• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
In other words, they've seen the polling and the discouragement from Republicans in Congress.

This is a problem. McConnell and the Republicans won't override his veto because they don't want to be primaried from the right and Speaker Pelosi cannot give in to terrorist threats, plus they would get killed in the polls for giving in at this point.

I don't see how this ends right now.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Rebecca Ballhaus @rebeccaballhaus

Trump says he wants Congress to vote to fund a concrete wall or steel barrier. "I don't care what they name it. They can name it peaches."

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
This is a problem. McConnell and the Republicans won't override his veto because they don't want to be primaried from the right and Speaker Pelosi cannot give in to terrorist threats, plus they would get killed in the polls for giving in at this point.

We are reaching the point where it's going to take workers marching into the senate and demanding they hold a vote. This would have already been over back in the day because pitchforks hurt.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something can be hard, and I don't anyone is saying there's an ease of primarying someone, and doing something that probably should've been done years ago — this is still the first Justice Dem move I've ever fulheartedly supported.
Yeah, my concern is more that I don't trust the JDs when it comes to candidate recruitment when pulling this off, which sucks because this absolutely should be done.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Odds the dept cieling is a shit show

I mean, if you are REALLY hankering for a terrible recession/possible depression, then sure, refuse to sign off on raising the debt ceiling and let the U.S.'s credit rating be downgraded and maybe even suggest that the government might default on its loan payments. That will get those poll numbers going back in the right direction for certain.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There was some speculation DeSantis and Scott are beefing because they're both eyeing to run in 2024.
There was a story yesterday about the friction between their teams, largely because of the transition. DeSantis was trying to begin setting up shop but because Scott's recount was taking longer he wasn't giving any time or space for the transition. Scott also decided he was going to throw himself an inaugural ball, and held it the same day and time as DeSantis'. And he threw a party in the governor's mansion after DeSantis and his family moved in.

Scott just seems like a petty asshole. Rubio doesn't like him either.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Important to not forget the author of Art of the Deal was convinced Trump was gonna take everyone down with him.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017

Rebecca Ballhaus @rebeccaballhaus

Trump says he wants Congress to vote to fund a concrete wall or steel barrier. "I don't care what they name it. They can name it peaches."

Yeah, this sounds increasingly like he is looking for a way out. Dems should offer $500 for some chain-link fencing and call it "Peaches Magoo's Big Honking Wall" and see if he bites.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Odds the dept cieling is a shit show
0. It's only an issue when Rs are in the majority in the House.

The Senate and the Democratic House won't play around with it.

The Rs are simply waiting to see if the tide turns against the Ds. They'll keep it shut down if Ds start taking an equal or greater share of the blame.

If that doesn't happen, they will have to act at some point. Politically, they can't survive an indefinite shutdown (whatever risk in overriding a veto, this will be worse).

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm surprised Trump hasn't actually done it yet. There is no endgame here, Trump is owning the shutdown and (as far as I'm aware), he's being increasingly blamed by the American people for it.

What's the endgame here? Hope and pray dems cave?

Taking the mantle of "longest shutdown in US history" isn't exactly the legacy you want

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I'd happily fund 5 billion in peaches we can hand out to starving and dehydrated immigrants when they reach the border.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my concern is more that I don't trust the JDs when it comes to candidate recruitment when pulling this off, which sucks because this absolutely should be done.
I mean Ayanna was also the perfect candidate to take down Capauno (and I actually think Kara Eastman could've won if that NYT poll didn't show her down by a bajillion and donors thought it was winnable earlier)

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think this applies to Klobuchar potentially as well. Almost no one has her as a first choice, but almost everyone would be okay with her as a backup option.

aa4.jpg

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
CNN showing new footage of Trump in the WH saying "if Congress cannot solve it, I will declare a national emergency"

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
This is easily the best year for the dems since 08. The unity + GOP attacks landing for the first time in a WHILE. no cowering and fear. All we need is a well liked candidate and we'll win everyfuckingthing in 2020

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I actually sort of respected this asshole for a bit for how he handled getting dunked on by SNL, and for reaching out to Davison when he posted those worrying tweets.

But fuck him.

Oh, he didn't get dunked on by SNL, what happened there was genuinely asinine.

I'm not going to bag on the guy for a dumb tweet...but if it keeps up I might. He's new, and he served, so I'm willing to give him extra benefit of the doubt on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.