• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah the days when women were dragged by media for saying they will not sit home and bake cookies. Which is ironic because Hillary won the cookie bakeoff that year.

I really don't think we've come much further since then. AoC would get in same hot water if she uttered what Hillary said.

Well part of the problem was Hillary's comment was insulting to, well, women who stayed home and baked cookies. There's nothing wrong or inferior about being a homemaker if that's what you choose to do. Hell the days I stay home with the kids, I wish I was working instead, it's not like it's an easy thing to do. Hillary could have made her point in a way that didn't disparage stay at home moms. Hopefully AOC doesn't make a similar mistake

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nadler too:

((Rep. Nadler))) @RepJerryNadler

Read my statement following reporting in @NYTimes that the FBI opened an inquiry for national security concerns into whether President Trump may have been working on behalf of Russia against American interests. As Chair of @HouseJudiciary, we will take action on this matter.

dwvt2sux4aa9t8kwyjg0.jpg

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Well part of the problem was Hillary's comment was insulting to, well, women who stayed home and baked cookies. There's nothing wrong or inferior about being a homemaker if that's what you choose to do. Hell the days I stay home with the kids, I wish I was working instead, it's not like it's an easy thing to do. Hillary could have made her point in a way that didn't disparage stay at home moms. Hopefully AOC doesn't make a similar mistake
She was not disparaging stay at home moms. She was breaking the gender roles: women were expected to stay home and bake cookies and leave the oh-so-important part of having a career and working to the man of the house. I don't see what she said as wrong. America and the media did not know what to make of this sharp lawyer from Little Rock who broke every stereotype. So they cast her as a demon and unamerican.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
It's a public access channel that televises federal government proceedings.

They still shouldn't be using Twitter polls, but they aren't using it for anything other than social media engagement.

Their networks also stream the parliamentary proceedings of other countries (namely Canada, UK, and Australia) and they have some big standard public affairs programing, like call-in shows and mini-docs.

Mini-docs I'll give you, but I don't count call in shows as news.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She was not disparaging stay at home moms. She was breaking the gender roles: women were expected to stay home and bake cookies and leave the oh-so-important part of having a career and working to the man of the house. I don't see what she said as wrong. America and the media did not know what to make of this sharp lawyer from Little Rock who broke every stereotype. So they cast her as a demon and unamerican.

So I had this exact debate with my wife, who was explaining to me part of the reason why a lot of women didn't like Hillary (besides defending Bill's cheating). I mostly made the same argument you just did. Then I went back and actually watched video of the quote in question, and yeah, I kinda got what she was saying. A stay at home mom could definitely take offense to the tone and tenor of her comments, and many apparently did. She could have made the same point in a different way.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
A criminal probe, a counterintelligence probe, an obstruction probe.

A criminal probe.

A counterintelligence probe.

An obstruction probe.

Are you getting it? These are not three separate probes, this is one probe, and we are calling it treason.

And we think you're going to love it.

I understood this reference.

The Bern is gonna have to release his tax returns for real this time

Hillary still hasn't released her emails sooooo

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those things where it's easy to be misinterpreted badly. Like last year, when Stacey Abrams said we needed jobs in Georgia besides farming and hospitality, it was easily twisted into a disparagement of those jobs. She didn't mean that we didn't need farming, but people who wanted to twist it into that, did so.

I think the issue of raising kids is one where people are particularly sensitive, because people want to do best by their kids and feel attacked when they feel like they aren't. If I had kids I'm sure I'd be guilty of that, too. Even though I know there's no one right answer.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

President Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladimir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials, current and former U.S. officials said.
Trump did so after a meeting with Putin in 2017 in Hamburg that was also attended by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. U.S. officials learned of Trump's actions when a White House adviser and a senior State Department official sought information from the interpreter beyond a readout shared by Tillerson.
The constraints that Trump imposed are part of a broader pattern by the president of shielding his communications with Putin from public scrutiny and preventing even high-ranking officials in his own administration from fully knowing what he has told one of the United States' main adversaries.
As a result, U.S. officials said there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump's face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years. Such a gap would be unusual in any presidency, let alone one that Russia sought to install through what U.S. intelligence agencies have described as an unprecedented campaign of election interference.
This is insane.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
President Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladimir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials, current and former U.S. officials said.
Trump did so after a meeting with Putin in 2017 in Hamburg that was also attended by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. U.S. officials learned of Trump's actions when a White House adviser and a senior State Department official sought information from the interpreter beyond a readout shared by Tillerson.
The constraints that Trump imposed are part of a broader pattern by the president of shielding his communications with Putin from public scrutiny and preventing even high-ranking officials in his own administration from fully knowing what he has told one of the United States' main adversaries.
As a result, U.S. officials said there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump's face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years. Such a gap would be unusual in any presidency, let alone one that Russia sought to install through what U.S. intelligence agencies have described as an unprecedented campaign of election interference.
This is insane.

This deserves its own thread.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, those interpreters need to be subpoenaed ASAP. How that isn't against the law is beyond me.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The damning thing is not to hide from the public or government officials, to hide them from his own administration

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like people have said all along, the collusion was happening right out in the open, practically in front of our eyes. Attempts at concealment like this were obvious and amateurish at best.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is insane.
rob-mcelhenney-eatcontract.gif

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017

Still, in the current climate Gabbard is aware that Democratic voters are drawn to politicians who seem to be leading the resistance to Trump and the Republicans, rather than searching for ways to work with them. Many of her supporters believe that, eventually, the mood will change. "At some point," Van Jones says, "the country's going to be tired of people whose only qualification is that they hate the other side."
Why am I not surprised.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
As has been said, this is ultimately going to come down to whether you care that the president is beholden to Russia or not. We know he is, and we've known it for over 2 years now.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
People who choose to believe that Trump is not playing puppet to Putin at this point are willfully ignorant and will never believe it.

Trump IS a national security risk, but tell me more about the dirty illegals spilling across the border World War Z style.

Status
Not open for further replies.