• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Matches up with Vindman's testimony:

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

JENNIFER WILLIAMS' handwritten notes reflect that Zelensky mentioned 'Burisma' on the July 25 call, and she doesn't know why it's not in the White House summary.

Q: So you wouldn't have written that down if it hadn't come up during the call. Is that right?
WILLIAMS: Correct.​

4:55 PM - Nov 16, 2019

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yes, but it lasted until 2014 so it´s not like he didn´t had anything to do with it.

I worked in a place where 17 people were let go at that time (a Double Tree hotel in Orlando), so i saw at first hand the human suffering because of the crisis.

People already told me that Obama was pragmatic the whole way and did what was possible, i just don´t agree with this line of thinking.
Remember that Republicans were against the autos bailout, which ultimately cost taxpayers $11BN. Meanwhile the famers bailout, which is a direct consequence of GOP policy, is already at $28BN and likely to end up over $40BN. And that hypocrite Grassley pushed for both farmer bailouts then personally profited from them.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Pete has technically been endorsed by everyone that didn't reply to his group chat. that includes all of the others running in the primary, all republican congresspeople, and trump himself. So... hello president booty? You may not like anything about him or his politics, but you gotta respect his hustle

part of the problem with the dems who think they're playing an elaborate and complicated game of chess is that when they inevitably get bulldozed over by people who don't play by their rules, they accomplish nothing and end up looking ineffectual and dumb. Which only makes voters feel less confident in them.

I'm one of the few around here who feels we should appeal to these people and all disenfranchised voters through class politics, because identity politics absolutely will not work. I don't think we should ignore them either, but the pundits and wannabe pundits feel that's political suicide, and we should instead fight over ever shrinking fiefdoms of old ass voters with inscrutable politics.

The issue is that identity politics has already won the battle with class politics. You are not getting down-on-their-luck racists from Greene County Pennsylvania or anywhere else to make common cause with poor blacks and latinos. It just ain't happening, these folks are ride or die with their bigotry at this point.

I agree insofar as increasing turnout among the disenfranchised is a key part of the strategy, but it's not the magic bullet that's going to solve all problems, particularly because activating low propensity voters is a journey, but there are elections every year and it's not feasible to sustain that energy among low-propensity voters. It's how you get something like the swing from 2008-2010 wave elections. Obama woke up some folks but keeping them awake is the work of a generation, not of a single cycle.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a strawman. I never said that was the only reason people here trashed Biden. I'm saying that one of the reasons people trash on Biden is that he thinks working with Republicans is going to happen once Trump is gone and he's in office. People rightly call him out on that as being delusional because of his time in office with Obama as that is direct evidence that flies against his rhetoric. We can extend that to moderate democrates too.

Which is great. So now we're trashing Bernie of trying to rally people because the strategy of working with people in Washington isn't a guarantee of success as Obama's time in office is sufficient evidence. Oh, that doesn't work either? So only certain politicians you like are capable of getting things done and they'll be different from Obama.

Should we have a more Israel friendly policy because it's more palatable? Or does this only work for M4A and Bernie? How exactly should we as progressives go about standing for what we believe in if we can't push too much due to our conservative country? I don't think shitting on progressive policies are the way to go even if you think less ambitious proposals are more palatable. Don't get me wrong, challenge Bernie's ideas. He's not the best on every single issue. It does irk me to treat his progressive policies or his strategy as pie in the sky in a conservative American world. I want my politician to have something to strive for and I want my politician to have backbone at least right now and propose their progressive vision for America.
People rightfully shit on Biden about thinking the way to passing legislation is working with Mitch McConnell and the GOP.

People rightfully shit on Sanders about thinking the way to passing legislation is trying to scare Mitch McConnell and the GOP.

These are not dichotomous.

Any theory of change that relies on getting the GOP to do what you want is pretty pointless in the present day.

It's not that positions like a public option can get votes from the GOP. It's that they can get votes from Sinemas and Hickenloopers.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Craig Silverman, a former deputy district attorney in Denver and current radio host on the conservative 710 KNUS, was taken off the air midshow Saturday after replaying an old interview clip in which he expressed hesitations about President Donald Trump.
Silverman told The Denver Post in a text message that the show was cut by management as he replayed parts of a 2015 interview he conducted with Trump confidant Roger Stone. On Friday, Stone was convicted of impeding investigators in a bid to protect the president.
In the clip, Silverman told Stone that one thing that concerned him about Trump was his relationship with Roy Cohn, the president's former personal lawyer who helped Sen. Joe McCarthy during the investigation into suspected Communists in the 1950s.
Silverman responded to state representative Dylan Roberts, an Eagle Democrat, on Twitter, saying "I cannot and will not toe strict Trump party line. I call things I see them."
The former prosecutor, who hosted "The Craig Silverman Show" on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon, continued: "I see corruption and blatant dishonesty by President and his cronies. I also see bullying/smearing of American heroes w/courage to take oath and tell truth. Their bravery inspires me."
Representatives from KNUS did not immediately respond in a request for comment. Silverman's show page appears to have been removed from the station's website. A link to his show gives a "404 Error — NotFound."

