• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Has he tried looking down the back of the sofa? Because 90% of the time, that's where things are.

More seriously, he's missing key words from the narrative he's trying to push in these tweets. He's like a drunk guy telling a joke or a story, but who gets ahead of himself and then wonders why no-one cares.

Oct 26, 2017
You mean boomers are easily fleeced by lies? *Reads through Reagan's wiki page while sipping tea and ordering a chihuahua size Sinema coat*

I once worked with a guy in his late 60's who got a call about how his computer was infected, believed him, went to a gas station to buy some weird gift cards the guy told him he had to pay with, and paid him with said gift cards. Boomers have way too much time on their hands and have very little social media and technology discipline and much less knowledge of how any of it works.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Was just randomly thinking that this presidency has turned out even worse than I think most people predicted it would.

Good job morons of Murica.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I once worked with a guy in his late 60's who got a call about how his computer was infected, believed him, went to a gas station to buy some weird gift cards the guy told him he had to pay with, and paid him with said gift cards. Boomers have way too much time on their hands and have very little social media and technology discipline and much less knowledge of how any of it works.
Kazuma Kiryu was your coworker?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
300 die every week to drugs I guess
Yep.

Daniel Dale @ddale8

This tweet is missing a key noun: heroin.

He usually says the US loses 300 people a week to heroin, 90% of which comes through the border; accurate as of 2017. Intentionally or accidentally, this tweet lets people think 300 people are being murdered by unauthorized immigrants.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Most of them voted against him. Good job founding fathers but then really subsequent governments for realizing oops but doubling down.
I know he lost the popular vote, but there were still millions and millions who voted for him. Fuck them all. I just wish so much of the population weren't terrible people. World would be a much better place.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know he lost the popular vote, but there were still millions and millions who voted for him. Fuck them all. I just wish so much of the population weren't terrible people. World would be a much better place.
I don't disagree. But as a nation we've tuned politics to be astonishingly unrepresentative of population.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

Daniel Dale @ddale8

He usually says the US loses 300 people a week to heroin, 90% of which comes through the border; accurate as of 2017. Intentionally or accidentally, this tweet lets people think 300 people are being murdered by unauthorized immigrants.

I read it as immigrants were coming in and dying, so it was ruining our live/die ratio.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like, maybe I'm just being a dick, but I feel like people ODing on heroin is a self correcting problem. Is anything of value being lost? In any case, attempts at restricting supply never work, people will just end up paying more to get their fix. Gotta cure the demand.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like, maybe I'm just being a dick, but I feel like people ODing on heroin is a self correcting problem. Is anything of value being lost? In any case, attempts at restricting supply never work, people will just end up paying more to get their fix. Gotta cure the demand.

This is a heartless perspective...

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A lot of heroin users transitioned from opioid prescriptions that they were told were safe. Bad doctors make addicts just as effectively as drug dealers.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Senate will pretty much guarantee that only gets worse as the next 10 years play out.

As demography continues to degrade white supremacy in the South, even the existing 50 states would remain competitive for Dems. Imagine if we had an easy shot on one seat in NC, GA, FL, and TX, along with trading Jones for Gardner, that's 51-49 right there

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, maybe I'm being a dick, but perhaps this forum isn't for you.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

(I'm not aware of a good single explanation but basically, it's a mix of chemical effects of the brain and sociology)

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If only we applied this to all dying people, think how much we would save on Healthcare that we could put towards the Wall.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

ODing on bad posts isn't a self correcting problem so why would heroin be one too?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Not wanting to dogpile, so a different response to others: Philip Seymour Hoffman died of a heroin overdose, and River Phoenix died of a speedball (heroin and cocaine, I believe). So, yeah, even if a generic human life isn't of intrinsic value, fascinating people of value have been lost to drug overdoses. :(

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Our own pharmaceutical industry is responsible for the opiod crisis. I'll always feel sympathy for people taken advantage of by those whose only concern is the pursuit of immoral greed.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of heroin users transitioned from opioid prescriptions that they were told were safe. Bad doctors make addicts just as effectively as drug dealers.

It's not even necessarily "bad" doctors, but we don't let people just handle pain anymore. I guess out of fear of lawsuits or whatever, but sometimes it's better to tell patients to take an ibuprofen instead of giving them hardcore opioids to handle pain. My wife got a huge fucking bottle of above average dose Percocet after she had a tooth taken out. She doesn't have a high pain tolerance but she was fine with ibuprofen and ice packs (her medical anxiety worries her a lot about pills, so she was already hesitant to take those).

She didn't even ask for them. I was like "wow, does it hurt that bad?" when I saw them as part of the prescriptions I picked up for her, and she didn't know that was one of them. That shit is dangerous, but I assume her oral surgeon was covering their ass from either a lawsuit or a bad review or whatever. That needs to be reigned in.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
re: Tarrant Co, TX GOP trying to oust a vice-chair for being Moooooslim

49 voting to oust him is scary af

NEWS: @shafitx will retain his role as vice-chairman of the Tarrant County Republican Party despite a push from a small faction of precinct chairs to remove him from his post because he's Muslim.

Oct 25, 2017
Vixdean's argument is representative of the damage that conservatives have done to this country in how they have framed the narrative around drugs and addiction, mostly for racist and classist purposes. That shit gets parroted by the media and seeps into the general discussion around and understanding of the topic.

It takes time and effort to deprogram oneself from the mainstreaming of right-wing bullshit viewpoints in this country.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Yep.

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Even if he means heroin, he forgets that they can launch heroin with the greatest siege weapon in history that can launch 90kg up to 300 meters.

Or just use a slingshot.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I lost one of my best friends to heroin a couple of years ago. FWIW he was incredibly successful in his career.

I'm not going to reply how I want to reply.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You sound hopelessly ignorant. Educate yourself if there's still time

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory generalizations
Welp, I see this thread is still filled with a bunch of lurkers who only exist to pounce on unpopular opinions with useless invective. Thanks to the couple who actually posted something constructive. Have a good night!

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Vixdean's argument is representative of the damage that conservatives have done to this country in how they have framed the narrative around drugs and addiction, mostly for racist and classist purposes. That shit gets parroted by the media and seeps into the general discussion around and understanding of the topic.

It takes time and effort to deprogram oneself from the mainstreaming of right-wing bullshit viewpoints in this country.
I read that quite differently. I think that poster is talking about white trash opioid addicts that are now all of a sudden getting the epidemic national attention because they are white. Typically voting against their self interests as Rs. That poster, to me, is implying more something like the inbred, fly over country, hicks that keep voting R against themselves, are getting their comeuppance and that it is justified and morally good because of Social Darwinism.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ah yes, it was a subtle parody piece. How clever of them.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I read that quite differently. I think that poster is talking about white trash opioid addicts that are now all of a sudden getting the epidemic national attention because they are white. Typically voting against their self interests as Rs. That poster, to me, is implying more something like the inbred, fly over country, hicks that keep voting R against themselves ate getting their comeuppance and that it is justified and morally good because of Social Darwinism.
It's never been controversial to say, "People all of a sudden want to be compassionate about drug addiction because a lot of the people dying are now white." That's a sad truth.

You can acknowledge the War on Drugs has just been an excuse to persecute people of color, seek to redress that problem through pot legalization and criminal justice reform among other solutions, and think that all drug addicts deserve help. These are not incompatible positions. What he said was pretty heartless.

Status
Not open for further replies.