• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Matt Gaetz and Jim Jordan will vie for GOP nom in 2024

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
What makes the impeachment stuff even more infuriating is if Obama or Hillary had done anything similar to Trump and just how outraged the GOP would have been.

It's so exhausting listening to them.

"You don't understand BWoog, Clinton met his Attorney General on a tarmac! A TARMAC!"
"Cool ok, Trump is having regular meetings with Barr and not even trying to hide it, what about that?"
"....We don't want to talk about this anymore."

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
The secession-esque setting in the UK is fascinating with about a 90% single-party representation from Scotland and small local parties controlling all the Northern Ireland seats. And yeah Tories won't get a popular vote majority. Way to stick to your principles, LibDem voters!
Matt Gaetz and Jim Jordan will vie for GOP nom in 2024
Oh, right, I forgot that the top of the GOP bench is even more insane than the current generation of leadership, which is saying a lot.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Labour was never going to win, but I think they would have been hard pressed to do any worse than they actually did.

I think the main take away should be for the umpteenth time, Twitter does not equal reality. Polls were pretty clear as to what was going to happen today. I think there are other conclusions to draw, but that's the main one. I really, really, really am interested in seeing if youth turnout was down or not.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
A ton can change in five years but right now I think Trump Jr has the best shot. Eddie Rispone got a governors nomination by pledging unending loyalty to Trump, how much better off will his kid do? The cult is real.
Well yes I have said since 2016 that he will keep his family going strong and Trump Jr. (or Ivanka I suppose) could be a thing.
But if we are talking more traditional GOP politicians DeSantis is the one to watch for.

It will come down to someone like him vs. whatever Trumpland cultists want which naturally feels like Don Jr. but what the hell do I know

Gym Jordan and Matt "bro let's crash Schiff's party on TV" Gaetz will be clown car entertainment during debates at best

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the GOP tickets have been insane with Trump taking the crazy train all the way to fascism so it's not going to get any better.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
lol at how mad Collins et al. are. Fucking waste everyone's time today and then complaining their little stunt didn't work. I look forward to the media both sidesing the fuck out of this, of course.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Economy looks good in aggregate, because in reality it's REALLY fucking good for the top 5% to 10%, so good in fact, it makes the overall numbers look great, meanwhile, for the other 90%, and especially the bottom 50%, it's absolute shit.
Can confirm. If I was a daydreaming idiot who didn't post here or read financial news I'd say the economy is fine.

It is not.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
None of Trump's children have even a tenth of his blustery, revolting carny charisma, nor his stage presence, nor his warmed-over Andrew "Dice" Clay sense of humor. That shit works on (terrible) people, and his kids just don't have it at all.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
In general I don't really get the "x will have trouble with y group if they're the nominee" type posts (when it's about demographics), you mentioned Sanders here but it also goes for Buttigieg and black voters, if he was the Democratic nominee that would mean he already fixed that issue on the way there (or he won the other demographics by such overwhelming margins, but I doubt that).

Thing is, different groups present different troubles.

Let's look at the youth vote.

1494348865503.jpg

Even in the best years voters under 30 barely crack 50%, and while this chart only shows Presidential election turnout we know that in 2014 the youth turnout was a measly 20%. You could do everything in your power to turn them out, have the most exhilarating and youthful candidates, ala Clinton in 92 or Obama in 08, and half will show up.

Meanwhile...

Black voters show the fuck up.

1494349516657.jpg

In the worst years they don't fall below 55%, so their basement for turnout is above the ceiling for youth's turnout. And this isn't even accounting for the often insane circumstances they often face regarding turnout, from urban voting booths being shut down sooner, moving between elections, and the other more nefarious means of vote suppression (not to say that youth voters don't have hurdles, but the comparison does not favor them). And even as black turnout was notoriously written about following 2016 it rebounded in the 2018 midterms to 51.4%, compared yo youth voting at 35.6%.

What does this mean? It means that even when they aren't excited or have an imperfect candidate, black voters still vote. Youth doesn't. Sanders and similar candidates putting so much stock in youth voting, to a degree forsaking the reliability of older voters, has deeper consequences than a candidate like Pete having issues attracting black voters. For one of those candidates, even the unexcited will make an effort; for the other, the biggest fans still won't bother.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His best kid is a white woman who would call the cops on a black kid wearing glasses.