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jack Kuenzie @JKuenzie

Fundraising letter from @FLOTUS
That signature looks famil...WAIT A MINUTE.​

kLM7UhV.jpg

5:33 PM - Nov 16, 2019

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

Craig Silverman, a former deputy district attorney in Denver and current radio host on the conservative 710 KNUS, was taken off the air midshow Saturday after replaying an old interview clip in which he expressed hesitations about President Donald Trump.
Silverman told The Denver Post in a text message that the show was cut by management as he replayed parts of a 2015 interview he conducted with Trump confidant Roger Stone. On Friday, Stone was convicted of impeding investigators in a bid to protect the president.
In the clip, Silverman told Stone that one thing that concerned him about Trump was his relationship with Roy Cohn, the president's former personal lawyer who helped Sen. Joe McCarthy during the investigation into suspected Communists in the 1950s.
Silverman responded to state representative Dylan Roberts, an Eagle Democrat, on Twitter, saying "I cannot and will not toe strict Trump party line. I call things I see them."

The former prosecutor, who hosted "The Craig Silverman Show" on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon, continued: "I see corruption and blatant dishonesty by President and his cronies. I also see bullying/smearing of American heroes w/courage to take oath and tell truth. Their bravery inspires me."
Representatives from KNUS did not immediately respond in a request for comment. Silverman's show page appears to have been removed from the station's website. A link to his show gives a "404 Error — NotFound."

straight up authoritarianism

Im curious what Sondland does. I figure he either completely spills or goes into full "I don't recall mode", nothing in between. Trump world is probably working really hard to scare him right now.

edit: KENTUCKY IS A BLUE STATE WHAT IS THIS GUY SMOKING. I mean yeah, if you ignore every statewide position (including federal) except governor.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Sondland has good counsel and he knows he has no one supporting him. He will tell everything asked, but "coming clean" and offer anything more/new is an unforced error at this point.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Sondland has good counsel and he knows he has no one supporting him. He will tell everything asked, but "coming clean" and offer anything more/new is an unforced error at this point.

so you think if asked about the phone call he "won't recall" and will only answer questions he already testified to?

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
so you think if asked about the phone call he "won't recall" and will only answer questions he already testified to?

He'll coordinate his response to fit the facts corroborated by multiple witnesses. What I think we won't get is volunteered information during questioning that hasn't been unearthed by other witnesses.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
People rightfully shit on Biden about thinking the way to passing legislation is working with Mitch McConnell and the GOP.

People rightfully shit on Sanders about thinking the way to passing legislation is trying to scare Mitch McConnell and the GOP.

These are not dichotomous.

Any theory of change that relies on getting the GOP to do what you want is pretty pointless in the present day.

It's not that positions like a public option can get votes from the GOP. It's that they can get votes from Sinemas and Hickenloopers.

And the last take ill have on this is that Sinemas and Hickenloopers wont even agree to the moderate change.

Maybe, maybe not, but I'm not willing to trust those types of Democrats.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
He can't afford to "can't recall" now that they already got a couple of witnesses testifying about it.

"I make lots of calls, I don't remember this particular one." I mean, isn't that what these people do in depositions? Hopefully not, but we'll see. He's already lied under oath.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jeremy Diamond @JDiamond1

Trump's 2 previous physical exams in office were announced ahead of time by the White House and noted on his daily public schedule.
This time, the President's motorcade drove to Walter Reed unannounced, w/ reporters directed not to report the movement until arriving @ Walter Reed https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1195793030143496193 …

4:03 PM - Nov 16, 2019

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

From Stephanie Grisham: "After a quick exam and labs, the President is headed back downtown.
The President remains healthy and energetic without complaints, as demonstrated by his repeated vigorous rally performances in front of thousands of Americans several times a week."​

5:27 PM - Nov 16, 2019

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
That is a Kim Jong Un statement. Barr can take his norm breaking and shove it up his ass.

oh geez I just realized we have LA results coming soon. Preparing to be let down.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017

Trump's 2 previous physical exams in office were announced ahead of time by the White House and noted on his daily public schedule.
This time, the President's motorcade drove to Walter Reed unannounced, w/ reporters directed not to report the movement until arriving @ Walter Reed https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1195793030143496193 …

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

From Stephanie Grisham: "After a quick exam and labs, the President is headed back downtown.
The President remains healthy and energetic without complaints, as demonstrated by his repeated vigorous rally performances in front of thousands of Americans several times a week."

uhh

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that identity politics has already won the battle with class politics. You are not getting down-on-their-luck racists from Greene County Pennsylvania or anywhere else to make common cause with poor blacks and latinos. It just ain't happening, these folks are ride or die with their bigotry at this point.

