• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The idea is that public option makes private insurance less lucrative which would make them either offer lower prices or change their model dramatically.

However this only works if Medicare is comprehensive and affordable ie. competitive with private insurance.

I do think that the end goal is Medicare as base line health insurance and then private insurance as supplemental insurance (for non essential health care needs) similar to what France does it. It won't abolish private insurance but they would be a non factor in essential, life saving health care.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The idea is that public option makes private insurance less lucrative which would make them either offer lower prices or change their model dramatically.

However this only works if Medicare is comprehensive and affordable ie. competitive with private insurance.

I do think that the end goal is Medicare as base line health insurance and then private insurance as supplemental insurance (for non essential health care needs) similar to what France does it. It won't abolish private insurance but they would be a non factor in essential, life saving health care.
Medicaid would be a better benchmark, but yes, more or less.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Sorta, it's a secondary argument. It's far weaker than "They are going to outlaw your private insurance".

It's the argument they used for the ACA being a trap door to single payer, only now they have some facts on their side.

Eh, it's pointless anyway. What happens to the ACA this summer will have more impact than this.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Medicaid would be a better benchmark, but yes, more or less.
Yeah I am assuming the Medicare people are talking about is a much more expanded form of Medicare because the current Medicare if made as public option would suck. So Medicaid is a bit more appropriate.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

The
@dscc
just endorsed Al Gross, an independent running against GOP Sen. Dan Sullivan in Alaska.

This on the heels of Gross outraising Sullivan in the last quarter and Begich campaigning for Gross. Still a bit of a long shot, but hey, every seat counts, and Alaska's politics are idiosyncratic enough.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
So basically become de facto single payer.
Right, which is why the Democrats pushing a public option while demonizing single payer is so fucking slimey and disingenuous.

If you actually make a robust and good public option, the end goal/result is de facto single payer anyway. If you do a cheap, half-assed attempt that's too expensive for people/lacks adequate subsidies, it doesn't really change much or help many people.

So if you're genuinely pushing for a good, robust public option, shredding apart your opponents single payer plans is very stupid and shortsighted, since you'll be open to those exact same attacks from the GOP. And yeah, the GOP would attack anyway, but now you've added bipartisan support to their smears!

Like, I've never had a problem with people arguing that a public option is a smoother/easier path to universal coverage. My issue is with the disingenuous smears.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Right, which is why the Democrats pushing a public option while demonizing single payer is so fucking slimey and disingenuous.

If you actually make a robust and good public option, the end goal/result is de facto single payer anyway. If you do a cheap, half-assed attempt that's too expensive for people/lacks adequate subsidies, it doesn't really change much or help many people.

So if you're genuinely pushing for a good, robust public option, shredding apart your opponents single payer plans is very stupid and shortsighted, since you'll be open to those exact same attacks from the GOP. And yeah, the GOP would attack anyway, but now you've added bipartisan support to their smears!

Like, I've never had a problem with people arguing that a public option is a smoother/easier path to universal coverage. My issue is with the disingenuous smears.

Buttigieg's never framed it that way. It's a choice, but if people are right that the public option is a much better plan people will pick it and we'll end up in close to the same spot.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Yeah I am assuming the Medicare people are talking about is a much more expanded form of Medicare because the current Medicare if made as public option would suck. So Medicaid is a bit more appropriate.
I imagine it's a blend of services between the two. Like a Medicare but add the Medicaid wrap services, plus of course cover different age brackets and kids and all their services.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Anyway now that the North Carolina Congressional districts seem finalized (pending a last-minute save from the Supreme Court), I'm just hoping the 8th district Republicans drew ends up backfiring. Unlike most of the Republican districts it's only a handful of points to the right of the state, just from looking at Daily Kos Elections' breakdown. Obama won 47.3% of the vote there while winning 48.5% statewide, while Clinton won 44.1% in the district and 46.8% statewide.

Probably would take a small wave to pull it off, but hey, better a small wave than a large one.

For anyone who's a dork like me and cares about winning the delegations (for the purpose of breaking an Electoral College tie), Democrats hold 23 (all the Clinton states plus Arizona, Iowa and Michigan) and Pennsylvania is tied. If the Democrats flipped just one more seat in PA and Florida (and realistically, MI, since Democrats only gained the majority when Amash flipped to an Independent), that would produce a 25-25 tie. 26 is tricky, and would likely come from either vastly overperforming in North Carolina or winning Montana's at-large seat. In either case we're probably doing well enough to just win the presidency outright, so this is purely academic, of course.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Can somebody please ask these dumbfucks what the goal of the DNC/Ukraine conspiracy was -- to embarrass their own party and candidate, and then lose the election? Fuck's sake.

And Putin, but I repeat myself.

Though this continues to show how much of how the Machine Behind the Scene is now breaking apart and can only nakedly soothe the desperate with obvious lies to get them thru the day.

Any overlap with Russian Intelligence psy ops from 2016 is a mistake...or marching orders.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The precedent the GOP is setting is that Presidents can do literally whatever the fuck they want. There is no limit at which they should even be questioned

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Buttigieg's never framed it that way. It's a choice, but if people are right that the public option is a much better plan people will pick it and we'll end up in close to the same spot.

If the public option is not better than it...doesn't actually do anything. Remember, most Americans already have private insurance!

Implicit in advocating for a public option is that it should be a pretty strong option, strong enough to compete with private insurance. Even Biden understands this. It's possible Buttigieg has gone pure third way and wants to advance a very bad public option, but that would just further underscore the degree to which he's a Republican entryist.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far Bloomberg doesn't seem to be siphoning from Biden... if anything his national lead has grown since Bloomberg entered the race.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Republicans are evil.

Whenever we have posters ragging dismissively at 'the youth vote' it just parrots Republican talking points and attitudes about 'millennials being lazy etc'. The reality is that younger voters had a relatively big turnout in the midterms, and aren't showing signs of becoming less politically conscious (probably to do with sub optimal standards of living).

So of course Republicans are working overtime to suppress them.

I just hope if their turnout IS depressed we don't fall back on the busted and defeatist narrative of 'the youth just doesn't care!'

The correct response should always be 'how can we fight voter suppression of increases engagement?'

It's the same with blaming of minorities 'not showing up' in 2016, when they DID show up and everyone completely ignored

1) Without minorities showing up, America is fucked
2) The Republicans have been doing everything they can to limit voting from minorities, especially after Obama became President. They put in WORK.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
How does Harris go from tearing Biden a new a-hole to endorsing him? It's literally the reason she spiked early on.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Status
Not open for further replies.