• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Because the media is perpetually shit at calling a spade a spade (shocking!) we can excuse people for ignoring the obvious evidence in front of their eyes? The same media that struggled for years to even call Trump a liar? What even is this? The racism was plain as day, or were the rally signs of nooses not clear enough? If someone needed Trump to help them work backward to figure that out then they're blind.

They can still be plainly bigoted and racist and still be considered a legitimate movement. I never suggested otherwise and the things aren't mutually exclusive.

You're right that Buttigieg pandering to them in Indiana of all places shouldn't be some scandalous thing, but it's also the same reason he should not be the Democratic candidate for President.

It's not that the media is "perpetually shit", its that the TEA party was a creation of the same people who created the right wing noise machine on cable and AM radio.

Those people promoted the TEA party as a legitimate movement rooted in "concerns about fiscal responsibility" when that was obvious nonsense and the group was nothing but white grievance.

Like it or not, FOX and similar control media narrative and force moderate and left leaning outlets to take issues they promote seriously, lest conservatives flood them with accusations of bias. Accusations that would be picked up and promoted by Fox and AM radio as "proof" that the mainstream media was not fair and balanced.

"Well, the media took them seriously" is not an excuse. The group was racist from the start to anyone with eyes, but a well funded and deep rooted disinformation campaign existed to promote an alternative narrative.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Is there a reason why whenever there's a whiff of internet drama you guys run to Discord?

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I think the best Pete criticism should be along the lines of, "He's making rookies mistakes. When he's more experienced in politics he'll know better than to make those errors." It puts him in his place and reminds voters he's inexperienced; I'm not sure Kamala is the one to deliver that, though.

I assume the picture was added by someone Googling for stock photos featuring African-Americans. There's nothing in that photo that stands out as Kenyan/African. It's a coincidence that resonates because of birtherism.

The picture at the Holocaust Memorial seems a bit out of Pete's hands, too. His husband posted an Instagram picture. I actually think it's a nice artistic photo. I lived in DC; I saw plenty of tourists taking photos at somber memorials with inappropriate expressions (that's what this controversy is, right? That he has a slight smile in a hallowed place?), and this was before omnipresent social media and ubiquitous cameras. Don't lie to me that you don't take photos in the same places. He's not posing ridiculously and it's pretty disingenuous to link him with Grindr dudes posing shirtless trying to get laid.

The endorsements, however, are a real fuck-up. "Opting out" of endorsements is a slimy move. And it was unneeded! He had 400 people endorsing his plan, he didn't need to lie that it was also endorsing him for President.
Endorsing the tea party seems opportunistic. Honestly that is the thread behind all of Pete's moves. I get it that that is part of politics. However, he is doing it to the point that you got to see it as a Candidate's personality flaw.

Also while he is young physically I would say that if anything this shows he has a natural instinct for politics and saying he is a rookie is problematic because it allows him an excuse for his many calculated moves.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit isn't hitting the fan. Whatever mods are involved will step down. It's not like GAF where the owner of the forum was involved.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I scrolled back and there was anti-trans mods and people are calling them out on their bullshit. Also yeah I too would like a poli-era discord link if shit hits the fan
Was? But no longer? Seems like a silly reason to shut down a forum, are people just panicking over a perceived worst case scenario? Look, I've never been a mod but I've been around long enough to know that there will be serious issues that arise with mod personnel on a forum from time to time. ANY forum. It doesn't matter what kind of forum it is.

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
I would hate to think that all the good discussion in this thread would move somewhere else. I hope this thread continues.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Please don't panic over a couple of bad egg mods. This isn't a site-wide problem and the admins have nothing to do with this. Let's see how they respond, hopefully the mods get removed and we all move on.

This is nothing like the GAF situation.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So none of you were convinced by the Superman image? :o
#TrumpStrong 😂

Please don't panic over a couple of bad egg mods. This isn't a site-wide problem and the admins have nothing to do with this. Let's see how they respond, hopefully the mods get removed and we all move on.

This is nothing like the GAF situation.
Here's hoping there isn't thin purple line.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@NatashaBertrand
Volker was at the July 10 meeting w/ Ukrainian officials when both Giuliani and investigations were brought up by Sondland, per Hill and Vindman. But he testified that neither were mentioned.
Revising his testimony to say he was further out of the loop than he already indicated? https://twitter.com/npfandos/status/1196608943776288768
Nicholas Fandos

@npfandos
NEW: Volker plans to tell lawmakers Tuesday that he was out of the loop at key moments of Trump's pressure campaign on Ukraine

He will seek to reconcile his closed-door description w/conflicting versions offered by other witnesses@peterbakernythttps://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/18/us/politics/trump-impeachment.html?rref=collection%2Fbyline%2Fpeter-baker&action=click&contentCollection=undefined&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection …

08:28 - 19 Nov 2019

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Well if others are asking for Discord, I'd like an invite as well. No panic, but you guys are a great source of news/discussion.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Cenk Uygur is keeping his spot as TYT host (apparently; I don't watch). Seems kind of unethical while he's running for office and already has a media empire that will support him.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah. I think just replace the problematic mods. I don't think we need to start a new new site.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
These morning testimonies should be good. More concerned about potential fuckery and muddying of the waters from the two afternoon testimonies.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how this thread gets so distracted that we don't remember discussing the really important issues.

Like the not-so-blind item from earlier in the year that there was a serial fart-ripper on MSNBC and we all put our bets on Maddow.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
emptywheel notes both witnesses look uncomfortable to be there to her. Which seems logical as they're not diplomats, but I wonder if this sets up a possible train wreck if the GOP gets too aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.