US PoliERA 2019 |OT2| #PresidentPelosi

After having read this article at Deadspin on sex workers in Atlanta during Super Bowl weekend, I'm wondering if we're where we need to be as a country to start addressing the issue that a lot of women are getting harassed, locked up, and not allowed to make a living (because these prostitution and sex trafficking stings target women rather than men, as the article notes):

And not all sex workers were worried about getting busted. David, who sees female clients, said he wasn’t afraid of arrest during Super Bowl week since he knows the target of stings is nearly always female sex workers.
This is probably going to have to be addressed first at the state level to gain traction, as marijuana legalization did, but something has to be done about this. As it is, we're just targeting women who just want to make some money in their preferred field of work.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We're competing with the EU. But now the US's statutory rate is in line with most EU countries, and the wealthy need to have higher taxes to compensate for the 2018 tax cuts. So they can stop bitching.
That tax holiday is fucking bullshit, and like, we did it under Bush so those motherfuckers can't even claim ignorance on what this shit will do.

Seriously, Omar's tweets were sloppy, but the response to them were pretty damn sloppy themselves, and I doubt we're going to get the same apology from them that Omar gave.

[B]Matthew Yglesias[/B]
@mattyglesias

Congressional leaders of both parties really did a good job today of debunking the notion that pro-Israel groups wield disproportionate influence on Capitol Hill.
Just catching up on things, but this tweet pretty much sums up my feelings on the latest de jure controversy that has dominated discussions.

Oct 25, 2017
This was posted in reply to Matt's tweet -
Can amend this to add "stupid" to the bad faith bit:

I think she would have tripped some bad faith alarms regardless of what she said, partly because it's Israel, partly because she's Muslim -- and I don't think she should be scared of tripping those particular alarms. But she tripped too many alarms, some in good faith, by being sloppy in this instance.

Oct 27, 2017
Attacks over antisemitism from the right are double annoying because they only reason they give a damn about Israel in the first place is insofar as it's important to evangelicals' entire apocalypse nonsense and conveniently also aligns with their general disdain for brown people. It's ludicrous.

Oct 25, 2017
Attacks over antisemitism from the right are double annoying because they only reason they give a damn about Israel in the first place is insofar as it's important to evangelicals' entire apocalypse nonsense and conveniently also aligns with their general disdain for brown people. It's ludicrous.
Meanwhile can't denounce literal nazis. This is all a farce.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Given what's gone down today did we ever have a topic covering Kamala's racist campaign flyers during her DA race? I mean surely the people who are certain Omar's comments were antisemitic are absolute furious at Kamala for that bigoted fear-mongering?

Oct 25, 2017
We're competing with the EU. But now the US's statutory rate is in line with most EU countries, and the wealthy need to have higher taxes to compensate for the 2018 tax cuts. So they can stop bitching.
Yeah, they simultaneous spent 6 years bitching about deficits, then did a arguably necessary cut to corporate taxes without any offsets.

100% fucked it up by CUTTING taxes on rich people. Fucking insanity.

Also, Tax Holidays are bullshit with the new reduced rates.

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Flight attendant union calls for general strike if government shuts down again

The president of a union representing nearly 50,000 flight attendants is calling for a public strike if lawmakers aren’t able to reach a funding deal on Friday to keep the government open.

Sara Nelson, the president of the Association of Flight Attendants, told multiple news outlets, including Hill.TV that her union is planning demonstrations in major airports around the country on February 16.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I am ignorant about ADOS thing. Is it some people whom are Black Americans attacking her or something for not represent AAs or something?
From what I understand: the idea is that black Americans descended from slaves are a unique group in the United States that ought to be specifically targeted instead of being offered broad proposals for “minorities”

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure he wants another shutdown. He completely caved on the last one and it's going to look like even more of a shitshow if we have another.

Unless he poison-pills it and funds all agencies except Department of Agriculture (to hold SNAP hostage) and DHS.
That would the ultimate "played yourself" move. I can't believe even he's stupid enough to think he could specifically target SNAP and somehow sell it as the Dems fault.