• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Sanders would be read in or involved in any of the actual shit, so this is probably more to understand what she knew/was told.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I mean the media is still writing articles about him for some reason, like this one from this morning.

So he's being explicit that he's basically a billionaire veto to the democrat's choice.

As for how he's getting so much media attention, he's basically got a leg up from both ends. Schultz hires people with connections that'll work diligently to pull on strings to get airtime, and the most elite journalists are pretty susceptible to complying because they are generally wealthy white metropolitan men who are sympathetic to Schultz's anxiety that neither party is representing them very well anymore.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Schultz should run as a fucking Democrat then. If his whole idea is they need to nominate someone centrist, then he can at least do the dignified thing and lose in the primary instead.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Its a lot of women, shes suck
I don't think Sanders would be read in or involved in any of the actual shit, so this is probably more to understand what she knew/was told.

I believe Sanders has been part of the organisation since early on and latter became the press secretary so shes more involved than people think.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
^^^ haha

That's part of a response I decided not to post yesterday about something completely unrelated lol, eras save feature be silly.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Kaepernick has settled with the NFL too. Looks like they decided to back down and pay him instead shame because I would have loved to see the NFL exposed for the trash they are.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Wait, so what's the National Emergency entail? Is the wall actually happening? Who the fuck is even paying for it?

I've been working since 7AM so I'm tired as hell.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Wait, so what's the National Emergency entail? Is the wall actually happening? Who the fuck is even paying for it?

I've been working since 7AM so I'm tired as hell.
A scam. No. Taxpayers until the courts ordered it halt for being a fake emergency they can't justify.

To add specificity to point 3, the money would come from previously appropriated funds.

-The bulk ($5B) would come from Military Construction funds, which, as it sounds, is a large account used for the construction of physical military infrastructure, like bases.

-Some of it would come from the asset forfeiture fund at the Department of Treasury. This is apparently extremely unpopular in gov't because numerous law enforcement agencies rely on this fund for operations.

-Another large chunk ($2.5B) would get drawn from funds earmarked for drug interdiction. This is the most ironic of the funding streams, because it takes money from legitimate programs to prevent large scale drug smuggling, and reroutes them to a terrible solution that will do nothing to stop drug smuggling.

-Some of the money would come from the CR congress just passed. It was supposed to go to smarter solutions like hiring manpower and increasing electronic surveillance, but YOPO (you're only president once).

The good news is that every one of these poses different challenges to Trump actually accessing the money. Some (like asset forfeiture) have strict rules in place regarding their use, and will draw an almost automatic legal challenge. Others simply have a large pool of potential recipients that won't take kindly to Trump raiding them.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I would think Trump's own words about the wall already being built and working would be used against him as well. How can there be a need for a national emergency to build the wall if the wall is already built?

It will probably work to tie things up in lower courts but SCOTUS ruled in the travel ban that a president's words and actions have no bearing on his ability to exercise power.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
A national emergency declaration also doesn't supersede eminent domain laws, so if it even gets that far, they'll be in court for years with landowners... by which time it'll be moot because Trump will be gone. Remember, we still have eminent domain cases from the Bush years working their way through the system.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, a major issue with that earmarked misappropriated money is this 5.7 billion number they've become fixated on wouldn't fund shit. The actual, entire wall would wind up costing hundreds of billions and years and years, more than Trump would have even with a second term. The seizures of Americans' private lands alone would be years of litigation, maybe even actual decades (I believe there's still cases from the Bush admin over eminent domain yet to finish). Trump would be long dead in a grave of ever present piss and they'd still be litigating.
It would never be finished, and it would undoubtedly be the most corrupt, poorly run project in US history. Imagine the amount of contractors bribing the Trump admin to get deals on the construction or supply, imagine how inefficient the planning or building would be. I'd say it would be years before you even saw a mile of completed wall. They'll never justify this to a court.

They don't even have any design for it and they're demanding money without having any answer for where it's going to. Just a nebulous "wall" abstraction.

I go on and on and on about how stupid this wall is often, because I am regularly struck by its fundamental idiocy as a concept, and how stupid someone would have to be to think any of it would ever happen.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
A national emergency declaration also doesn't supersede eminent domain laws, so if it even gets that far, they'll be in court for years with landowners... by which time it'll be moot because Trump will be gone. Remember, we still have eminent domain cases from the Bush years working their way through the system.

Certainly something we should all remember. There's no way that any significant construction occurs before 2021, so if a D president is elected, they'll simply end the declaration of a state of emergency.

Obviously this will still fuck over a ton of people and waste a ton of money if it gets to that point, so we should really hope for a congressional or SCOTUS solution, ASAP.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
It's not because guessing how Roberts will rule is kinda difficult now.

I suspect Roberts will be with a 5-4 (or just maybe 6-3) majority against the executive on this one. He's very much a due process guy and very protective of the court system - he will not take kindly to this blatant attempt to circumvent the 2nd Circuit.

It's not the same as the VRA decision, and he'd probably take VRA differently were it to come up again - as there would be the new evidence that we've all seen that it wasn't merely based on decades-old data, but that actively diminishing minority votes is an alive and kicking thing.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Now that Schultz's book has been out for 2+ weeks, do you think we will see him ever again
Yes, the threat remains.

People need to abandon Starbucks and continue to denounce this selfish fuck.

Well polling shows that no one likes his politics either.
Yes, but he still splits the vote enough to re-elect Trump.

This shit is serious, even if we think everybody can see how ridiculous this asshole is.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like Schultz is gonna be a pain for a while longer.

"He has paid for internal polling that he says suggest he would be competitive in a three-way race against President Trump and a liberal Democratic candidate such as Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.), Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) or Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

As it stands, Schultz has said he plans to spend the next three to four months exploring a campaign, with an aggressive schedule of book events and media appearances designed to raise his profile. His campaign team has maintained that early internal polling numbers on his potential bid, including a dial-test poll of his performance at a CNN town hall Tuesday, have been promising."

There is absolutely no way legitimate polling showed this.

Status
Not open for further replies.