• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Robert Barnes @scotusreporter

Justice Clarence Thomas calls for reconsidering the landmark libel case NY Times v. Sullivan. https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/021919zor_2dp3.pdf … starts on page 45

9:50 AM - Feb 19, 2019

Mark Joseph Stern @mjs_DC

Clarence Thomas declares war on New York Times v. Sullivan, arguably THE landmark First Amendment ruling of the 20th Century, which strictly limits defamation lawsuits against public figures and officials. (The case at hand is about Bill Cosby.) https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/021919zor_2dp3.pdf …

9:35 AM - Feb 19, 2019

Mark Joseph Stern @mjs_DC

Oh, and who took this case to SCOTUS? None other than Donald Trump's libel lawyer. The president must be very happy with Clarence Thomas today.https://twitter.com/MikeSacksEsq/status/1049346291472453639 …

9:45 AM - Feb 19, 2019
[/SPOILER

Clarence Thomas is the worst thing to happen to the SC in half a century.

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
As far as I'm concerned, Bernie is a bad person for even running this time, instead of realizing it'd be better for America for him to be in a support role this time. The same would go for Biden.

I guess we'll see if the next two years change this view point.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
The Klobuchar stories haven't been a bigger deal because I don't believe anyone has actually gone on the record. You better believe they will later on in the process though. No ones going to take that hit while it doesn't matter.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
The Bernie announcement OT is the shitshow we all knew it would be.

My mind cannot handle a repeat of the 2016 primary. I will stop going online if it gets that bad again.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

@axios
NEW: Trump will sign a directive today to formally establish the early version of a Space Force. For now, it will live within the Air Force. https://www.axios.com/trump-creates-space-force-within-air-f
09:52 - 19 Feb 2019

Live look at early recruiting efforts:

mKpHeQ2.jpg

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Two decades ago, the editor of the tiny Democrat-Reporter newspaper in Linden, Alabama, was being talked about as a potential contender for the Pulitzer Prize. A congressional citation read on the floor of the House of Representatives in 1998 lauded "his truly American heroism and dedication to the truth" and called him "one of Alabama's finest and most ethical journalists." Glowing profiles in The New York Times, People magazine and the American Journalism Review highlighted his tenacious reporting and down-home Southern charm.

Now, Goodloe Sutton is back in the news again - this time because he recently called for mass lynchings and suggested that the Ku Klux Klan should return to "clean out" Washington.
https://m.sfgate.com/news/article/An-Alabama-newspaper-editor-wants-to-bring-back-13627025.php

Damn, what a heel turn.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Another vote for:
Harris
Warren
Gillibrand

Warren is my favorite person in the race, but I worry that she won't be able to win the primary, let alone the general.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love him or hate him, once his campaign gets going he will be a force to be reckoned with. Will be interesting to see how the current front-runners like Harris react in the coming weeks.
I fully expect to see progressive-lite campaigns like Harris and Booker start to crib from Bernies fairly comprehensive policy position statement.

If nothing else, he's going to force the majority of the candidate to take a position on some things they haven't talked about yet. This isn't a bad thing, and Bernie will very likely wash out before it's over for a variety of reasons.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Trump appointees promoted nuclear sales to Saudi Arabia over senior officials' objections, according to report from House Democrats

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
We all know Trump is more scared of Harris than anyone else and honestly he should be.

Hell he should be scared of ANY prosecutor.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Voting mainly by who I believe would have the best shot at winning at this point in time:
1. Beto
2. Harris
3. Bernie

1 & 2 are honestly tied. I'd be really happy with either.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017

Trump appointees promoted nuclear sales to Saudi Arabia over senior officials' objections, according to report from House Democrats

Like so much of the news on this administration, my reaction is simply, "Well, of course they did." There is little in the behavior of Trump and his cronies that you would not have been able to predict in 2016.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to seeing people that went after Pelosi for her age during the run-up to electing a speaker have absolutely no problem with Bernie being the same age.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I fully expect to see progressive-lite campaigns like Harris and Booker start to crib from Bernies fairly comprehensive policy position statement.

If nothing else, he's going to force the majority of the candidate to take a position on some things they haven't talked about yet. This isn't a bad thing, and Bernie will very likely wash out before it's over for a variety of reasons.
According to this, this is Bernie's campaign platform:

- Medicare 4 All
- Green New Deal/climate
- $15 min wage
- Criminal justice reform
- Free college
- Break up biggest banks
- Gender pay equity
- Paid leave
- Drug prices
- Expand Social Security
- Save unions
- DREAM Act
Apart from FIRST WE'RE GONNA BREAK UP DA BANKS, I'm not really seeing the difference between this and Harris' platform?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Comprehensive? Where?

Bernie's lack of specifics on a wide variety of policy positions in favor of sloganeering is his biggest weakness.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to this, this is Bernie's campaign platform:

Apart from FIRST WE'RE GONNA BREAK UP DA BANKS, I'm not really seeing the difference between this and Harris' platform?

I mean, that's the truth there. The platforms are pretty indistinguishable. Now it's just a battle of values and personality.

Also, he doesn't want to get rid of the filibuster either, so none of the platform stuff really matters.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry dudes I find the 'i have no idea why the abusive boss stuff isn't sticking to Klobuchar' reactions kinda basic.

To have any real impact, the allegations were launched too early. She is still basically a complete unknown/zero name recognition outside of the MSNBC set. The timing was intended to scare her off before announcing but nothing is sticking because nobody currently propping her up has any incentive to run the story -- specifically because nobody knows who tf she is.

She's weathering the initial controversy, which if this era is anything to go by, is good enough. Never apologize, never step down. 30-40 years from now that will be the greatest poli sci lesson from this stupid time. If you just get through the rough part, something worse will happen to somebody else and the forces of responsibility will have moved on.

This is absolutely stupid that it's true. Kavanaugh got in and was confirmed with shit-eating grins that I won't ever fucking forget. Northam somehow has survived repeatedly falling on his face exposing his ass as a dumb racist. No one is fucking talking about Fairfax.

Fuck this, man.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The Bernie announcement OT is the shitshow we all knew it would be.

My mind cannot handle a repeat of the 2016 primary. I will stop going online if it gets that bad again.
You couldn't pay me to go into that thread :lol

I mean, that's the truth there. The platforms are pretty indistinguishable. Now it's just a battle of values and personality.

Also, he doesn't want to get rid of the filibuster either, so none of the platform stuff really matters.

Didn't realize Bernie also came out against eliminating the filibuster. Would've figured he'd be one of the few, maybe the only, to actually support getting rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.