So not great.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
You missed the point: in the event Bernie is the Democratic nominee, he already got youth turnout to unprecedented levels, so worrying about him not being able to turn them out in the general in this scenario is kind of weird. The Buttigieg comparison was meant to show that it's basically a self-solving problem, that to get the nomination in the first place the candidate would have already resolved their supposed main issue.

(and as VectorPrime alluded to in the original post, in the likely event that he doesn't activate the youth vote, then well he's not the nominee so whatever)

Last edited:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Has Ivanka stated she's anti choice since the election? She's going to suddenly become an anti choice Jew? Because she's certainly not running as a democrat.

maybe you can run in some parts of Ny as a pro choice republican

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone trying to genuinely compare the situation with Corbyn as analogous to Sanders getting the nomination is being disingenuous as fuck.

Sanders has -3 favorability.
Corbyn has -40.

It's not as simple as "can't trust the youths!!!!"

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has Ivanka stated she's anti choice since the election? She's going to suddenly become an anti choice Jew? Because she's certainly not running as a democrat.

maybe you can run in some parts of Ny as a pro choice republican

She absolutely could run as a democrat. It wouldn't even be that weird.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You missed the point: in the event Bernie is the Democratic nominee, he already got youth turnout to unprecedented levels, so worrying about him not being able to turn them out in the general in this scenario is kind of weird. The Buttigieg comparison was meant to show that it's basically a self-solving problem, that to get the nomination in the first place the candidate would have already resolved their supposed main issue.

(and as VectorPrime alluded to in the original post, in the likely event that he doesn't activate the youth vote, then well he's not the nominee so whatever)
He absolutely did not do that. Turnout levels in the 2016 primary were similar to prior primaries.
Bernie wouldn't even endorse his own son but he goes and endorses that guy

why
That son was also a shithead.

The problem is the insane emphasis on loyalty, it's completely unhealthy and is the sort of stuff that can get you into cronyism problems.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
He absolutely did not do that. Turnout levels in the 2016 primary were similar to prior primaries.
I know he didn't, the entire fucking point was that to be the nominee in the first place he would need to (and in the scenario where it did happen in the primary to carry him to the nomination, there's no reason to believe it wouldn't show up again in the general too given that it actually already happened).

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is I don't think the SNP victories are as promising as it seems. It's just nationalism winning again it's just the SNP sells every bit of the liberalism they push wrapped rah rah fuck yeah Scotland so it works better.

Maybe Biden has the right idea with his Randy Marsh "I'm sorry I thought this was America!" Schtick. Tap Joe Cunningham as VP

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is I don't think the SNP victories are as promising as it seems. It's just nationalism winning again it's just the SNP sells every bit of the liberalism they push wrapped rah rah fuck yeah Scotland so it works better.

Maybe Biden has the right idea with his Randy Marsh "I'm sorry I thought this was America!" Schtick. Tap Joe Cunningham as VP
I mean, yeah. SNP do have the right idea that leveraging pariotism works no matter what policies you favor.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
national democrats would never vote for a trump. New York overall hates trumps. Maybe she could run as a Florida senator or a Staten Island rep or something.

I have no faith that the democratic party wouldn't gladly "extend an olive branch" and welcome her, especially if she says the right things. Assuming she'd even want to, anyway.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone trying to genuinely compare the situation with Corbyn as analogous to Sanders getting the nomination is being disingenuous as fuck.

Sanders has -3 favorability.
Corbyn has -40.

It's not as simple as "can't trust the youths!!!!"
I mean, there are a lot of factors there, but can't trust youths is definitely one of them given their entire campaign was centered around it (like, for example, dropping the voting age to 16).

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Inadvertently got into a philosophical (verbal) debate on discord about politics/society/Trump/morality with somebody who identifies as libertarian, that was fun.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I really want to see a new SC poll from a pollster better than Change, it'd be interesting to see if their numbers are accurate (I know they're not, but...)

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We got on the subject of abortion, he said under no circumstances is it ever justified, even in instances of rape. That the woman needs to "accept the consequences".

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
See, that's not even libertarian. They're shitty as fuck, but they're usually "government shouldn't interfere with abortions and weed should be legal cause free markets" at least.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"libertarian" needs to be in gigantic extra big air quotes there cause thats just delusional conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.