US PoliERA 2019 |OT2| #PresidentPelosi

Oct 25, 2017
also, frankly, I don't won't these people influencing democratic politics. so good riddance.

the whole Glenn Beck, Samantha Bee arc was embarrassing. hate that Ana Navarro and Bill Kristol are on "our" side. the whole thing is so depressing.

Oct 26, 2017
>
Yashar Ali @yashar

In a post on his website in Feb 2016, Erickson wrote: “As we have seen so far, those who are deluding themselves thinking that if they support Trump, he will support them, will instead find themselves slowly compromised on both their integrity and values”https://theresurgent.com/2016/02/22/i-will-not-vote-for-donald-trump-ever/
Not that it matters.

The diaper is full. I repeat. The diaper is full.
>
Nick Confessore @nickconfessore

This tweet came immediately after @JoeNBC criticized the president, based on @axios reporting, as lazy. Trump purports not to watch the show.

Oct 26, 2017

Pew Research Center @pewresearch

NEW: 34% of Americans say blackface in a Halloween costume is acceptable at least sometimes https://pewrsr.ch/2SjsSr2

53% of Americans think it is generally unacceptable for a white person to use makeup to darken their skin to appear to be a different race as part of a Halloween costume, including 37% who say this is never acceptable. https://pewrsr.ch/2SFOtZZ

Nov 9, 2017
I know I shouldn't pay any attention to anything he says because he is a compulsive liar and a complete idiot. I logically know that. But I can't help but feel rather enraged by the idea that he "inherited a mess" from an actual President that literally did inherit a mess from another Republican that drove the economy into the shitter, pulled us back from that saving the US Auto Industry and giving people more affordable healthcare on the way.

This fat piece of shit comes into office with the country already running along fine on cruise control with record low unemployment and the longest bull run in stock market history and has the nerve to say he inherited a mess. The only reason some people think this piece of shit has done a good job is because Fox News suddenly stopped lying about the state of the country economically as soon as he was sworn in.

Oct 25, 2017

NEW: 34% of Americans say blackface in a Halloween costume is acceptable at least sometimes https://pewrsr.ch/2SjsSr2

53% of Americans think it is generally unacceptable for a white person to use makeup to darken their skin to appear to be a different race as part of a Halloween costume, including 37% who say this is never acceptable. https://pewrsr.ch/2SFOtZZ

Dat deplorable %

Oct 25, 2017

So 50% of Republicans think that blackface is always or sometimes acceptable.

Gotcha.

Nov 7, 2017
In lighter news here's AOC's interview with Chuck Todd.

Her political instincts and training are coming across swimmingly here. Chuck tries to trip her up but she's able to dodge his attacks perfectly. I'm overjoyed that they're figuring out plans to get majorities and that compromises, within reason, are being applied to get the Green New Bill passed. That's what I wanted to hear. Fantastic!
I remember when many were singing Chuck's praise on GAF when he was primarily a numbers guy. What an utter disappointment he has been. He is all about the sport of politics and nothing else.

Oct 27, 2017
Native American on Morning Joe covering Warren, and people's perceptions of Native Americans. Says that Native Americans aren't just victims of US history, but participants. He personally doesn't care about the Warren form stuff, since many Oklahomans identified as and with Native Americans and he kind of gets that. It was a short segment, it will probably be posted up soon.

Oct 25, 2017

The Associated Press @AP

BREAKING: Virginia lawmaker backs off plans to introduce impeachment bill on Monday seeking ouster of Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax.

Patrick Hope @HopeforVirginia

Yesterday I sent draft language to my colleagues on the first step of an impeachment action regarding the Lt. Governor. There has been an enormous amount of sincere and thoughtful feedback which has led to additional conversations that need to take place before anything is filed.

We owe it to all parties involved- especially the victims- to make sure that we have thought through every option the General Assembly has. That's what these conversations are for- so we can build more consensus on a path forward.

I believe Dr. Vanessa Tyson and Meredith Watson. I promise that my work on this issue will be tireless until we have a process and outcome that treats these women with the respect they deserve going forward.
Come the fuck on. Fucking more "I believe women and that's why we won't do shit to help them"?

