• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/4...-movement-has-been-weaponized-against-sanders

Nomiki Konst, a former surrogate for Sen. Bernie Sanders's (I-Vt.) presidential campaign, on Friday said that the "Me Too" movement has been weaponized against the senator in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations against staffers from his 2016 presidential campaign.

"This is an issue on all campaigns. This is not a Bernie Sanders issue," Konst told Hill.TV's Krystal Ball and Buck Sexton on "Rising."

"I think, unfortunately, the 'Me Too' movement has been used as a political weapon in this case," she continued. "It has to be dealt with no matter what, but it is not something that feeds into this old Bernie bro narrative."

Classy

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
xAFw1it.jpg

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Almost all of the Dems quoted in that AOC article are replacement level people. In fact, Yvette Clarke and Carolyn Maloney should be primaried!

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Just pull a Sirota and dishonestly conflate individual donations with receiving money from corporations.

I feel like this shit is a favorite tactic for these assholes.

I work at a law firm; would I big considered Big Law if I donated?

Yassssssssssssssssssssss werk it Ned
I just want to take a moment to remind everyone once again that Al Gore picked that dude to be his running mate in 2000. That is all!
And McCain considered him as well before Palin was forced on him.
"Take a vacation from your bills!"

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2019/01/let-them-eat-vacation-days/580126/

This evening on the PBS Newshour, the chair of the White House's Council of Economic Advisors, Kevin Hassett, said this about workers who are going without pay as the government shutdown nears its fourth week:

And another one:

What must it be like to be so rich and out of touch that you never have to worry about missing a paycheck?

Aren't the ones who aren't furloughed working without pay?

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
You know ever since that video started making the rounds I wondered if that's what the explanation was. A lot of folks don't know how notorious Fred was before his even worse son took his place.
Suddenly I want to read a Fred Trump biography. Robert Caro's not busy, is he?

Michael D'Antonio has a fascinating piece that touches on the Fred Trump veteran's housing scandal:

As the man who controlled the FHA's New York office, Powell controlled the flow of money for Beach Haven, a big apartment complex Fred Trump built with FHA loans. He allowed Trump to start building before Beach Haven was actually approved and start renting to vets and others six months before he had to start repaying his loan.

In that time Trump pocketed $1.7 million in rent payments. Trump was also allowed to pocket most of a fee—5 percent of the Beach Haven development's cost—that was earmarked for architectural work. Trump was also permitted to borrow more in federally subsidized funds—$3.7 million, to be precise—than he actually needed.

Eisenhower truly loved the fighting men he'd led to victory in World War II. When he learned of the manipulations practiced by developers to increase their profits he called them "sons of bitches." After his investigation McKenna reported that Trump ranked near the top among builders who shared in excess payments approved by the FHA officials who were almost certainly on the take.
[Fred Trump] explained, for example, that the land under his Beach Haven development was held by a trust devoted to his children. The buildings, however, were owned by half a dozen corporations. Every year these six entities paid rent to the trust—really his children—for the use of the land. Under the terms of the lease the Trump kids might receive $60,000 or more in pure profits every year for 98 more years. Then lease could be renewed for another 99 years.

With similar candor Trump explained how he had paid himself the general contractor's fee that had been included in the estimate he submitted to the FHA, and how he fattened his own wallet by having one of his corporations do business with another of his. To the senators this was the equivalent of a man mowing his own lawn and then insisting he should be paid for the chore. Trump insisted that he was more like the tailor who pays a low-wage assistant to sew a custom suit, then charges his customer full price. If the quality is the same, thanks to the tailor's supervision, why shouldn't he get the money?

Source: Ike Didn't Like Trump's Dad At All

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Like I said before about this, if the Senate races are as polarized as they were in 2016 (first election where no state elected a senator from a different party than who they voted for as president), we could actually do pretty well for ourselves.

You're trading Alabama for Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Maine, and North Carolina for a 52-48 majority. Not only that but PPP polled that same set of states along with Alaska, where they also found Trump underwater. I don't know if we could actually win Alaska at the presidential level, but there's enough uniqueness to the state's politics that we should make a serious run at the Senate race.

Add Kansas, Montana and Texas to that (where his approval ratings are not great) and you got yourself a stew. Just imagine coming out of 2020 with 55 Senate seats, especially if Manchin runs for governor and replaces himself with someone who can afford to be more progressive (like Carte Goodwin or someone). Abolish the filibuster, add DC and PR as states, win WI/PA in 2022...

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Avenatti has been totally extra salty since Beto streamed his teeth cleaning.

Edit: also would not be surprised if Avenatti decided not to run because of Beto's rising stardom at the time

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Suddenly I want to read a Fred Trump biography. Robert Caro's not busy, is he?

Michael D'Antonio has a fascinating piece that touches on the Fred Trump veteran's housing scandal:

Source: Ike Didn't Like Trump's Dad At All
People never talk about it but it's noteworthy that the Trumps are a large family (Fred Trump alone had 5 kids including Donald) and you never hear anything out of the rest of the family who clearly want nothing to do with Donald's clan (or klan may be more appropriate). Usually when someone becomes president their extended family is coming out of the woodwork but not Donny's!

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
People never talk about it but it's noteworthy that the Trumps are a large family (Fred Trump alone had 5 kids including Donald) and you never hear anything out of the rest of the family who clearly want nothing to do with Donald's clan (or klan may be more appropriate). Usually when someone becomes president their extended family is coming out of the woodwork but not Donny's!
That's true. The only things I know about them are his sister the federal judge, the sad story around Fred Jr., and the way Donald screwed his siblings out of their inheritances.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said before about this, if the Senate races are as polarized as they were in 2016 (first election where no state elected a senator from a different party than who they voted for as president), we could actually do pretty well for ourselves.

