• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Alright who's the lucky intern that gets to put together 5 straight minutes of Rudy saying "there was no collusion in the campaign"

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the Democrats nominate David Duke as their candidate for President, am I obligated, in your view, to vote for him to drive Trump out of office?

No but you're probably internally obligated to justify this fucking trashfire strawman. Or delete your post history. Or block me.

PIGEON: Voting third party to defeat Nazis. I wish I was exaggerating this position.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just speaking anecdotally but the only place area I frequent (news sites, twitter or cable TV) where I see any mention of Ojeda is here. As some one mentioned earlier, I view him like Jim Webb. I see absolutely no chance of him winning and he takes up little to none of my thoughts. jmo
Oh, I don't think he has a chance either. He did get some media coverage when he declared but as others are declaring it's faded pretty fast.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
How about someone like any of the serious Dem contenders that aren't a literal white supremacist? What are you doing?

I'm using an extreme argument to make a point about the unreasonableness of a general principle. It's pretty simple.

No but you're probably internally obligated to justify this fucking trashfire strawman. Or delete your post history. Or block me.

Okay, so we agree that there is a point of candidate loathesomeness at which voting for the Democratic Party would not be justifiable or required, right? I'm arguing that Ojeda is past that point. If you disagree, you should say why.

PIGEON: Voting third party to defeat Nazis. I wish I was exaggerating this position.

If both parties nominate Nazis, that seems like the right response. Doesn't it?

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Mueller looked into any possible Bernie/Russia collusion and includes it in his report because at this point we're literally parroting Louise Mensch conspiracies.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
As someone pointed out on Twitter, Rudy does this every time the admin wants to get out in front of an upcoming story.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Lol, even if Trump is never directly implicated I'm still going to enjoy watching his campaign people go down in flames. Who knows maybe Mueller will surprise us and find enough evidence to indict someone we're not expecting like Ron and/or Rand Paul.

Oct 25, 2017
"Oh, just vote for the white supremacist who isn't quite as brazen about it as Trump" is the wildest "stereotypical white liberal dismissal of racism" position I've seen so-called allies defend in awhile.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
How about someone like any of the serious Dem contenders that aren't a literal white supremacist?

Also, to be clear, none of the other serious Dem contenders would be appropriate here, since Ojeda is the only candidate who would drive me to leave the Democratic Party. I said in December of 2016 my one true fear is that Dems would respond to Trump by moving to recapture the white supremacist vote and normalize white supremacy. Ojeda is that candidate, in my view.

(I guess Gabbard would also present a real pickle if she got nominated. Not really sure what I would do there given her LGBT stances. I would probably ask people I trust for their views before making a final decision.)

Jan 15, 2019
What does "rectified" mean here? They were pretty foreseeable outcomes. People said this stuff would happen at the time. So I don't really know why you would expect him to feel bad about the camps. I assume he wanted them built and wanted the kids kidnapped. Why would you assume otherwise?
That, to me, just doesn't fall in line with how people operate. When an elderly person with an AOL account responds to a "Nigerian prince", they don't want to be cheated out of their retirement money, they want what the scammer is promising at face value. People in desperate situations are prone to making bad decisions, this always has been and always will be true.

And the notion that every person who voted for Trump did so out of a desire to kill off all non-white people doesn't really merit serious consideration. Does Trump have a lock on the people who do feel that way? Certainly. Do, for instance, the one out of every eight black men who voted for Trump want to see all non-white people exterminated? Doubtful.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Gillibrand is on MSNBC talking about her transformation from a Blue Dog and other stuff. Might be a good idea for those interested in hearing from her to tune in.

Jan 15, 2019
"Oh, just vote for the white supremacist who isn't quite as brazen about it as Trump" is the wildest "stereotypical white liberal dismissal of racism" position I've seen "allies" defend in awhile.
To be clear, I'm leaning toward Kamala at the moment and Ojeda isn't even in my top five.

There's a middle ground between "I don't think this person is a nazi" and "you should vote for this person."

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No feelings about Gillibrand until this interview and Jesus crimeny is she coming off as a disingenuous carpetbagger. This is brutal

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
That, to me, just doesn't fall in line with how people operate. When an elderly person with an AOL account responds to a "Nigerian prince", they don't want to be cheated out of their retirement money, they want what the scammer is promising at face value. People in desperate situations are prone to making bad decisions, this always has been and always will be true.

