• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Brown's seat would be the most vulnerable of any D seeking WH.
- If Gillibrand/Booker/Harris win, Dem gov picks senator
- If Warren/Sanders win, GOP gov sets quick special election
- If Brown wins, GOP gov appoints senator who won't face voters til 2022

Something to remember on top of the issues I suppose.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Something to remember on top of the issues I suppose.

Mass Dems could also quickly override the governor and change the rules to prevent an R appointment, either by leaving the seat vacant until a special election or forcing him to pick from the same party or something. They could probably even give themselves that power.

They've done this like three times in the last two decades.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Brown even announcing he's running would show his ass.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Trump will just do a televised address with Pence and Mitch, right?

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Cheeto really cares about the SOTU given that Pelosi is now speaker

He can always gives interviews if he wants to persuade the public (and fail miserably)

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I've been looking at the different potential presidential candidates, and does anyone else feel like Trump will have absolutely no idea how to handle Kamala Harris?

People keep bringing up her record as a prosecutor and the increase in convictions, but if she gets through the primary, how in the world does Trump attack her with that talking point that republicans actually agree with?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking at the different potential presidential candidates, and does anyone else feel like Trump will have absolutely no idea how to handle Kamala Harris?

People keep bringing up her record as a prosecutor and the increase in convictions, but if she gets through the primary, how in the world does Trump attack her with that talking point that republicans actually agree with?

"She's a black woman!"
Republicans: "He's right!"

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017

They'll say she was weak on crime, anti police, and didnt lock up people enough

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They attack it anyway in bad faith.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Well here's another no brainer...
THE WHITE HOUSE JUST REALIZED THE SHUTDOWN IS HURTING THE ECONOMY
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/01/white-house-just-realized-shutdown-is-hurting-the-economy

From the people who brought you "who knew a shutdown would shut down the government?" comes this revelation, roughly 26 days too late.

As some of you may recall, because it happened just five days ago, White House economic guru Kevin Hassett claimed last week on PBS NewsHour that the government shutdown isn't a big deal, and in fact is arguably a good thing because hundreds of thousands of furloughed workers are basically getting a free vacation. "In some sense, they're better off," the Council of Economic Advisers chairman said out loud, in response to the question "Is the government shutdown going to have a negative impact on the economy, particularly if it drags on?" But just five days later—and some 26 days into the shutdown—the White House has apparently come to a new conclusion: this whole government-closure business might have a pretty terrible impact on the economy!

The partial government shutdown is inflicting far greater damage on the United States economy than previously estimated, the White House acknowledged on Tuesday, as President Trump's economists doubled projections of how much economic growth is being lost each week the standoff with Democrats continues. The revised estimates from the Council of Economic Advisers show that the shutdown, now in its fourth week, is beginning to have real economic consequences. The analysis, and other projections from outside the White House, suggests that the shutdown has already weighed significantly on growth and could ultimately push the United States economy into a contraction.

Hassett, who, as a reminder, suggested five days ago that furloughed workers should be thanking Trump for the free time off, said on Tuesday that one of his furloughed staffers has started driving for Uber to make ends meet, and that the shutdown could permanently hurt economic growth expectations even after the government reopens—whenever that may be!

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
I would think the way to break rocks on this is to drive a wedge between McConnell and Trump. One way to do that is to make sure that Trump knows that everyone else thinks McConnell is in charge and the leader of the party.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even on a purely political and optics level this is a dumb play by the WH. Because now next year someone like Abigail Spanberger could go to voters and say, I defied Nancy Pelosi to work across the aisle and negotiate with the president on x,y,z.
It's not defiance. These people are on the problem solvers caucus so their whole mission is to try to find ways to get Republicans and Democrats to work together and do deals. I don't think they've ever had any success.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

By lying, as per usual.

It's not defiance. These people are on the problem solvers caucus so their whole mission is to try to find ways to get Republicans and Democrats to work together and do deals. I don't think they've ever had any success.
I'm not saying they're actually defying anybody, just the optics of it. Trump thinks he's peeling off Dems elected in districts that went for him when all he's doing is giving them credibility to argue to their voters that they tried to do what Nancy Pelosi wouldn't. For Never Nancy Dems who had to campaign against Pelosi as part of their wins, that's a helpful advantage.

Oct 25, 2017

They'll call her anti police

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru

Good point actually. Republicans dont give a shit about not prosecuting monsters, they are the monsters

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of this SOTU thing is that it forces team Trump to improvise and flail their way out of a surprise political crisis, and it's always amusing to watch them try and fail.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone who responded about how Trump will respond to Harris is right, but the question is: How does that appeal to the independents whose votes he desperately needs to win?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who responded about how Trump will respond to Harris is right, but the question is: How does that appeal to the independents whose votes he desperately needs to win?
I think if he just attacks her the same was a liberal leaning person attacks her, he just loses her votes. He can say she does shit that his base actually agrees with all. he wants, they'll still vote for him instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.