Mar 13, 2018
Saw this in the Brexit thread, figured people here would be as interested in it as anyone there

@ZDNet

Russia to disconnect from the internet as part of a planned test (link: https://zd.net/2Sm6nSp) zd.net/2Sm6nSp by
@campuscodi
I think this needs addressing. With no one to seriously defend the internet, Russia could easily deliver an attack while they would be buffered from it.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to hone in on this because this really sucks (and is probably not even the worst that's happened to anyone, which is doubly depressing), but:

She had never cared either way about politics, or whether there was a concrete wall or a steel barrier or metal slats or nothing at all along the U.S.-Mexico border, but she admired President Trump for his business savvy. She believed he was a tough negotiator, but lately she felt like collateral in one of his deals.
Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Apathy/ignorance towards politics combined with the "Trump is a genius businessman" myth are alone responsible for so much bullshit in today's political landscape (but of course, not all of it).

Oct 27, 2017
Tonight in el paso trump and beto will have competing rallies.

Meanwhile Klobuchar will be on Maddow tonight. If Maddow doesn't ask about the staff treatment I will be very disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to hone in on this because this really sucks (and is probably not even the worst that's happened to anyone, which is doubly depressing), but:

Apathy/ignorance towards politics combined with the "Trump is a genius businessman" myth are alone responsible for so much bullshit in today's political landscape (but of course, not all of it).
She's Latina too.

I read the whole thing. Felt bad for her but it was limited once I read that part.

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, even more surprising is that nearly all evidence points to the opposite, there is a lot of it. All the mythology supporting it is mostly a "Hollywood" manufactured story, something that these people tend to decry as elitism if used for anybody else.

Oct 27, 2017

Yea, if Trump accomplishes anything, it should hopefully be to get people to wake up and take politics more seriously.

It was so easy to assume elections are all a big game when things aren’t being mismanaged and lives aren’t impacted. What could ever go wrong??

Oct 25, 2017
She's Latina too.

I read the whole thing. Felt bad for her but it was limited once I read that part.
I mean, I think there are people who genuinely don’t care and go out of their way not to care. And that’s its own problem.

But I think when you look at the wide population of people who just never vote, that’s not an accident. It’s been carefully cultivated for years. There are still people who won’t vote because they think it means they’d have to do jury duty (which as we all know is the worst thing in the world, and certainly there’s no other way you’d be in the pool of potential jurors).

Along the same line, I worked at a call center for disability applicants and had a woman call in once saying she heard if you applied for disability while working, you’d go to jail. Like what the fuck, who told you that? And then who told them that? Trace it far back enough and I’m sure you find someone who benefits in some way from the lower class being too stupid or ignorant to take advantage of what limited resources they can to pull themselves out of poverty.

Yea, if Trump accomplishes anything, it should hopefully be to get people to wake up and take politics more seriously.

It was so easy to assume elections are all a big game when things aren’t being mismanaged and lives aren’t impacted. What could ever go wrong??
Yeah and like, I get it. I'm really early in my career so my tax refund was actually bigger than it was last year (unlike apparently everyone else). I also work for a private company so the government shutdown didn't affect me that much. The Minnesota state government is pretty liberal, which helps insulate us from the worst of the GOP's bullshit nationally.

And of course, the helpful fact that I'm a cis, straight white male.

There are times when I wish I wasn't that invested in politics, but it's literally never been more important than it is now. But I've been stressing to my less politically inclined friends - Trump is not the problem, Trump is the symptom. If y'all motherfuckers voted in 2014, just enough to get three more Senate seats, we would have had the Senate majority and Trump wouldn't have gotten shit. And if we do manage to boot him out in 2020, for the love of Christ do not sit out 2022 and let this happen all over again.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
No she didn't? Israel and AIPAC shell out millions to keep congress in line on Israel. To not point that out would be illogical.
Good summation of that point:

https://twitter.com/YousefMunayyer/status/1094942473556762625

I don't think most people realize that AIPAC literally has thousands of volunteers descend on DC every year to hit up every single member of Congress. The money isn't really the reason for their influence, it's absolutely their organization.