, then you haven't been paying attention for the past 400 years.

LBJ has a quote about this attached to him for a reason.
We just have to look to Brexit to see how much pain racist white people are willing to put up with to see other groups suffer.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Am I ignorant or could Congress pass a bill that all it does is run payroll for the 800k workers?

Either everyone gets paid or you get the GOP on the record against workers
The house has been doing stuff like this. McConnell has been refusing to bring it to a vote in the senate because Trump won't sign it into law, as if there is no other way for it to become law (there is).

Oct 26, 2017
The house has been doing stuff like this. McConnell has been refusing to bring it to a vote in the senate because Trump won't sign it into law, as if there is no other way for it to become law (there is).
yep. and this is why the Dems plan of attempting to reopen every individual department, then repass the bill to reopen everything is fantastic.

because it makes mcconnell/senate R's and trump personally responsible for every department not getting paid.

atm, I think this is the most likely outcome.

This has a 50/50 chance of being the longest running government shutdown in history. But theres "hard" deadline. that deadline is snap. Even before Snap runs out on FEB 28th, TSA will more than likely be calling out sick, 60%+ after a 3rd-4th week of having to work unpaid. (which in turn makes air travel around the country grind to a halt)

At this point, The Senate R's not seeing any pathout, will vote. and pass the overall funding without the wall. IF it is veto proof or not wont matter much.
Trump will either VETO it, or refuse to sign it. Thusly shifting the resentment from Senate R's towards the whitehouse admin and trump.

Depending on what the whitehouse/trump do at this point, could very well trigger articles of impeachment. If he continues to act as a child and refuse to open/pay people. with the growing public resentment, that may or may not become protests + will force the senate and house to action.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck off Joe Lieberman you haven't been relevant since quasi sabotaging the ACA

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Oh my god... That is fantastic. She is so damn good lol.

Seeing these idiotic boomers getting fuck out of politics and positions of power will be amazing.

Republicans are getting continually exposed as such uniformly out-of-touch weirdos. It's like that video that Cruz put out about Beto swearing.

as if showing up is somehow bad now?

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017

ForsakenValidCrab-size_restricted.gif

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
So. Temporary protected status about to expire for El Salvador?

Try as Stephen Miller likes, you can't expel all non-whites from the country...

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Who cares that Republicans and Trump abuses his power when Dems theoretically could too someday?!

That's some dangerous Fascism like logic right there. With that logic they could break down all norms and even the constitution just to "beat Democrats" to it. And the fact that it's coming from somebody like Rubio just means it's a line of thinking throughout the whole party, it's not fringe.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think I've said this before, but electing a black woman to fix Trump's fuckups would be some sweet cathartic justice. I'm inclined to support Harris in the primary if for no other reason.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
"Yes, I cheated on my wife. I will not deny that what I did hurt her severely and caused her pain. It was something I did that was morally wrong by the conventional standard of a healthy marriage.

However, she didn't immediately go "Fuck you", despite having every right to. She was angry, frustrated, sad, etc, but she made the choice to stand with me. I wouldn't have blamed her for leaving me, but she didn't, because part of what we vowed was to be there for each other through our struggles.

That's what I ask of you as the American Voters. Our Government is flawed at times, and I know it's far too easy to want to throw in the towel because it seems like nothing you do does anything. So I'd like to ask you to view it this way: Should I be elected to the office of the Presidency, I will trust you, the American People, to hold me accountable to my promises I make on the campaign. If two years have passed and My administration is failing you, then let us know.

In return, all I ask is that you stay active. This idea that you only matter as voters to us every two years is wrong. Openly participate in your local political groups. I ask this of you because the breaking point of government, as well as marriage, lay in communication.

I didn't communicate with my wife and ended up hurting her. It's only through communication that we were able to reconnect. I know that there has been much done in the past century to shake up American confidence in their government, but I promise that we promote effective communication with my Administration."

(I'm typing on Mobile, so my bad for how shit it sounds/if it doesn't reflect the governor, but my point is that there has to be some way to write a speech that Admits to the fuckup of adultery while using it as a lesson/campaign promise.)

It's a little more complicated than that...

He had an affair with his secretary, who was the wife of his campaign manager and "close friend."

He followed that episode up by dating a teenager who was half his age, and when that became untenable for his political career, he claimed it was because of alcoholism — to which he dedicated the rest of his life to sobriety is drinking "moderately" again.

That said, Newsom has a legitimate shot to run for President in the future. His ascension in CA is rather remarkable given his checkered personal history and lackluster governance. His positions on environmental and LGBT issues are enough for CA progressives to wash away the unsavory parts. If he can muster a few legislative victories as Governor, it wouldn't be shocking to see Democrats nationally forgive his past misgivings.

Status
Not open for further replies.