Trump promised, explicitly, to be a white supremacist. It was a major theme of his campaign. That was the face value reading. By your own argument, the only way in which people got conned is that they wanted Trump to take stuff from people of color and give it to them, and he mostly screwed people of color without helping them.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Also, to be clear, none of the other serious Dem contenders would be appropriate here, since Ojeda is the only candidate who would drive me to leave the Democratic Party. I said in December of 2016 my one true fear is that Dems would respond to Trump by moving to recapture the white supremacist vote and normalize white supremacy. Ojeda is that candidate, in my view.

(I guess Gabbard would also present a real pickle if she got nominated. Not really sure what I would do there given her LGBT stances. I would probably ask people I trust for their views before making a final decision.)

k.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not voting for his ass. Who's saying just vote for him. And how is a third party in this moment an "allied" position?

Are you fucking high? Literally this entire discussion is predicated on you accusing me of being a bernie bro because I said I would vote third party rather than vote for Ojeda for President. How is that not "just vote for him?"

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm using an extreme argument to make a point about the unreasonableness of a general principle. It's pretty simple.

Okay, so we agree that there is a point of candidate loathesomeness at which voting for the Democratic Party would not be justifiable or required, right? I'm arguing that Ojeda is past that point. If you disagree, you should say why.

If both parties nominate Nazis, that seems like the right response. Doesn't it?

Ojeda is trash but voting third party is literally worse. We're not finding common ground on this in 2019 or 2020. I'm sorry but that's where I'm at on the logic.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you fucking high? Literally this entire discussion is predicated on you accusing me of being a bernie bro because I said I would vote third party rather than vote for Ojeda for President. How is that not "just vote for him?"

You're whiffing on the "just" part here. Nobody says it's not going to taste of shit. Just that it's not literally cyanide.

Don't frame my position as Ojeda is good. My position is Ojeda is garbage but third party is suicidal. I don't like it. You hate it. But it's still suicide.

Also you literally handwaved Bernie on this page in a way I haven't with Ojeda.

So UnapologeticallyBLK's characterization of your position is correct, right?

Not even remotely. If it was you could just quote me.

Jan 15, 2019
Trump promised, explicitly, to be a white supremacist. It was a major theme of his campaign. That was the face value reading. By your own argument, the only way in which people got conned is that they wanted Trump to take stuff from people of color and give it to them, and he mostly screwed people of color without helping them.
I mean, you'll have to explain to me how 16% of black men with college degrees and 1/3 of hispanic people voted for him if we live in a world where every person clearly understood Trump to be a white supremacist on the day of the election. I think you are kind of overestimating how attenuated a lot of people are to dog whistles and other such things that us politico types are hyper-aware of.

Again, I am not saying vote for Ojeda. I myself don't even plan to. I'm simply puzzled by the idea that every person who voted for Trump is a witting supporter of white supremacy and can in good faith be described as a nazi without doing some serious retconning on what does and doesn't make a person a nazi in the first place or, at the very least, diluting the word nazi to a point that it loses poignancy.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you'll have to explain to me how 16% of black men with college degrees and 1/3 of hispanic people voted for him if we live in a world where every person clearly understood Trump to be a white supremacist on the day of the election. I think you are kind of overestimating how attenuated a lot of people are to dog whistles and other such things that us politico types are hyper-aware of.
Some of these people are fine with white supremacy. There it is.

Oct 27, 2017
Gillibrand is good about the super pacs and stuff, but her rhetoric about rewarding work and "fearless determination" against the "special interests" needs some refinement. Warren was much more at ease with this.

Jan 15, 2019
Some of these people are fine with white supremacy. There it is.

Some, yes. But Pigeon is making the argument that every single person who voted for Trump including, as I mentioned, a decent chunk of PoC, would like to see every non-white person literally exterminated, unless I have a shaky grasp of what the nazis stood for and did. I think voting for Trump makes you at best stupid, probably racist, and at worst a nazi. I don't think it definitely, unequivocally makes you a nazi unless we've just decided to stop giving a shit about what that specifically means.

Teggy said:
Ojeda wouldn't even win his home state.
Likely true.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
So now we are at

There was collusion

But just the Trump Campaign colluded

And Trump was blissfully unaware

To be fair, Trump usually has been smart enough to keep himself out of trouble regardless of what happens around him, and I am guessing the whole thing was crafted specifically to shield him even when everyone else around him gets caught.

I have no doubt he knows everything, but no records will be there to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.