• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

EPISODE 10
THE ORANGE MENACE
The United States was plagued by a stupid, greedy, slimey and corrupt criminal boss.

Donald Trump
M79WW7w.png

Flanked by his minions, the court jester Devin Nunes
hqdefault.jpg

His useless suckup Jim Jordans
latest

and his media spin dancer Lindsey Graham.
e6_Yarna_Big_6.jpg

Try as they might, the truth would prevail (until fox news works it's stupid magic) and a hero would emerge.

Deval Patrick?
rta4qt0oizt01.jpg

We've had some big revelations with public hearings and with more to come I'm sure we'll get some pizzazz sometime. Oh and we apparently must always have 20 democratic candidates for President.

Reminders:
1) This thread isn't a venting ground for ResetEra threads you don't like, that's what the complaining channel on Discord (that no one who isn't already a member can see) is for.
1.5) Don't complain about OT Threads. We all want a better world, let's focus on the issues and not on being tone police.
2) This thread isn't a Twitter feed or live TV comment feed, provide context (as in tweet text or a video link/some attempt at transcription, respectively) for what you post.
3) Ignore these reminders at your own peril.

swmemerojsg.png

The prequels.

US PoliEra 2019 |OT9| I'm really glad I'm not on Twitter nearly enough to understand all the references
US PoliEra 2019 |OT8| WHITE HOUSE ADMITS TO QUID PRO QUO WITH UKRAINE
US PoliEra 2019 |OT7| It's happening
US PoliEra 2019 |OT6| Have You Hurd About These GOP Retirements?
US PoliEra 2019 |OT5| She's got a plan for that, now sashay away
US PoliEra 2019 |OT4| Folded like a DOG
US PoliEra 2019 |OT3| YOU WERE AT MY WEDDING, DENISE
US PoliEra 2019 |OT2| #President Pelosi
US PoliERA 2019 |OT1| You down wit' NDP? (Yeah you know me!) Who's down wit' AOC? (This whole party!)
US PoliERA 2018 |OT13| And now the fun starts
US PoliERA 2018 |OT12| The Moscow Project
US PoliERA 2018 |OT11| The Hunt for Blue November
US PoliERA 2018 |OT10| McConnell is "mule piss"
US PoliERA 2018 |OT9| Next week has been EXHAUSTING
US PoliERA 2018 |OT8| Democrats projected to gain F5 seats
US PoliERA 2018 |OT7| Tell Me The Bad Things That Happened Since I Fell Asleep
US PoliERA 2018 |OT6| An Unmitigated Disaster
US PoliERA 2018 |OT5| A Total Goat Rodeo
US PoliERA 2018 |OT4| Sweetheart, this is Watergate, goodbye!
US PoliERA 2018 |OT3| In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Ryan
US PoliEra 2018 |OT2| Flip, Flip, Flip-a-Gatesia
US PoliEra 2018 |OT| Welcome to the Resistance, the only funded organization in D.C.
US PoliEra 2017 |OT3| This thread was created with a one vote margin
US PoliEra 2017 |OT2| Tinkle Traitor Soldier Spy
US PoliEra 2017 |OT| At least Rand Paul had a lawn to cushion the blow

giphy.gif

FarawaySparseBluetonguelizard-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Proponents of Patrick's campaign view him as the rare candidate who could unite the party's progressive wing — currently represented in the primary by Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren — with the more moderate voters who remain largely committed to Joe Biden, despite doubts among the donor class regarding the viability of the former vice president's candidacy.
Who are these people? Nobody knows who Deval is outside of this state, how can anyone believe he's the one to unite the different wings of the party together?

I like Deval but the argument for the need of his candidacy feels like it comes strictly from donors who don't like Warren/Bernie and who have been concerned by their up-close meetings with Biden, and believe that this is the guy to assuage their concerns, not any organic response from the electorate that -- as polling shows -- is actually pretty satisfied with this field of candidates and wants fewer, not more, people running.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Asked now on @CBSThisMorning about some key issues, Patrick says:
—He's not for M4A, but backs a public option.
—A wealth tax makes sense "directionally," he says, but his idea is a simpler tax system with some deductions eliminated.

Among the calls Patrick made before getting in the race officially: fellow Bay Stater - and now 2020 competitor - Elizabeth Warren. They spoke last night, sources familiar tell me.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mike Madigan looking to be arrested on corruption charges.

End of last thread.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Re: Dems taking on more "conservative positions" to win the Senate ...

My first impression was abortion rights, not immigration. Abortion has more single-issue voters behind it than anything else, right?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Re: Dems taking on more "conservative positions" to win the Senate ...

My first impression was abortion rights, not immigration. Abortion has more single-issue voters behind it than anything else, right?
Meh, I don't think it'd work. Most militant pro-lifers just vote R down the ticket no matter what. I'd be surprised if they knew, for example that Bob Casey Jr. is pro-life. I think Democrats would need someone like JBE, who's pro-life, pro-gun, pro-police etc. to win in some of these red states.

