• Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

US PoliERA 2019 |OT1| You down wit' NDP? (Yeah you know me!) Who's down wit' AOC? (This whole party!)

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The entire last election was a referendum against Trump and no Republicans got the message.
Had they also lost the Senate I think the message would have been a lot more clear. I think a lot of them are kind of in denial about the map advantage they had in the Senate races so they feel like 2018 was a wash.

Oct 25, 2017

Steve King @SteveKingIA

Mr. President @RealDonaldTrump if the time comes that it is necessary for you declare a state of emergency for border security, build the whole wall out of concrete. Let it stand forever as a monument to the Rule of Law.
Apparently Republicans have forgotten what happens to concrete walls. Maybe Saint Ronald can remind them.

Oct 27, 2017
Had they also lost the Senate I think the message would have been a lot more clear. I think a lot of them are kind of in denial about the map advantage they had in the Senate races so they feel like 2018 was a wash.
Even having a 30% chance of losing those seats with that lineup was insane.

Oct 25, 2017
"Take a vacation from your bills!"

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2019/01/let-them-eat-vacation-days/580126/

This evening on the PBS Newshour, the chair of the White House’s Council of Economic Advisors, Kevin Hassett, said this about workers who are going without pay as the government shutdown nears its fourth week:

And another one:

What must it be like to be so rich and out of touch that you never have to worry about missing a paycheck?
Let them eat cake.

Oct 25, 2017
To acknowledge the map advantage would mean to start understanding all the structural advantages that make Republicans win in spite of losing raw vote counts, and a lot of Republicans don’t want to think about that.

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Even having a 30% chance of losing those seats with that lineup was insane.
To acknowledge the map advantage would mean to start understanding all the structural advantages that make Republicans win in spite of losing raw vote counts, and a lot of Republicans don’t want to think about that.
I mean Trump was out there bragging about winning the Senate races in Indiana and North Dakota like it was an accomplishment. Winning that FL seat was like a kick in the teeth though, it's possible that had Gillum and Nelson won their races that kind of shift in Trump's strongest purple state may have been enough to scare them.

Oct 30, 2017
US
I hope everyone in the Thread (and on ERA!) has a safe and happy weekend. Just want to get some good thoughts out there before the news cycle gets cranking today, and my anxiety kicks in.

Can you believe we're on page 138 of the OT, and we're 11 days into 2019? Slainte.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I hope everyone in the Thread (and on ERA!) a safe and happy weekend. Just want to get some good thoughts out there before the news cycle gets cranking today, and my anxiety kicks in.

Can you believe we're on page 138 of the OT, and we're 11 days into 2019? Slainte.
IMO we should be looking at post counts rather than pages, but I agree with you that this year is already starting off with a lot of bullshit. If I could I would double down on my bet that we would get more total OTs this year than 2018.

Oct 25, 2017
When the Right says "Rule of Law," especially when it's capitalized, they mean "our boots on their necks." They certainly don't mean laws applying equally to everyone.

Not that anyone really needs a translation anymore.
Never a bad time to repost Chris Hayes's op-ed on what "Law & Order" means to Trump.

The president’s boundless benefit of the doubt for the Rob Porters and Roy Moores of the world, combined with off-with-their-heads capriciousness for immigrants accused of even minor crimes, is not a contradiction. It is the expression of a consistent worldview that he campaigned on and has pursued in office.

In this view, crime is not defined by a specific offense. Crime is defined by who commits it. If a young black man grabs a white woman by the crotch, he’s a thug and deserves to be roughed up by police officers. But if Donald Trump grabs a white woman by the crotch in a nightclub (as he’s accused of doing, and denies), it’s locker-room high jinks.

[…]

A political movement that rails against “immigrant crime” while defending alleged abusers and child molesters is one that has stopped pretending to have any universalist aspirations. The president’s moral framework springs from an American tradition of cultivating fear and contempt among its white citizens against immigrants, indigenous people and people of color, who are placed on the other side of “the law.” It’s a practice that has taken on new strength at a time when many white people fear they may be outnumbered, outvoted and out of time.

Oct 25, 2017
I like how he cannot produce a single shred of evidence of this supposed "invasion of the hordes of brown people definitely coming to your lily white suburb".