• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Mueller add a clarification to the buzzfeed denial? I've heard three people this morning infer the whole Buzzfeed story was "dismissed" and holistically refuted.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I was thinking that it's a city with a large black population, lots of black representation in local government (including the mayor), it's south-adjacent, and has a large pool of political aides/staff.

Exactly. And really, this should be obvious.

People are really going to miss the forest for the trees on Kamala's popularity if they can't see past her "being a cop."

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Republicans are trying so hard to push this shutdown as "both sides," and the media is so complicit in helping them do so.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Because no one wanted us to negotiate with an egotistical despot who routinely murders and imprisons its citizens, you useless nitwit.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans are trying so hard to push this shutdown as "both sides," and the media is so complicit in helping them do so.
Seriously. The majority of people not wanting a compromise with Republicans and shifting all the blame on them is in spite of the media. Thank God for social media in this case.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
If SDNY has the proof (and based on BuzzFeed's persistence it is hard to believe they don't), why doesn't Mueller?
I mean, I can give you a crazy theory: So if Whitaker comes snooping around the SCO he can't find it.

Of course, I imagine Whitaker can see what SDNY has any time he wants too, so I doubt this theory holds water.

Jan 15, 2019
Exactly. And really, this should be obvious.

People are really going to miss the forest for the trees on Kamala's popularity if they can't see past her "being a cop."

I think they're missing the forest for the trees if they think the democratic electorate contains a meaningful amount of people who really care where a candidate's Headquarters are as long as it's not in Trump Tower.

Like, the average voter does not even recognize many of these candidates' names at this point but we expect them to tie Kamala's history as an attorney general to some vague association between Baltimore and corrupt law enforcement? Yeah, no.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Aaron Sorkin: Dems are not just about transgender bathrooms, we also haven't forgotten the economic anxiety of the middle class

get these people the fuck out of here, jesus

Oct 25, 2017

Unredacted text in a new Mueller court filing suggest that in Feb. 2018 — months after he was first charged — Manafort still appears to have been working on a peace initiative for Ukraine. And may have been doing so in concert with Konstantin Kilimnik.

In concert with Konstantin Kilimnik sure rolls off the tongue.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Remember the time when we thought Zuck and Oprah would both run for President?

That was a hilarious time.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Yesterday I stumbled about this quote by one of the Russian Orthodox Churches spokespersons:
multi-confessionality, multiparty systems, separation of powers, competition, administrative conflicts—all that the present political system takes such pride in—are symptoms of spiritual unhealthiness. The very existence of a pluralistic democracy is none other than a direct result of sin

In combination with a quote of Moscow Patriarch Kirill:
the fundamental contradiction of our epoch...is the opposition of liberal civilised standards on the one hand, and the values of national, cultural and religious identity on the other

The Russian orthodox church has formed a very warm relationship with the Kremlin over the past 20 years (coming from complete suppression of the church and basically state sanctioned atheism in the soviet union, thats quite a feat).

What happened is that Putin recognized the church as a useful tool. Not only can it give legitimacy to the political elite, but its nationalist and "identitarian" message is also clearly anti-western. It basically refutes the notion that "all men are created equal" and instead puts interests of national, cultural and religious identity above individualist rights.

This sounds rather extremist, but I'd say that the American religious right shows the very same ideological tendencies in their arguments and actions.

Putin is exploiting that hard. He is trying to push this alternative world view, thats ideological deeply anti-western, and sells it to people in the US and Europe as different forms of nationalism and/or a cultural/religious fight for survival. (against, individualism, pluralism, secularism etc.)
This way nobody notices that whats actually under attack here is the western value system of the past 80 years, and instead everyone thinks they, as in their national/cultural/religious identity, are under attack.

I think during all this trouble its important to keep in mind why Russia is involving itself in international politics again and what their goals are.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This whole thread is great.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1087097440182943744

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1087100176857214977

Let's dig into "gravitas," bc it's an ambiguous word, selectively applied. Ever wonder how expression that's feminine, working-class, queer, or poc isn't deemed as having "gravitas," but talking like an Aaron Sorkin character does? Men have "gravitas," women get "likeable."

This has deeper consequences, bc as we've seen w/ narratives advanced by the right, they have trouble recognizing intelligence in people they disagree with. This is what bias looks like: for some ppl, small mistakes mean they're not "serious," yet others are forgiven for worse.

If you notice, on the right they'll flatly call people blanket terms, and even make things up. And I don't mean trolls - I mean their biggest commentators + TV figures. This is different from criticizing a specific take you disagree with, or pointing out discriminatory patterns.

Just look at the marginal tax rate discussion. The right's biggest strategy against my marginal tax rate proposal isn't to argue against it - it's to lie about it, and imply that it's a tax on all income, bc that helps their characterization of me as a "crazy/dumb" Latina woman.

This stuff infects some Democrats, too. Because in our overall discourse, nonviolent protest somehow gets deemed as not "civil," yet stripping women's rights or incarcerating children on the border doesn't receive the same characterization. What's up with that?

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LMAO.
I never liked him as a writer so this is all just amusing to me.

Because the old people have done a great job thus far, amirite?

Young people get shit done because they have a future to look out for. Old people tow the line and you have to practically push them to even dip a toe into being progressive. Sorkin can write a great monologue in The Newsroom as some wish fulfillment of the left but that's just pointing shit out, not actually doing anything about it even in that show's universe.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I do think one of the most bizarre narratives I've seen about this community was that we all supposedly worship at the altar of Aaron Sorkin.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I do think one of the most bizarre narratives I've seen about this community was that we all supposedly worship at the altar of Aaron Sorkin.
Remember the guy who said we kept posting Sally Allbright (I think that's what her name was) tweets? And no one could find any mention of her even going back to look at GAF?

Jake Tapper is such garbage.

I'm already seeing this bullshit narrative being pushed on Facebook. Fuck offffffffffffffffffffffff

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Remember the guy who said we kept posting Sally Allbright (I think that's what her name was) tweets? And no one could find any mention of her even going back to look at GAF?

I'm already seeing this bullshit narrative being pushed on Facebook. Fuck offffffffffffffffffffffff
I was thinking of that as I made that post but couldn't remember who the person was that we were constantly posting tweets from.

Aug 1, 2018
I've been trying to turn a new leaf in 2019 and not focus so much on my disdain for the American media... but Jesus, they make it so hard...

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
The media just fails us all the time.
Actually in this case I do feel like I didn't get much of the story just from watching the media talk about this MAGA hat kid. I had no idea what context any of this took place in, the media failing might be going to the smallest scope possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.