• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
Time for Warren to come out to Enter Sandman.

We missed our chance.

k6ye67t0mfj11.png

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
This is a question for lawyers but can you subpoena anyone you want for a trial or impeachment, regardless of involvement in the case?

Asking because if I'm Hunter Biden, I obviously fight the subpoena on the grounds that I have no involvement in the foreign aid or Ukrainian diplomacy.
The Senate sets the rules of the trial at the beginning, so they could decide that no witnesses will be allowed. The question of witnesses was tabled at the beginning of Clinton's trial and only came up again a few weeks later when the House tried to call a witness. The Senate deliberated in secret on the question and eventually voted along party lines to allow the witness.

I don't know what would happen if the Senate agreed to call Hunter as a witness and he resisted. It's a good question. I think we're going to see a lot of untested things in this upcoming trial.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There's another school shooting today, this time California. What happened to Trump's calls for stricter gun laws? Oh right, nothing.

>

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

Just now on the Senate floor: Chris Murphy (D-CT) called for bringing up the universal gun background checks bill passed by the House; Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-MS) objected on behalf of Republicans, blocking consideration.​

11:24 AM - Nov 14, 2019

Oliver Willis @owillis

At almost the exact moment news breaks of a school shooting in California, Sen. @ChrisMurphyCT made a Senate motion to consider the gun background check bill for a vote. The motion was blocked by Sen. @CindyHydeSmith (R-MS).

11:37 AM - Nov 14, 2019

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The Senate has to be the worst branch of government by far. One Senator being able to run interference on important legislation is some insane bull shit.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Yovanovic tomorrow is probably going to be more "flashy" and exciting. The shit she's going to talk about Giuliani and his smear campaign against her will be fun.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg reportedly skipping the first states. Is his all just a threat to the dem party that he will run as independent in general? You ain't gunna win if you don't participate in the first states..........and his chances were 0 to begin with........ so WTH is he doing.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

This is a response to Warren's new ad, which touts her wealth tax and singles out billionaires Lloyd Blankfein, Leon Cooperman, Joe Ricketts and Peter Thiel. https://youtu.be/mN0a_ZhYjac https://twitter.com/lloydblankfein/status/1195020090108006405 …

12:02 PM - Nov 14, 2019

Lloyd Blankfein @lloydblankfein

Surprised to be featured in Sen Warren's campaign ad, given the many severe critics she has out there. Not my candidate, but we align on many issues. Vilification of people as a member of a group may be good for her campaign, not the country. Maybe tribalism is just in her DNA.

11:46 AM - Nov 14, 2019

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bloomberg reportedly skipping the first states. Is his all just a threat to the dem party that he will run as independent in general? You ain't gunna win if you don't participate in the first states..........and his chances were 0 to begin with........ so WTH is he doing.

Nah, it's more like he wants delegates so he can be the white knight at a contested convention. His team has already admitted that state ballot requirements make an independent run not backed by an existing party (Libertarians, Greens, etc.) incredibly hard.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

getting media attention so he can talk about that Mean Ol' Elizabeth Warren (or Mean Ol' Bernie if he starts rising in the polls)

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
If either Sanders or Warren is the nominee he is 100% running as an independent. Rich people, especially billionaires, care more about their money than anything else.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

This is a response to Warren's new ad, which touts her wealth tax and singles out billionaires Lloyd Blankfein, Leon Cooperman, Joe Ricketts and Peter Thiel. https://youtu.be/mN0a_ZhYjac https://twitter.com/lloydblankfein/status/1195020090108006405 …

Surprised to be featured in Sen Warren's campaign ad, given the many severe critics she has out there. Not my candidate, but we align on many issues. Vilification of people as a member of a group may be good for her campaign, not the country. Maybe tribalism is just in her DNA.

Maybe tribalism is just in her DNA

200.gif

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
He'd probably be sucking away votes from Biden.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Why does the press insist on calling it white nationalism and not white supremacy?

From my light research:

While white nationalist is often used as a euphemism for white supremacy because it's seen as less extreme, for Miller's case, at least, the White Nationalist label is actually the most etymological.

He not only espouses those views, but actions on them and holds them as a political ideology.

See:

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I mean, if Bloomberg really runs as an indepedent to stop Warren/Bernie, wouldnt that make their anti greed anti corruption message stronger?

