• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Please Bitch Mitch

BWoog sorry to hear that, hope you're back on your feet in no time.

Republicans continue to stand strong with Trump as he shreds the constitutions and norms. It's all on record especially when the Majority leader is making public statements. They are owning this shit, loudly. It will be much harder in the future for Republicans to argue there was a Trump problem, not a Republican problem.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Just last night the analyst-eratti were saying how McConnell knows they'll be blocking Trump's emergency declaration, so he'll just let Trump do it for now. Right...

How will they block it? McConnell will never allow it to be voted upon, and other Republicans will never force the issue.

We'll get the usual talk, but no action from his enablers.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
How will they block it? McConnell will never allow it to be voted upon, and other Republicans will never force the issue.
If Pelosi passes it in the House, by law it has to come to a vote in the Senate because it's a privileged resolution. He can't block it.

There's a high chance we can get 4 GOP senators to vote against him. Blocking the resolution only requires 51 votes, not 60.

Even though he'll probably veto it, we still want it to be seen passing both chambers.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Indeed, along with "we can get back to normal now".
I think it'll take longer than you fear.

After all, Trump and his cohorts aren't going to be out of the news when they're out of the whitehouse, as we continue investigations and legal proceeding against them etc. Should help keep people focused on how much politics needs to change to guard against the same bullshit. At least for a few years anyway.

Cause you know, he's not going to be 'gone' when he's out of the whitehouse. Not by a long shot.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
But I thought the Texas localities didn't want this either? Are they just assuming that they'll go along with this because "red state" and the Congressional GOP being spineless shits makes them think that all Republicans just fall in line?

And quick construction of what exactly? Last time we checked they didn't even have a workable prototype.

I think it'll be a local police vs. federal forces issue. Local police won't step in front of DoD/Army/Federal troops taking away land. We saw it with the butterfly sanctuary a few weeks ago. The bulldozers will be on standby, and in the middle of the night will cut everything up, a basic fence will be in place and done. It can become a wall later or never. And no court injunction will bring back the park because it'll be too late. A decade of court action that will result in 25k in reparations to the land owner but in reality the loss of irreplaceable heritage sites. It's the same with construction sites where developers "accidentally" or "miscommunicate" with the bulldozer guys, an old building is gone and a huge condo will be in its place.

Trump even has a history with this, with that building facade they were court required to preserve. Someone conveniently "forgot" to tell the demolition guys and so it was gone in a few hours. Then the historical restrictions on the building were gone. There is no recourse for that kind of stuff. And he bragged about it too.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think it'll be a local police vs. federal forces issue. Local police won't step in front of DoD/Army/Federal troops taking away land. We saw it with the butterfly sanctuary a few weeks ago. The bulldozers will be on standby, and in the middle of the night will cut everything up, a basic fence will be in place and done. It can become a wall later or never. And no court injunction will bring back the park because it'll be too late. A decade of court action that will result in 25k in reparations to the land owner but in reality the loss of irreplaceable heritage sites. It's the same with construction sites where developers "accidentally" or "miscommunicate" with the bulldozer guys, an old building is gone and a huge condo will be in its place.

Trump even has a history with this, with that building facade they were court required to preserve. Someone conveniently "forgot" to tell the demolition guys and so it was gone in a few hours. Then the historical restrictions on the building were gone. There is no recourse for that kind of stuff. And he bragged about it too.
That butterfly thing was apparently on federal land. So if true, that's not a good test case.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's gonna be annoying.
Indeed, along with "we can get back to normal now".
I'm hopeful the level of engagement in the 2018 midterms continues as a baseline rather than a Trump-inspired aberration, even if it did take Trump to get us there.

We've had good midterms before, but there's a difference between say, the Democrats getting 42 million votes in 2006 and 60 million votes in 2018.

Anecdotally I've heard many people say something along the lines of "I used to not vote/only voted in presidential elections, but now I realize how important it is and will vote in every election," which is a good first step. The only real question now is whether or not I believe them.

Like, I think we can swing two Senate seats (WI and PA, most likely) in 2022 even with a Democratic president - but only if our base takes those midterms as seriously as Trump's base did last year.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Re: McConnell and the forces of banal political obliviousness in a post Trump reality, if it ever gets here:

What I'd be worried about playing out over the next 20 years is a tremendous mix of political upheaval in the face of catastrophic climate change while billionaires pluck their fiddles from on high. Combine that with 'not Trump, at least' and you get national riots with no clear target, except perhaps the most vulnerable among us.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I've been telling people this every time it comes up.

