• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
He literally said that he would stop the sale of assault rifles in his account video.
EDIT: And also distribution.

Assault rifles is a nebulous term and wouldn't actually significantly impact most gun violence in the country. Semiautomatic pistols are the most lethal category.

Again, try running on that platform and see what happens. It's a national non starter. You are living in another realm if you think this is a remote possibility within the next 20 years.

I didn't see people demand he outright ban pistols. But if you're going to have gun control as part of your platform you better have something a bit stronger than "assault rifles bad".

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie is the only candidate I would never vote for in the primary (I don't think Tulsi makes it to the ballot).

If he somehow won the primary, then you just do what you have to do. He'd not make a good president, though.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Thinking about it and I guess these would be my Democratic primary preference power rankings:

1. Warren
2. Harris
3. Gillibrand
4. Buttigieg
5. Sanders
6. Castro
7. Booker
8. Klobuchar
9. Delaney
10. Literal shit
11. Gabbard

I'd probably slot O'Rourke above Gillibrand, Brown above Sanders, Biden above Booker, and Bloomberg above Literal shit.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
My two priorities would be electoral reform and climate change. They're the two most urgent issues. Electoral reform is an easy number one though, none of the other issues can be adequately addressed without it.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that is what I was thinking of when I was talking about pistols. Aren't pistols responsibility for most homicide and suicide deaths?

Absolutely. Assault Rifles are responsible for most mass shootings.

Any gun control platform has to run on both, but you can't ban pistols. You can push for more regulation and background checks though.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Short was a paid contributor on CNN:

Michael C. Bender @MichaelCBender

Marc Short had been blamed by Trump by name inside the White House for the admin's failure to secure more border wall money sooner. But the two patched things up, in part bc POTUS was pleased after watching Short's repeated defense of him on CNN. https://www.wsj.com/articles/pence-hires-former-white-house-aide-marc-short-as-staff-chief-11550594161 …

11:56 AM - Feb 19, 2019

WSJ: Pence Hires Former White House Aide Marc Short as Staff Chief

Vice President Mike Pence has named Marc Short his chief of staff, making the former Trump White House legislative-affairs director the first senior administration official to return to the West Wing under President Trump.
Mr. Short most recently was a senior fellow at the Miller Center of Public Affairs and a political contributor on CNN. He was an adviser to Mr. Pence during the 2016 campaign and joined the administration on inauguration day as Mr. Trump's top liaison to Capitol Hill.
He left the White House last summer, lamenting to colleagues the "diminishing returns" of pushing the president's agenda through a Republican-controlled Congress as the midterm elections approached.
After his departure, Mr. Short was occasionally blamed by name by the president for the administration's failure to secure more money to pay for a border wall, White House officials said. But that relationship has been repaired in recent weeks due in large part to Mr. Short's defense of Mr. Trump on CNN, appearances the president has kept an eye on, officials said.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie's not picking Tulsi as his running mate

because he's already got Nina Turner on standby

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
No shade to Bernie because I said this after Booker's announcement, but...

What's with all these 2+ minute, cinematic color-graded, full orchestra soundtrack, Sundance wannabe campaign videos?

Are people really sitting through these? Because after '16 I can't.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
1. Harris has really impressed me despite starting from someone who was only a blip on the radar to me in a year of a million candidates.

2. Warren may arguably be preferable for policy, but she strikes me as more of a wonk than a charismatic. If she wins, hey, great.

3. Gillibrand, I suppose. Only a year or two ago she was demonstrating phenomenal political instincts in constantly positioning herself ahead of the curve, but she's not as on top of it these days it seems.

HM: Pete Buttigieg. Agree with everything he says, but I wish he at least had held some statewide office.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that sticks out about the Bernie announcement is this. It's the smallest thing but it hit me hard this morning. My wife had on local news for a weather update (we're getting like round ten of ice and snow) and sure enough at the bottom of the screen is a ticker with national news. You know what stuck out to me?

"VT Senator Bernie Sanders →(I) announces his run for President in the 2020 election."

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I've been unimpressed and, honestly a bit worried because the general vibe I've gotten so far from people so far was that all the candidates were falling flat with people. I've already seen more excitement for this announcement than I think I've seen for anyone else

People here seem upset but we're a bunch of out of touch weirdos so

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been unimpressed and, honestly a bit worried because the general vibe I've gotten so far from people so far was that all the candidates were falling flat with people. I've already seen more excitement for this announcement than I think I've seen for anyone else

I dunno, I think Harris got a lot of pop on her announcement.

Oct 25, 2017
I think that is what I was thinking of when I was talking about pistols. Aren't pistols responsibility for most homicide and suicide deaths?

Yep.

AR-15s have gotten a lot of press because it's certainly easier to kill lots of people accurately with a semiautomatic rifle-style weapon and they've been a feature of more recent mass shootings (and it'd probably be easier to regulate them versus pistols as a broad category) but it's still not in the same league.

Gun violence in America is a bit weird in that mass shootings are a uniquely American problem due to our gun laws, but the mass shootings themselves are merely the attention-grabbing parts of a much bigger iceberg.

divination

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who was not a fan of Bernie in 2016, but would say they're "Bernie curious" this go around, I refuse to enter the Bernie thread in OT lol. I'm just starting to warm to the guy and I dont want blind adoration/hatred to color my opinions this early out.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie already broke Kamala's donation record in just a few hours. He's going to be burning money all the way through to the convention attacking every other Dem candidate with alot of finger wagging and 99%ing. Get ready.

