• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Heh, heard a nice argument today: Trump is trying to turn the US into a gated community. Wall to the south, oceans either side, friendly neighbors to the north. "Seasonal/legal Immigrants" can come in and do the dirty work, but then they have to go home.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
They'd argue they're helping them by dissuading them from even trying to come here. Obviously that doesn't help them escape the situation they're fleeing, though.
Right.

Plus, one of the reasons for the *small* increase in illegal border crossings is the bottlenecks we've had at the legal points of entry. I'd wager most of the people who make the trip do so intending to enter the country legally whether they ultimately do or not.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
DeSantis also rescinded a bunch of midnight nominations that Rick Scott tried to force through. (The Florida legislature begins its sessions very soon after an election and has virtually no lame duck; one of the few political things they do right.)

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible he's not actually a real Trumper? I'm doubtful, but it would be hilarious.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta post this pic because it's adorable. She hates that I got her a coat.

c0mE1Hq.jpg

"Why do you do this to me, hooman? I'm not upset, just disappoint."

Oct 26, 2017

Ronna McDaniel @GOPChairwoman

Chuck & Nancy need to stop their political games & address the border crisis:

*1 in 3 migrant women are sexually assaulted on the journey northward

*50 illegal migrants a day are referred for emergency medical care

*CBP rescues 4,300 people a year who are in danger & distress

Greg Sargent @ThePlumLineGS

The WH is now forced to pretend they care about the humanitarian side because they're losing the public, which despite three months of propaganda demonizing the migrants as criminals and terrorists, properly understands this as a humanitarian crisis.
Susan Hennessey @Susan_Hennessey​
Setting aside the absolute gall required to pretend to be denying asylum-seekers right to claim asylum out of concern for their safety, there is no evidence that suggests Trump's ridiculous wall would alleviate any of these issues. https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1083801216579194880 …​

Oh my word well hurry up and fund the government then so we can process these people and get them the help they need! Thanks for making our point?

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
DeSantis also rescinded a bunch of midnight nominations that Rick Scott tried to force through. (The Florida legislature begins its sessions very soon after an election and has virtually no lame duck; one of the few political things they do right.)

Wow, did we end up accidentally electing an actual moderate republican?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering why i got that text yesterday from one of countless democratic coalitions or whatever in Florida super excited about a recent Governor move. Color me surprised. I mean, it makes sense. We are red but we have almost equal democrats. Part of Florida's money maker is tourism and shit.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AOC can't run. But I sort of have a feeling she'll endorse someone right away and then tour the country campaigning with them so it'll sort of be like she is running. I don't see her holding back and dancing around like Obama (or warren; which tbh was a bad move on her part)

Also it'll probably be Bernie
Candidates are gonna fight HARD to get her endorsement. I think she knows the longer she holds out, the more they'll try campaigning on increasingly progressive platforms to get it.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, did we end up accidentally electing an actual moderate republican?
I mean, probably not, but I always did think this ad

was just a little too insane to be completely earnest, even in the age of the MAGA cult.

A Trump rubber duckie?

Seems like one of those things that only dumb mouthbreathers in the primary would take seriously... which was probably the point.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see how things go once he takes office, but I've been very impressed with Pritzker's appointments thus far. Predictably social conservatives are absolutely losing it because he's appointed more women than men thus far and *gasp* of the eight appointments he made yesterday, none was a white man.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that DeSantis also picked a never-Trump state senator from a Hillary district as his lieutenant governor.

Oct 26, 2017
I move to the floor.

We fund a "Wall" for 20 billion USD along the southern border.

A "Wall" of Wind turbines. From COAST to COAST, lit with the RED WHITE and BLUE, as BEACONS OF HOPE.

2000 MILES OF WIND POWER RAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

------

I legit think someone can twist the wall into this and trump would support it.

--------

I know we could all use some entertaining relief from this administration, but surely you've read in this thread how the shutdown is affecting our own members. Let's not place bets on how long our own members will be without pay, we know it's already going to break the all-time record. Thanks!

ya, =(.

Gotta find something to help brighten the mood. Maybe era can pitch in to assist if people need help?

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017

Has he explained why he did this? Is he just replacing them with guys more loyal to him, or is he playing it as a "regular order" issue?

I just can't wrap my head around DeSantis being a moderate darling. DeSantis!

Oct 25, 2017
Business in general and its priorities are undergoing a shift; corporations can make money from environmental policies that push green technology, and they will lose money if their land and resources are underwater. Republican governors will gladly sign positive environmental reforms into law if those reforms align with their donors' business interests.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC Unions not wanting to lose leverage has been an awkward behind-the-scenes issue for a long time and was a big sticking point in the 60s/70s. (less so today w/ the ACA and future legislation, at least nationally) It's not just about single-payer, it's been about them just not wanting to lose leverage, since a higher baseline improves the attractiveness of being in a union relative to not being in one.

edit: Yglesias elaborates on the problem (correctly)

Has he explained why he did this? Is he just replacing them with guys more loyal to him, or is he playing it as a "regular order" issue?

I just can't wrap my head around DeSantis being a moderate darling. DeSantis!
This would be the opposite of a "moderate darling", this is pretending to be a hyper-conservative and then being an actual moderate.

A Nixon-type (racist social democrat) is still bad, but still better than the alternative.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
There was some speculation DeSantis and Scott are beefing because they're both eyeing to run in 2024.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I move to the floor.

We fund a "Wall" for 20 billion USD along the southern border.

A "Wall" of Wind turbines. From COAST to COAST, lit with the RED WHITE and BLUE, as BEACONS OF HOPE.

2000 MILES OF WIND POWER RAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

------

I legit think someone can twist the wall into this and trump would support it.

Trump would never support it. He'd probably feign more concern for the birds than he does for the immigrants.

You can blow up a pipeline, you can blow up the windmills. You know, the wind wheels, [mimics windmill noise, mimes shooting gun] "Bing!" That's the end of that one. If the birds don't kill it first. The birds could kill it first. They kill so many birds. You look underneath some of those windmills, it's like a killing field, the birds. But uh, you know, that's what they were going to, they were going to windmills. And you know, don't worry about wind, when the wind doesn't blow, I said, "What happens when the wind doesn't blow?" Well, then we have a problem. Okay good. They were putting him in areas where they didn't have much wind, too. And it's a subsidary [sic] — you need subsidy for windmills. You need subsidy. Who wants to have energy where you need subsidy? So, uh, the coal is doing great.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
This is going be part of the story about why primarying a conservative Dem in Texas's 25th is going to be incredibly hard relative to a guy like Lipinski, who we can probably get knocked out over in Chicago eventually- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas's_28th_congressional_district

It's a D+9 district, but the social conservatism, Cuellar being in politics since 1987, and the majority-minority district are all intertwined here.
Something can be hard, and I don't anyone is saying there's an ease of primarying someone, and doing something that probably should've been done years ago — this is still the first Justice Dem move I've ever fulheartedly supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.