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

would love to see these supposedly liberal billionaires bring this "how dare you" energy to something of actual social value instead of their own hurt feelings about not being worshiped.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

Whelp. That cheap Native American joke came out of nowhere.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

The point of a spoiler candidate is to function as a potential vote siphon and nothing more

I doubt he has any illusions of winning but if he does just enough campaigning in the right places to draw away certain voting blocks on slim enough margins

Thats all you need to achieve your goals with our current systems as we have seen many times already

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
It's endlessly amusing and gross just how thin skinned very rich people are when it comes to their money.

Hoarding their cash is their only concern. They will jettison any pet project for it. Don't you dare come for them or they will not donate to your party.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes at that tribalism comment. Showing his true face with the swiftness. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

Also LMFAO @ Pelosi taking shots at Trump. Can't wait for "5th rate politician Pelosi running her scam witch hunt!" type shitstorms.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
come on ladies we only have a month and a half left to bang out four more OTs and beat last year's record!

hearings for the next few weeks, shouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't be surprised if we go through 1-2 next week alone.

Tomorrow should be pretty good with the attacks she has been receiving, and Fiona Hill should also be good. Sondland could also be a surprise.

the next hearings will be pretty incredible. Next week with Sondland, Volker, Vindman, Hill....whew.

pure ether.

Why does the press insist on calling it white nationalism and not white supremacy?

It doesn't sound as bad would be my guess.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
This is a question for lawyers but can you subpoena anyone you want for a trial or impeachment, regardless of involvement in the case?

Asking because if I'm Hunter Biden, I obviously fight the subpoena on the grounds that I have no involvement in the foreign aid or Ukrainian diplomacy.

It is a general rule (at least it is in the UK and I guess the US is roughly the same) that evidence is admissible only where it is relevant to whatever the dispute is that the court is hearing. And that includes witness evidence.

Since the Chief Justice presides over the Senate proceedings I'd expect this rule to be pretty closely adhered to.

It is really hard to see what relevance any testimony from Hunter Biden would have, since what Trump did is probably a high crime or misdemeanor quite regardless of anything that Biden may or may not have done.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I would say he's in it to make money, but he doesn't need more money.

The fucking world is on fire and we're too busy squabbling because of fucking egos.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Also not mentioned yet: Deval works/worked for Bain Capital. That's gonna go over real well.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm

(Spoiler: There may be some subconscious sexism in play, but also he's always had a much more contentious relationship with Warren than Sanders - who he's more friendly with (so progressive!), and also he sees her base as more fluid than Sanders while she is a bigger threat to him.)

it's because bernie and biden are close friends (source: bernie sanders himself)

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
All the big news outlets send memos to their hosts telling them certain things that they can or cant say. I'd guess that "white supremacy" is one of the things they arent allowed to say, so they go with white nationalists because it doesn't sound as bad.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
It's also because Bernie really doesn't go "hard" at people, even though he could. He usually just goes hard on the issues.

For instance. If Biden smashed on Bernie's student loan forgiveness stance, Bernie will just say because of Joe, you can't file for bankruptcy on student loans.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All the big news outlets send memos to their hosts telling them certain things that they can or cant say. I'd guess that "white supremacy" is one of the things they arent allowed to say, so they go with white nationalists because it doesn't sound as bad.
I mean, the only people to whom White Nationalism doesn't sound as bad as White Supremacy to are racists in the first place.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
It is a general rule (at least it is in the UK and I guess the US is roughly the same) that evidence is admissible only where it is relevant to whatever the dispute is that the court is hearing. And that includes witness evidence.
That's what i thought, but wasn't sure.

Since the Chief Justice presides over the Senate proceedings I'd expect this rule to be pretty closely adhered to.

It is really hard to see what relevance any testimony from Hunter Biden would have, since what Trump did is probably a high crime or misdemeanor quite regardless of anything that Biden may or may not have done.
Someone mentioned Senate voting on witnesses before so who knows.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Legit surprised Rs are not harping on the "overhead phone call" thing given how much they love to say "hearsay". But I guess they have to wait and see what Sondland says.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

This is where I give Bloomberg some credit because he actually does put his money into down ballot races and important groups for gun control advocates, climate advocates, etc. Most of these guys though don't do anything other than raise money for their preferred candidates and call it a day at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.