The "oh thank God, Trump's gone, I don't need to worry about politics anymore" chorus once Trump is out of office is going to be insufferable.
For what it's worth, this has been my argument for the biggest reason he'll likely lose in 2020. Lots of people just want to go back to not hearing about the news 24/7.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
How soon can Pelosi do the vote to cancel the emergency? Then there's like 30 days before McConnell has to give it a vote?

Make sure to scrutinize how she eats it

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
For what it's worth, this has been my argument for the biggest reason he'll likely lose in 2020. Lots of people just want to go back to not hearing about the news 24/7.
Yeah, it probably shakes out in our favor in the short-term. Especially if the Democrat is someone relatively boring (e.g. Biden).

also lol I was looking through House results, I've never looked at them too closely. For all the hype about Ojeda, the D candidate in WV-2 (who I'd never heard of) actually did better than him, only losing by 11 points to Ojeda's 13-point margin. WV-3 is a redder district so that makes sense, but still lol.

Make sure to scrutinize how she eats it

I'm sure she just dug in

tenor.gif

Last edited:

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So maybe some longshot cross your fingers details today. Mueller is doing a sentencing memo for Manafucked. Whitaker isnt there and Barr also isnt there to see it. So maybe he sneak in some good shit DoJ might have blocked otherwise?

Oct 25, 2017
Does Mitchy's press release even matter? Most people don't want the wall. Most people don't want the emergency declaration. They wanted "Democratic intransigence" or whatever LOLworthy phrase he used.

I'm so bored with the dumb shit Mitch says. I'll save my ire for when he breaks government in order to do things like stacking the Supreme Court and forcing future Democratic leadership to just up and ignore their rulings, thus weakening the court and expanding the power of the executive.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I'm a little confused, trying to catch up. Did Trump sign the bill? Did he actually declare emergency yet or is he just saying he's going to still?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans continue to stand strong with Trump as he shreds the constitutions and norms. It's all on record especially when the Majority leader is making public statements. They are owning this shit, loudly. It will be much harder in the future for Republicans to argue there was a Trump problem, not a Republican problem.
McConnell is in his late 70s. In that future, he'll be long dead and the Republicans of then will just dismiss the actions of whatever these fuckers are doing now. It won't even be so much a distancing from them as it'll be some bullshit gaslighting like "Democrats need to stop pointing fingers and focusing on the past, and work with us on moving forward into the future."

Look at Bush. For eight years he was the champion and rallying point of the Republican Party. Today he may as well not even exist. Trent Lott, Dennis Hastert, John Boehner, who the fuck are these people to Republicans now? They've been scrubbed from their collective memories. And by the end of the next decade you'll see the same with Trump and McConnell. There's no reckoning for Republicans in needing to confront or admit that there's "a Republican problem" because they forget their own culpability and own despicable leaders as soon as fucking possible.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
If I make it to die of old age, and Republicans still exist, they will still ignore their entire political history except for Reagan being the best president evar (lol) and did you know Lincoln was a Republican so we aren't actually racist?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally a proposal (non-candidate) putting Medicare 4 Kidz out there-https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org/projects/family-fun-pack/
All individuals below the age of 26 will be eligible to enroll into the Medicare system and receive a comprehensive set of health benefits with no cost-sharing. This would be similar to recent proposals to create a Medicare-for-All system, except it would be limited to the under-26 age group. This is not meant to be an alternative to Medicare-for-All, just a version of it focused specifically on families with children. A Medicare-for-Kids program like this could also be a significant step towards a universal Medicare system.29

It is also worth noting that Medicare-for-Kids would be significantly easier to implement than Medicare-for-All. Children are relatively cheap to insure. In 2012, children received 60 percent less health care spending than non-children on a per-capita basis.30 Put differently: children make up 25 percent of the population but account for less than 12 percent of the personal health care spending. In addition to their low cost, many children are also already publicly insured. In 2016, 40 percent of children received public insurance, mostly from Medicaid and chip.31 Adding the remainder of people under the age of 26, who again are not that expensive to insure, onto the public roles is simply not that big of a leap.
You don't do BBQ in Charleston, tho... You do seafood.
The demographic/campaigning aspects of this are pretty obvious lol
Can someone explain what is happening with turtle and the Green Deal?
Everyone will vote no or present. It's an attempt to try and fracture the caucus but even Bernie knows not to bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.