I agree insofar as increasing turnout among the disenfranchised is a key part of the strategy, but it's not the magic bullet that's going to solve all problems, particularly because activating low propensity voters is a journey, but there are elections every year and it's not feasible to sustain that energy among low-propensity voters. It's how you get something like the swing from 2008-2010 wave elections. Obama woke up some folks but keeping them awake is the work of a generation, not of a single cycle.
It may not be easy, but appealing to class has some chance of working with those people. Shaming them has 0% of working. The disenfranchised voter is a better target to appeal to anyway. If some low key and high key racists get swept up in it too, okay, but turning them shouldn't be the ultimate goal.

The problem with obama is that he woke a bunch of people up on a platform of hope and change and big structural shakeups... and then promptly put them back to sleep when he ended up running a generic dem white house, though with arguably more naive "let's just work together with republicans, there's no red america or blue america, etc, etc" messaging. Promising hope and change and then not delivering is probably more harmful than not promising it at all when it comes to energizing people over the long term.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
We ready to lose Lousiana? Then spend days prognosticating about how LA is a deep red state and JBE was always destined to lose, anyway?

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Yeah I don't expect Sondland to turn into a hero anytime soon, he'll probably admit (at his lawyer's urging) to anything that has been corroborated by others but not add anything to it whatsoever

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
And the last take ill have on this is that Sinemas and Hickenloopers wont even agree to the moderate change.

Maybe, maybe not, but I'm not willing to trust those types of Democrats.
Hickenlooper ran on a public option, and talked about a long term transition to single payer.
The ultimate point is that these Senators won't answer to a Bernie Sanders admin, any more than Mitch McConnell and the GOP would.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely have crow to eat regarding liking Buttigeg at the start - dude's gotten really slimy. The wifey has started referring to him as "Booty-giggles," and now I cannot stop either.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
i hope his limited amount of human energy isnt running out.

But im not getting my hopes up, evil is an inexplicably good fuel source.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I definitely have crow to eat regarding liking Buttigeg at the start - dude's gotten really slimy. The wifey has started referring to him as "Booty-giggles," and now I cannot stop either.
Slimey in what way? I'm no fan either but haven't been keeping up with him much

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
It may not be easy, but appealing to class has some chance of working with those people. Shaming them has 0% of working. The disenfranchised voter is a better target to appeal to anyway. If some low key and high key racists get swept up in it too, okay, but turning them shouldn't be the ultimate goal.

The problem with obama is that he woke a bunch of people up on a platform of hope and change and big structural shakeups... and then promptly put them back to sleep when he ended up running a generic dem white house, though with arguably more naive "let's just work together with republicans, there's no red america or blue america, etc, etc" messaging. Promising hope and change and then not delivering is probably more harmful than not promising it at all when it comes to energizing people over the long term.
Why do you keep harping on this crock that these voters turned on neoliberal shill Obummer for letting them down, despite it being shown this isn't the case.

When you control for everything else, racism and sexism was what the biggest predictor of Trump vote.
"White working class" in financial distress were more likely to vote for Hillary.
PoC who are worse off than white people voted for Hillary.

If you want to "blame" Obama for racists voting for Trump, you can blame him for existing as a black man who was President making race more salient.

Oct 25, 2017

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

The President remains healthy and energetic without complaints, as demonstrated by his repeated vigorous rally performances in front of thousands of Americans several times a week."

I know Trump's press secretaries have issued a lot of lies, but saying Trump is "without complaints" might be the most egregious.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

The President remains healthy and energetic without complaints, as demonstrated by his repeated vigorous rally performances in front of thousands of Americans several times a week."​

"The President remains healthy and energetic without complaints, as demonstrated by his repeated vigorous rally performances in front of thousands of Americans several times a week."

Look how he is able to squander his time in office and waste tax payer dollars campaigning instead of presiding several times a week with such vim and vigor!

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Yea. I've been trying to point this out to people for a while now. Nobody seems to bother checking Yang's stances outside of his UBI policy. Someone really needs to pressure him on his immigration stance during the next debate, because it's basically Center-Right.
Even his specific UBI implementation is bad. There's a way better version of it to be had that would do a lot of good and seriously go a long way towards closing the gap, but his ain't it.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
Why do you keep harping on this crock that these voters turned on neoliberal shill Obummer for letting them down, despite it being shown this isn't the case.

When you control for everything else, racism and sexism was what the biggest predictor of Trump vote.
"White working class" in financial distress were more likely to vote for Hillary.
PoC who are worse off than white people voted for Hillary.

If you want to "blame" Obama for racists voting for Trump, you can blame him for existing as a black man who was President making race more salient.

But if this is right, how are we going to win 2020?

Is the country any less racist now than it was in 2016?

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
What will really cook your noodle when you think about 2016 is that what Biden will do during the general will probably work. I know that doesn't make many here happy but y'all are way too far up your own asses to see that is *exactly* what movable voters want.

Yeah the reaction here to that Biden tweet is real Bitch Eating Crackers stuff. It was an easy inoffensive dig at Trump which plays so well with easily offended middle American white voters who want things to just go back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.