• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
So ABC was sitting on the Ivanka Steele story for a year? What the fucking fuck?

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about Pelosi agreeing to USMCA the angrier I get. Dems will receive zero credit from Trump, the media, or people from both bases for working on the deal. Trump will basically get 100% of the credit on a big, signature piece of legislation. He can then go to crucial swing states and campaign on getting this huge new trade deal accomplished. In fact, Trump and Fox News will probably say they bullied Pelosi into agreeing to it and millions of people will believe it!

Why not wait until November when a potential Dem takes the White House and negotiate a better deal? Give the new Pres a big win right away. It makes no sense at all to me.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Omg, if we get that shithead Toomey as Governor...
Recent trends have shown that while at a district level things can be tricky for Democrats, in terms of sheer numbers they have the edge (it's partially why Wolf won in 2014 in a terrible Democratic year, and that same year and subsequent years have seen elections of Democrat Judges). Unless things go to absolute shit with Democrats in control of Washington, and/or PA Republicans put up a candidate that a)Doesn't have Trump's stink on him and b)Is more in line with MA and Maryland's Governors, Dems should be favored to win the Governorship again.

And if Biden is President, PA is basically on lockdown.

Toomey was re-elected on the slimmest of margins right? Or am I misremembering?
Trump dragged his ass over the finish line. His opponent McGinty (bless her soul) is a perennial loser in politics. If Shapiro of Fetterman run, his ass is in trouble. Especially if Biden is President.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Why not wait until November when a potential Dem takes the White House and negotiate a better deal? Give the new Pres a big win right away. It makes no sense at all to me.

I guess there are still some people in government who are worried more about doing the right thing than wins and losses in future elections. If only all politicians thought like that...

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
They actually played clips of Trump admitting to the crimes on TV already.

CONFESSING

Touché. Let's have less polls too. This place would be a lot less snippy if the next poll was IA election day.
FlawedFoolhardyDoctorfish-small.gif

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Between this and the donors, Warren looking juked.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Recent trends have shown that while at a district level things can be tricky for Democrats, in terms of sheer numbers they have the edge (it's partially why Wolf won in 2014 in a terrible Democratic year, and that same year and subsequent years have seen elections of Democrat Judges). Unless things go to absolute shit with Democrats in control of Washington, and/or PA Republicans put up a candidate that a)Doesn't have Trump's stink on him and b)Is more in line with MA and Maryland's Governors, Dems should be favored to win the Governorship again.

And if Biden is President, PA is basically on lockdown.

Trump dragged his ass over the finish line. His opponent McGinty (bless her soul) is a perennial loser in politics. If Shapiro of Fetterman run, his ass is in trouble. Especially if Biden is President.
You don't have to lecture me, I live here lol. I just don't want to entertain even the slightest chance of Toomey winning the Gov race in 2022. Wolf and Casey did so well largely in part because Trump is so toxic here. In 2022 it could be different especially if Trump isn't President then. Biden could help two years in, or the GOP could be poised to take back the House etc. as it would be in the middle of his first term and who knows how things will be playing out then?

Which is why I say, as much as it pains me to because it hurts Dem Senate majority prospects... please stay in the Senate, Toomey.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good on Pete for releasing the stuff.

Warren isn't really "juked" she released her info before Pete did. This quibbling about "you didn't release the exact thing that I asked for" is just endless.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is why I say, as much as it pains me to because it hurts Dem Senate majority prospects... please stay in the Senate, Toomey.
Him staying in the Senate dosen't hurt Democrats' chances; I'd argue that Toomey leaving is him realizing how untenable his position is. Honestly, I wouldn't say he favored by any stretch of the imagination even if he ran for governor. There are more Dems than Republicans here so in any statewide race the Republican is at a disadvantage.

Plus, here's the kicker: Toomey has Trump's stink all over him. Even if he's out of office, Trump won't pull a Bush and let the party move on and pretend he doesn't exist; he'll scream and try to make everything about him again. It's the longterm problem Republicans have with Trump, and why even if he's out of office, ha can still be an effective boogeyman.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Democrats can keep quarreling amongst themselves about tax returns all they want to while the SCOTUS keeps helping Trump hide his.

Oct 25, 2017
Unemployment is at 3.5% and the Dems are handing Trump a massive win. If we pull of a victory in 2020, it will go against all common sense.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I guess there are still some people in government who are worried more about doing the right thing than wins and losses in future elections. If only all politicians thought like that...

So I hear the moderates want USMCA passed if they're gonna go along with the impeachment. Fucking embarrassing.

You cannot win the presidency without appealing to moderate Republicans and Independents. Trump and the Republicans have been hammering Democrats on USMCA and "impeachment" instead of working in Congress for a long while. Everyone knows Trump is shit, the lines have been drawn. Now the Democrats need to convince the anti-Trump Republicans to vote Democrat despite being Republicans. That means passing USMCA and smoothing their feelings.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
I think for Pete it demonstrates the seriousness of his candidacy that anybody cares about these things...unlike...

