• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Being curious about who Laura Loomer is I found a quick primer youtube video on her, quite obnoxious that Loomer, but thankfully one of the suggested links afterwards was much better. A PBS video on space travel, awesome.

That Rasmussen drop, wow

There's no way out.

He could buy all the politicians a Happy Meal from McDonalds.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
There's more to this specific vote on sanctions then "THE ENTIRE GOP ARE RUSSIAN AGENTS." There are really valuable corporate interests involved they don't necessarily involve being treasonous.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
That Rasmussen drop, wow

There's no way out.
Trump has basically two options here:

- keep the government shut down indefinitely, because there's no way Pelosi caves on the wall. This would derail the economy so badly his (and the party's) approval ratings would drop catastrophically. He enjoys a stable 40% or so from his "base" because many of them haven't suffered under his policies, you wreck their finances and that changes pretty damn fast.

- Cave like a bitch and ruin things for no reason. Still keeps that 40% but hardens everyone else against him.

Oct 25, 2017
An excellent visual example of the changing modern economy over the past 70 years:

Not shocking. Richard Florida, for example, has been talking about this for awhile now. I love using "Where the Brains Are" in class as a way to talk about economic and educational sorting, and these maps from 1970 and 2000 respectively that show the dispersal of college graduates are another great way to look at this topic:

1970.gif

2000.gif

That's a pretty famous article, so apologies because I know that many of you have read it before, but it's certainly a compact argument for how badly brain drain has impacted rural and small-town America.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see that Russia/sanctions vote going over well with the general public in November 2020.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
WTF, are Republicans at the point where they just accept they are controlled by Russia and will require their help in upcoming elections?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Perhaps I'm reading into things, but if they're willing to stand with him on this, I don't see a veto proof majority defecting on the shutdown for a long while
They don't need a veto proof one. He would never veto it. Just needs enough to break his talking points of "Republicans are united" and show to the the average person that a strong bipartisan majority is for opening govt, and he's the obstacle. Same with McCoonel.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Cracks are beginning to appear all over the place. I don't see the shutdown lasting past the first week of Feb at this point.

If the GOP/Trump were slowly gaining ground in the messaging war, then maybe this could keep going on for months. But it's the opposite, the GOP are on a ship that's slowly sinking. The Trump Admin has been trying to plug all the holes to stay afloat, but they're running out of fingers. A combination of deteriorating poll numbers, TSA workers beginning to leave in mass, and rising bad publicity from local news channels, I think we're entering the final 2-3 weeks. Pelosi's gambit just further solidifies that Trump is fighting from a position of weakness.

I agree, only I think it'll be back up sooner than that.

The economy is pretty much the only advantage Trump has going into 2020 along with his incumbency. If the shutdown goes on for much longer and the economy goes down the plughole it's going to severely damage that advantage. At some point or another Republicans are going to realize that and open it up again to save their own jobs.

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
If just three more Republicans hadn't been traitorous unAmerican fuckwits, this would have been taken care of.

But no. The government's been shut down for a month and these assholes want to give more money to Russia.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can someone carefully explain to me how republicans can get away with the shadiness of voting to lift those sanctions and their reasoning for doing so

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shook. IDK why I expected Republicans would not stoop this low, but here we are. I expect people to start leaking even more damaging Deripaska stuff in the next few days.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't that mean it was the same Republicans as yesterday, which means both Lisa and Mittens voted against the resolution?

Moderate darlings!

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
WTF, are Republicans at the point where they just accept they are controlled by Russia and will require their help in upcoming elections?
They're either compromised themselves (see NRA), or they think risking civil war is worse than letting Russia fuck with our election (because even if they're not directly compromised, they benefit by being in the party putin supports)

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Their base won't punish them for it because they don't care about anything other than white supremacy and owning the libs
Also "liberal" media doesn't care and is afraid of pushing the issue or calling a Spaid a spaid because they don't want to seem partisan or something

It's basically like "oh hmm, this is odd.. what do you think Rudy Giuliani?"

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone carefully explain to me how republicans can get away with the shadiness of voting to lift those sanctions and their reasoning for doing so

Here's Mnuchin's reason, via Bloomberg.

His plan would keep intact earlier U.S. sanctions against Deripaska himself, but the Treasury Department decided to remove financial restrictions on the three companies following an agreement to significantly reduce the oligarch's ownership stake. Aluminum producer Rusal is among the largest companies the U.S. has ever put on its sanctions designation list, and the action caused its shares to plummet.
Mnuchin has said that Deripaska, not the companies, was the intended target of U.S. sanctions imposed in April on associates of Putin over Moscow's interference in the election. Under Deripaska's agreement with Treasury to remove sanctions from the three companies, the oligarch would cut his ownership shares to about 45 percent of each company, the boards of En+ and Rusal would be overhauled, and they would submit to Treasury audits.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly are people trashing Beto for now? As someone fairly clued into politics, I think I've missed like half of these Beto scandals from the last few weeks.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
The filibuster is definitely living on borrowed time. The next time any party has a majority in the house/senate plus the presidency but not 60 votes and has a major piece of legislation they want to pass, it will be gone.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

the day of this dinner, July 7, 2017, the New York Times contacted the White House for comment on a story they were about to break—that Donald Trump, Jr., Jared Kushner, and Paul Manafort had a secret meeting at Trump Tower in June 2016 with Russian lawyer Natalia V. Veselnitskaya

That call from the New York Times must've set off some panic because Donald Trump's behavior started to get incredibly suspicious on July 7, 2017:

• He confiscated the interpreter's notes and instructed her not to brief anyone on the discussions with Putin and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov
  • He desperately sought Putin's attention at the formal dinner, gesturing "You, me, together"
  • He sought a private conversation with Putin, did not inform any of his own White House staff or national security advisers of the meeting
The following day, July 8, 2017, just before the New York Times published the story, Donald Trump personally dictated a statement as cover for Donald Trump, Jr.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...h-significant-new-context?utm_campaign=recent

Status
Not open for further replies.