You're trading Alabama for Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Maine, and North Carolina for a 52-48 majority. Not only that but PPP polled that same set of states along with Alaska, where they also found Trump underwater. I don't know if we could actually win Alaska at the presidential level, but there's enough uniqueness to the state's politics that we should make a serious run at the Senate race.

Add Kansas, Montana and Texas to that (where his approval ratings are not great) and you got yourself a stew. Just imagine coming out of 2020 with 55 Senate seats, especially if Manchin runs for governor and replaces himself with someone who can afford to be more progressive (like Carte Goodwin or someone). Abolish the filibuster, add DC and PR as states, win WI/PA in 2022...

We probably don't win GA or NC, or KS, MT, or TX. And we probably won't ever make PR and DC states even if we had the numbers to. It's a nice picture you paint though.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Frank Thorp V @frankthorp

Sen Murkowski joins Dems on the Senate floor calling on the govt to be re-opened during border wall funding negotiations: "Count me in as one of those who wants to address these issues, but also count me in as one who says that shutting down the government is not governing."

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

Sen Murkowski joins Dems on the Senate floor calling on the govt to be re-opened during border wall funding negotiations: "Count me in as one of those who wants to address these issues, but also count me in as one who says that shutting down the government is not governing."

LOL her office must be getting destroyed by calls from constituents.

Edit:

OuP7YY7.png

thefit

Oct 25, 2017

Not governing is what her party is best at wtf is she talking about?

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Fred sounds like he hung around wise guys too...

So much commentary now on the "national emergency" power...."If Trump uses it, then it might set a precedent for a Democratic president to use it for healthcare or climate change, things Republicans don't like".

I guess those disingenuous one-on-one CNN-style "debates" can be obsoleted when the reporters can just do them for you.

Theyre talking to that 25-30% crowd that wants a weakman caudillo with this.

Oof thats the kiss of death right there.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
We probably don't win GA or NC, or KS, MT, or TX. And we probably won't ever make PR and DC states even if we had the numbers to. It's a nice picture you paint though.
I'm not convinced on the "make Guam/American Samoa/Northern Mariana/Virgin Islands states" strategy's likelihood, but PR/DC are absolutely happening the next time Democrats have full control of Congress and the presidency. Or at the very least, there will be a strong, good faith effort to do it.

NC Senate 2020 is no worse than a tossup. Hell I'd say Georgia is too with Abrams running. She and Jeff Jackson (NC) will be our downticket rock star candidates next cycle.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wonder if the turtle will have and have a vote.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
A core group of the hard-line House Freedom Caucus is urging President Donald Trump against the explosive step of declaring a national emergency to build his wall.

Multiple Republicans in the conservative group have privately raised their concerns with the Trump administration, fearing it would lead to a years-long legal standoff that Democrats could win while setting a dangerous precedent for the presidency, according to more than a dozen lawmakers and GOP aides. They want Trump to hold out for a deal with Democrats, regardless of how long the partial government shutdown drags on.

Trump's possible pursuit of an emergency declaration on the border divided the caucus during an animated meeting Wednesday night, according to lawmakers who attended the meeting. Members wrestled with constitutional concerns. GOP Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan was reportedly particularly outspoken. Searching for an alternative, the group kicked around other, more legally sound ways for Trump to raise revenue for the wall.

"[Trump] has more options on the table than what I have read about," said Rep. Warren Davidson (R-Ohio), who has sponsored a bill allowing private citizens to make contributions toward building and maintaining border walls. "We shared some of those ideas."

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/11/freedom-caucus-border-emergency-trump-1096929

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not convinced on the "make Guam/American Samoa/Northern Mariana/Virgin Islands states" strategy's likelihood, but PR/DC are absolutely happening the next time Democrats have full control of Congress and the presidency. Or at the very least, there will be a strong, good faith effort to do it.

NC Senate 2020 is no worse than a tossup. Hell I'd say Georgia is too with Abrams running. She and Jeff Jackson (NC) will be our downticket rock star candidates next cycle.
What dem in the senate would vote agianst them?

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Amicus doing an overview on the shutdown and as an aside it goes into RBG and what likely solidified her staying in the seat. tldr: Sandra Day O'Conner being forced off the bench before her time because Rehnquist, basically dying on the bench, decided to stay on and she was basically being traded out in his stead. No one saying a word against him despite being on the throes of death with cancer was this wild affront to what she stood for and likely fuels her intent now.

If you're not aware of the story, here you go.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=2816090&page=1

Earlier in the term she had met with Rehnquist, who had become increasingly frail. She had confided in him that because her devoted husband was suffering from Alzheimer's disease, she wouldn't be able to stay on the court indefinitely.

Although O'Connor thought Rehnquist might retire at the end of the term, at the meeting it was clear that he hadn't looked that far ahead into his own future. Ever worried about the court as an institution, he told her, "We don't need two vacancies." He advised her that they should wait.

"Let's talk later," he said.

By June, with only weeks left in the term, O'Connor went to visit her old friend again. Even though he had been coming to the court every day, she, like the other justices, still believed he would be retiring soon. She'd begun to think she would spend one more year on the court before retiring herself.

She knew that Rehnquist believed emphatically that the court shouldn't have two retirements at the same time. She guessed that he would imminently announce his retirement, allowing her to stay one more year.

She guessed wrong.

He stunned her by telling her: "I want to stay another year."

Lot more in the story

Status
Not open for further replies.