-edit- awesome that CNN is hiring all these hard R fucks to control their 2020 coverage.

Oct 25, 2017

Kamala has gotten a lot of pop. Honestly we're still early on. People aren't really going to be paying attention until the first debate.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We will get headlines about how Bernie might win this time and that the other Dem candidates don't have "progressive" policies.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017

The vibe you're feeling is called fear. Fear of winning but still losing, fear of another Hillary, another Bernie, another election swung by social media ops. Fear of centrists throwing the election. Fear of going too far left and also throwing the election. Fear of candidates focusing on the wrong thing with everything (!) on their platform is life or death urgent.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
A universal background check requirement and a state/national inventory with no family exceptions would be an initial place to make significant impact. Regardless of types of weapon.

Last edited:

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Short was a paid contributor on CNN:

Michael C. Bender @MichaelCBender

Marc Short had been blamed by Trump by name inside the White House for the admin's failure to secure more border wall money sooner. But the two patched things up, in part bc POTUS was pleased after watching Short's repeated defense of him on CNN. https://www.wsj.com/articles/pence-hires-former-white-house-aide-marc-short-as-staff-chief-11550594161 …

11:56 AM - Feb 19, 2019

Yeah, this guy isn't a piece of cake to manipulate.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Bernie already broke Kamala's donation record in just a few hours. He's going to be burning money all the way through to the convention attacking every other Dem candidate with alot of finger wagging and 99%ing. Get ready.

-edit- awesome that CNN is hiring all these hard R fucks to control their 2020 coverage.

He out-raised Hillary in 16.

Money doesn't replace effective campaigning and actually reaching out to key constituencies.*

*Yes, I'm aware of the irony here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I was heartened that Jeff Weaver was not going to be managing Bernie's 2020 campaign and that he'd be able to upgrade to better staffers this time around. But if Bernie's pollster has him *winning West Virginia* and the people around him are saying shit like this:
They're not just talking about West Virginia. Some in the Sanders camp envision possibly making a play for Iowa, Ohio, and Indiana, as well as states such as Kansas, North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Montana — six states that, together, have voted for the Democratic nominee just twice in the past half-century.

Then I think his staffing is taking a step backwards :lol

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

I can't wait to hear BILLIONAIRE CLASS for the millionth fucking time

Everyone else is inauthentic and impure part 2 boogaloo.

LOL

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Exclusive first look at the Space Force camo jump suits. What do y'all think?

#sorrynotsorry
qylxggu.gif

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
The thing that excites me about the crop of candidates that had announced before Bernie, is that I can really picture everyone getting along and having fairly substantive debates on the issues. I worry a lot about what happens when you get a candidate in the race that whips up his base about 'rigged primaries' and everything else. Then again, it's a lot harder for Bernie to scream about the establishment picking favorites when the field is so big.

Last edited:

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
here is the full question of the Klobberer herself.

Ho hum.

Having high expectations on others is not the same thing as having an ok card for being abusive and exhibiting impulse control issues.

And to spin on another poster here regarding Klobber wanting to look professional by projecting not having a personal life outside of work.

https://hbr.org/2016/10/great-performers-make-their-personal-lives-a-priority

As contrast, Kamala seems like a great high performing leader, that also puts high demands on her staff. Who uses it to inspire her staff, and drives them without the abuse that a certain other lady likes to use.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that excites me about the crop of candidates that had announced before Bernie, is that I can really picture everyone getting along and having a fairly substantive debates on the issues. I worry a lot about what happens when you get a candidate in the race that whips up his base about 'rigged primaries' and everything else. Then again, it's a lot harder for Bernie to scream about the establishment picking favorites when the field is so big.

I mean, his minions at least can't complain ad nauseum about super delegates this time.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm more PoliERA Casual, but a few stray observations:

Not that this place is representative of the primary electorate, but judging from responses, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Kamala/Warren split in Iowa/NH. I don't know if its true of the Dem primary, but on the GOP side of things, the eventual nom goes to a perosn who won one of those two states going back a few decades, I think.

I'm not sure how much to read into Bernie's fundraising. He's by far the most well known in the field, and as 2016 evinced, he also has some of the most devoted followers.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
"I was there first" is like campaigning 101 lol -- everyone that can do it does it because it's so obvious

That's not a substantive response...at all.

In such a crowded primary, this is probably going to be the most asked question. Hopefully his team comes up with something better than, "I did it first!"
The more fleshed out pitch is in that flashy campaign vid. The idea is that he's the one that shifted the party so he's the one fit to lead it. Not saying that's necessarily a winning message but if he doesn't want to move even further left then it's very sensible to take this approach.

And Bernie outwardly acknowledging that the party has moved to him is probably good for unity.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I don't care that much if Bernie won the primary, but I do prefer other candidates. The candidates have largely similar policies with the difference being how they go about implementing them. I don't think policy is going to matter too much. 2020 will possibly be more about Trump/Russian investigations and Russia depending on what happens this year.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
I tired of Bernie's constant repetition of this message, but I actually hope he and others keep it up going into 2020. The Democratic nominee will potentially be running against two ostensible billionaires, so it will be an effective message.

I'm just so fucking tired of hearing it. I liked his policy ideas in 2016 but he did nothing to inspire me.

Status
Not open for further replies.