Plus its an easy thing to "answer" - unlike other more substantive issues.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
So I hear the moderates want USMCA passed if they're gonna go along with the impeachment. Fucking embarrassing.
Tea Party of the....center

I don't really know what to think of it. I don't necessarily think Dems should refuse to pass legislation that aligns with their goals just because the WH also wants it. Did people have a problem with passing the First Step Act? I know Republicans would never do the same if the shoe were on the other foot, but they also don't have any interest in constructive policymaking anyway so the role reversal isn't really applicable. At the same time, I also get that handing a political victory to Trump in the year of his re-election one of his two biggest 2016 campaign politics is dumb electoral politics, and makes it that much harder for our nominee to hit Trump on an area that he will be vulnerable with the very groups of voters who put him in the WH in the first place.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
You cannot win the presidency without appealing to moderate Republicans and Independents. Trump and the Republicans have been hammering Democrats on USMCA and "impeachment" instead of working in Congress for a long while. Everyone knows Trump is shit, the lines have been drawn. Now the Democrats need to convince the anti-Trump Republicans to vote Democrat despite being Republicans. That means passing USMCA and smoothing their feelings.

Run on all the good bills you've passed and that the Senate has killed. Note that few people are arguing on the merits of USMCA just that it would somehow be good for House Dems to pass it. But they've been doing stuff all Congress long, its not their fault the Senate won't do their job.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Moderate Dems want to show they can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Him staying in the Senate dosen't hurt Democrats' chances; I'd argue that Toomey leaving is him realizing how untenable his position is. Honestly, I wouldn't say he favored by any stretch of the imagination even if he ran for governor. There are more Dems than Republicans here so in any statewide race the Republican is at a disadvantage.

Plus, here's the kicker: Toomey has Trump's stink all over him. Even if he's out of office, Trump won't pull a Bush and let the party move on and pretend he doesn't exist; he'll scream and try to make everything about him again. It's the longterm problem Republicans have with Trump, and why even if he's out of office, ha can still be an effective boogeyman.
Yeah, you're probably right, but again, I do. not. even. want. to. entertain. the. thought. of. a. Governor. Toomey.

It would be a statewide nightmare. He would royally fuck PA up. Wolf has made some steady progress despite having to work with Republican manchildren in the state legislature which is a miracle.

Of course, we got Corbett largely in part because 2010 was such a huge year for the GOP since Obama was working with a commanding majority in the House and Senate, passing things like the ACA which upset lots of conservatives, and on top of that white racists everywhere simply wanted to stick it to that black guy who they did not even see as an actual President. So I realize 2022 might not be as crazy especially if there's an old white dude as President who at best would give us a public option. That won't get enough conservative people here upset.

Still, PLEASE STAY IN THE SENATE (and lose), Toomey. Maybe I'll donate $5 or $10. Heh heh.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Tea Party of the....center

I don't really know what to think of it. I don't necessarily think Dems should refuse to pass legislation that aligns with their goals just because the WH also wants it. Did people have a problem with passing the First Step Act? I know Republicans would never do the same if the shoe were on the other foot, but they also don't have any interest in constructive policymaking anyway so the role reversal isn't really applicable. At the same time, I also get that handing a political victory to Trump in the year of his re-election one of his two biggest 2016 campaign politics is dumb electoral politics, and makes it that much harder for our nominee to hit Trump on an area that he will be vulnerable with the very groups of voters who put him in the WH in the first place.

Republicans have been hammering on Democrats being so opposed to Trump that they are willing to hurt the country, approving it removes that argument. Remember, Republicans aren't appealing to Independents on Trump not being shit, they lost that long ago. They are trying to make Democrats be worse than Trump. In that sense passing the legislation removes that BS.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Warren the first candidate in the race to release her tax returns? Is Pete's complaint literally that she hasn't released the tax returns for her entire life, including from before he was even born?

Seems like a weak deflection from the relevant issue of wealthy campaign bundlers clearly having an impact on Pete's rhetoric once the money started rolling in. Like, Pete's whole pivot and right-wing attack angles basically proves Warren's central campaign thesis on corruption and money in politics.

But the media is running with the "Warren making $2 million as a corporate lawyer!" headline while obfuscating the fact it was over a 30 year period lol. The media really does have it out for the progressive candidates.

I really hope Warren and Sanders do have some kind of cooperation agreement to try to make sure at least one of them gets the nom. Because I basically hate everyone else running now lol.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USMCA is simple- the revisions are mildly positive, and Dem Presidents get massive heat from trade deals, so they want to get it over with.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a comprehensive review in speaking with a lot of different perspectives - as usual, its more complicated than one perspective.

That story — a circular narrative built primarily around poll numbers — can be deeply misleading. A few things were clear to me after spending several days in South Bend this month and hearing from more than 15 local activists, pastors, politicians, and others — most of them people of color and many supportive of Buttigieg's presidential bid. One: The anger directed toward Buttigieg over his policies and the slow pace at which results are seen is real and visceral, if not uncommon for a city of South Bend's size. And two: Any notion that he has ignored these issues or navigated them without advice from the city's black community is incorrect.

Buttigieg's allies in South Bend's black community, quiet for months as he defended himself with data that never told the full story, are finally hitting back — in some cases almost literally.

And when he drafted his proposal to fight systemic racism, named after the abolitionist Frederick Douglass and presented as the policy centerpiece of his White House run, he sought input from Fowler and others. Those conversations, Fowler said, included a diverse group ranging from union leaders to "people who could barely read" and people who had served time in prison.

A community organizer, local business owner, and three pastors — including Michael Patton, the head of the local NAACP — joined the council members, McBride and White, among those who spoke for Buttigieg.

"Mayor Pete comes from a Midwestern community that's small," Patton, who stressed that his support for Buttigieg is independent of his role with the NAACP, told me. "His level of politics has not been at the level of a Joe Biden or a Bernie Sanders. So here's a young man who wants to run for president who now has to introduce himself to different cultures across the country. I think he's done a great job at that. I think he's got more to do." ●

Status
Not open for further replies.