• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
"Take a vacation from your bills!"

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2019/01/let-them-eat-vacation-days/580126/

This evening on the PBS Newshour, the chair of the White House's Council of Economic Advisors, Kevin Hassett, said this about workers who are going without pay as the government shutdown nears its fourth week:

Right now about 25% of government workers are furloughed. Which means that they are not allowed to go to work.

But then when the shutdown ends, they go back to work, and they get their back pay.

A huge share of government workers were going to take vacation days, say between Christmas and New Year's.

And then we have a shutdown, and so they can't go to work. So then they have the vacation, but they don't have to use their vacation days. And then they come back, and they get their back pay.

Then in some sense they're better off.

And another one:

A Trump appointee urged Department of Labor staff who aren't furloughed to donate to help workers who are. "This is a great opportunity to help fellow colleagues manage their bills, their child care and other everyday needs!"

What must it be like to be so rich and out of touch that you never have to worry about missing a paycheck?

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
You would have thought his racist ass would have had enough sense to lay low for a couple of days and stay out of this but nah.

Nice to add another log on to the pile of evidence that the wall is nothing but a symbol of bigotry though.
No, having capitulated to the MSM he needs to broadcast these dog whistles ASAP to maintain his cred with the racists

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017

This evening on the PBS Newshour, the chair of the White House's Council of Economic Advisors, Kevin Hassett, said this about workers who are going without pay as the government shutdown nears its fourth week:

What must it be like to be so rich and out of touch that you never have to worry about missing a paycheck?

Oh god this is infuriating. It's as fucking bad as thinking health insurance is fifteen dollars a year or some shit.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Today is...really mild

269ec072-a38e-4209-amvdbb.jpeg

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I love how their plan to ensure the President isn't found to have obstructed justice, is to obstruct justice. 'Look if the investigation gets it wrong and says he did the illegal thing, we'll just change it to say he didn't.'

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The entire last election was a referendum against Trump and no Republicans got the message.
Had they also lost the Senate I think the message would have been a lot more clear. I think a lot of them are kind of in denial about the map advantage they had in the Senate races so they feel like 2018 was a wash.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Steve King @SteveKingIA

Mr. President @RealDonaldTrump if the time comes that it is necessary for you declare a state of emergency for border security, build the whole wall out of concrete. Let it stand forever as a monument to the Rule of Law.

Apparently Republicans have forgotten what happens to concrete walls. Maybe Saint Ronald can remind them.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Had they also lost the Senate I think the message would have been a lot more clear. I think a lot of them are kind of in denial about the map advantage they had in the Senate races so they feel like 2018 was a wash.

Even having a 30% chance of losing those seats with that lineup was insane.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And another one:

Let them eat cake.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

To acknowledge the map advantage would mean to start understanding all the structural advantages that make Republicans win in spite of losing raw vote counts, and a lot of Republicans don't want to think about that.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Even having a 30% chance of losing those seats with that lineup was insane.
To acknowledge the map advantage would mean to start understanding all the structural advantages that make Republicans win in spite of losing raw vote counts, and a lot of Republicans don't want to think about that.
I mean Trump was out there bragging about winning the Senate races in Indiana and North Dakota like it was an accomplishment. Winning that FL seat was like a kick in the teeth though, it's possible that had Gillum and Nelson won their races that kind of shift in Trump's strongest purple state may have been enough to scare them.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I hope everyone in the Thread (and on ERA!) has a safe and happy weekend. Just want to get some good thoughts out there before the news cycle gets cranking today, and my anxiety kicks in.

Can you believe we're on page 138 of the OT, and we're 11 days into 2019? Slainte.

Last edited:

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
I hope everyone in the Thread (and on ERA!) a safe and happy weekend. Just want to get some good thoughts out there before the news cycle gets cranking today, and my anxiety kicks in.

Can you believe we're on page 138 of the OT, and we're 11 days into 2019? Slainte.

IMO we should be looking at post counts rather than pages, but I agree with you that this year is already starting off with a lot of bullshit. If I could I would double down on my bet that we would get more total OTs this year than 2018.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
When the Right says "Rule of Law," especially when it's capitalized, they mean "our boots on their necks." They certainly don't mean laws applying equally to everyone.

Not that anyone really needs a translation anymore.
Never a bad time to repost Chris Hayes's op-ed on what "Law & Order" means to Trump.

The president's boundless benefit of the doubt for the Rob Porters and Roy Moores of the world, combined with off-with-their-heads capriciousness for immigrants accused of even minor crimes, is not a contradiction. It is the expression of a consistent worldview that he campaigned on and has pursued in office.

In this view, crime is not defined by a specific offense. Crime is defined by who commits it. If a young black man grabs a white woman by the crotch, he's a thug and deserves to be roughed up by police officers. But if Donald Trump grabs a white woman by the crotch in a nightclub (as he's accused of doing, and denies), it's locker-room high jinks.

[…]

A political movement that rails against "immigrant crime" while defending alleged abusers and child molesters is one that has stopped pretending to have any universalist aspirations. The president's moral framework springs from an American tradition of cultivating fear and contempt among its white citizens against immigrants, indigenous people and people of color, who are placed on the other side of "the law." It's a practice that has taken on new strength at a time when many white people fear they may be outnumbered, outvoted and out of time.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I like how he cannot produce a single shred of evidence of this supposed "invasion of the hordes of brown people definitely coming to your lily white suburb".

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Article in the WP arguing Dems shouldnt try impeachment but consistent censures against Trump. Interesting idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.