I also don't really think filling the party with a bunch of those types of Democrats is worth it. If someone happens to be all of those things and decides to run for a seat, sure, go for it, but it shouldn't be like, a coordinated strategy within the party.

Oct 27, 2017
So, yesterday I'm waiting for my order at a Chinese restaurant with some colleagues from work. We get to chatting about the impeachment investigation and the meaning of "quid pro quo" or whether it was just straight up extortion. Then this short Indian lady that had just come in interrupts us to say, "there is no quid pro quo." And, we're like, "what was that?" She then proceeds to state how there is no quid pro quo, how the President can't be impeached, that what the Democrats are doing is wrong, that Trump has done a great job with the economy and other great stuff, and basically lamenting the decline of the Democratic party.

The real kicker, she says she's a registered Democrat. Of course, we didn't really challenge her as we recognized her as off her damn rocker. But that lady claiming she was a Democrat just kept me thinking the whole time, "with friends like these who needs enemies."

Frustrating. One of my close friends who is like family, a naturalized immigrant, recently switched his party affiliation to Independent. From Democrat. Why? Because "both of them are the same anyway". Yeah.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Frustrating. One of my close friends who is like family, a naturalized immigrant, recently switched his party affiliation to Independent. From Democrat. Why? Because "both of them are the same anyway". Yeah.

These anecdotes remind me that across the entire country people are content not to dive into the details and accept whatever reality is thrown at them in convenient packaging.

It really does suck

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
These anecdotes remind me that across the entire country people are content not to dive into the details and accept whatever reality is thrown at them in convenient packaging.

It really does suck
It's massively frustrating.

Going to be even worse in 2022 if Democrats take the presidency next year, and you realize just how many people are only mad at Trump because he forced them to pay attention to the news.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Madigan getting indicted for corruption would be the least surprising thing ever

it's Illinois!

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I will say, whoever comes out of the 2020 primary is likely going to be very battle-tested. Aside for some kind of contested-convention shenanigans, they're going to have to have survived a lot to come out the nominee.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Can I just say, I love this OT. Very funny.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like she's clamped down a lot of the "I'm definitely going" caucus goers, while Bernie has a larger share of the "I might go" caucus goers.

Of course, a majority still haven't decided yet and have only narrowed it down. That said, Warren apparently has a very strong lead as a second choice. So if anyone drops between now and then, or they swap day of, she's most likely to benefit at the moment.

Respondents indicated candidate positions were the most important characteristic in deciding which candidate they prefer. 65% responded that candidates taking positions on major issues that are similar to their own positions was most important compared to 30.2% who responded that being able to win the general election was the most important factor. Warren leads among those who rated positions as most important with 29.9%. Sanders comes in second with 20.1% and Buttigieg third with 12.3%. Among those who indicated that winning the general election was most important, Biden leads with 27.1%. Buttigieg comes in second with 22.7%, Sanders is third at 16.6%, and Warren is fourth at 11.7%.

This, I thought, was in interesting bit. If this was just about the issues, she'd be winning easy, but when you start looking at electability she takes a huge hit.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Posting to watch thread. I don't have any contributions to make other than Lindsey Graham is a ratfuck traitor who has no fucking spine.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
From the last thread, re: Matty's concessions take — his point is not that Dems should move to the center because reasons, his point is that if you/we/they consider the fascist GOP an existential threat to the United States, democracy, the world, etc etc, then the rational conclusion is to do anything, including making concessions on the stump, to win. It's a nuanced difference.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Also the "go" in the thread title is unneeded and undermines the beautiful, brutal simplicity of one of our most eloquent speakers and defenders of democracy of this time, uttered with all possible contempt at one of the dingiest, dirtiest, sleaziest operators of our time. ABSENT YOURSELF. No go needed, a gates-ia.

Oct 26, 2017
My dad is now sending me Republican conspiracies on Biden and how he made money.

For ducks shake dad, go to bed. Stop listening to coast to coast and those alt right entry points

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
Also the "go" in the thread title is unneeded and undermines the beautiful, brutal simplicity of one of our most eloquent speakers and defenders of democracy of this time, uttered with all possible contempt at one of the dingiest, dirtiest, sleaziest operators of our time. ABSENT YOURSELF. No go needed, a gates-ia.

yeah I can agree with this.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
How are Bennet / Castro / Delaney / Bullock still in the race at this point ? This is madness.
Bennet I think is/was one of the better fundraisers among bigger donors. There's not much to his campaign so he can probably float on that cash for a while (and it's what a few more months at this point?). Delaney is wealthy and can self-fund until Iowa. Castro's campaign is starting to circle the drain. I don't know what is keeping Bullock afloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.