• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I have no clue how anyone could be for a candidate who would turn 80 years old the same year he takes office. You're essentially voting for the VP at that point.

Oct 27, 2017
Ho hum.

Having high expectations on others is not the same thing as having an ok card for being abusive and exhibiting impulse control issues.

And to spin on another poster here regarding Klobber wanting to look professional by projecting not having a personal life outside of work.

https://hbr.org/2016/10/great-performers-make-their-personal-lives-a-priority

As contrast, Kamala seems like a great high performing leader, that also puts high demands on her staff. Who uses it to inspire her staff, and drives them without the abuse that a certain other lady likes to use.

Curious to know if Klobuchar is making available for interviews the staff she says she loves. Or the person in the audience screaming and leading the applause.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This hot take is all over the internet this morning despite it begging the OPPOSITE question :

"Why are you supporting Kamala/Warren /Gillibrand /Beto /Whoever when they have almost the same policy positions as Bernie!?"

um.. because they're not really old men with tons of real, recent and rhetorical baggage who are hiding their tax returns for some specific but secret reason. Oh and because they're actually part of the democratic party.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
This hot take is all over the internet this morning despite it begging the OPPOSITE question :

"Why are you supporting Kamala/Warren /Gillibrand /Beto /Whoever when they have almost the same policy positions as Bernie!?"

um.. because they're not really old men with tons of real, recent and rhetorical baggage who are hiding their tax returns for some specific but secret reason. Oh and because they're actually part of the democratic party.

Or, just to flip the question, "Why are you supporting Bernie when Kamala/Warren/Gillibrand/Beto whoever is nowhere near as likely to die in office?"

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

He's such a selfish dick. It's been plain from the start that he thinks he owns progressivism.
Pretty much. There is a graceful way to say what he's saying, that you were there in the early days and whatnot, but to use it agressively means to me that he still has not learned any lessons from 2016 and is increasingly out of touch with the very movement he's claiming.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, Bernie is a bad person for even running this time, instead of realizing it'd be better for America for him to be in a support role this time. The same would go for Biden.

I guess we'll see if the next two years change this view point.
+1

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

WHAT? Ex-Jeff Sessions spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores is joining CNN as a political editor. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/19/sessions-sarah-isgur-cnn-political-editor-1174527 …

11:25 AM - Feb 19, 2019

Matthew Yglesias @mattyglesias

Donald Trump being in office is good for CNN executives and for the executives at the larger AT&T conglomerate, and they are hiring Jeff Sessions' top flack to help run their 2020 coverage.https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/19/sessions-sarah-isgur-cnn-political-editor-1174527 …

11:33 AM - Feb 19, 2019

Politico: Ex-Sessions spokeswoman to join CNN as political editor
President Donald Trump has derided CNN as a leading purveyor of "fake news," and now, a recently departed administration official is joining the network in a senior role.
Sarah Isgur, who served as the Justice Department's leading spokeswoman under Attorney General Jeff Sessions, is joining the network as a political editor next month, where she will coordinate political coverage for the 2020 campaign.
---------------------------------​
While it is common for departing administration officials to join cable news networks as analysts or contributors, it is less common for them to oversee news coverage. Isgur has no experience in news but a long history as a political operative, most recently with the Trump administration and the Fiorina campaign. Before that, she worked for the Republican National Committee and on Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential campaign, according to her LinkedIn profile. She began working with Sessions before his confirmation hearing, guiding him through the process and preparing with him in mock hearings.

what the fuck

Everyone else is inauthentic and impure part 2 boogaloo.

Fuck off.

Also, hey Bernie, can we do the same on the gun control issue?

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017

To which I could just answer with "I prefer Kamala/Warren/etc over Bernie any day. I'm not obligated to support Bernie just because."

And they'll just have to live with my decision.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The "I was there first" attack might work against someone like Gillibrand or Booker, but I don't any you can credibly lay claim to being the OG progressive when you're running against someone like Warren.

I hate this argument anyway because it ties the value of the party's leftward policy shift to exactly one person and not, you know, the value of those left-moving policies!

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. There is a graceful way to say what he's saying, that you were there in the early days and whatnot, but to use it agressively means to me that he still has not learned any lessons from 2016 and is increasingly out of touch with the very movement he's claiming.
You guys are taking a few words from an interview and running with it with 2016 baggage. Maybe he was super aggressive on SiriusXM, I haven't listened to that interview, but watch this CBS interview -- he's either all over the place or the SiriusXM quote is taken out of context and he actually did learn the lessons you're talking about.

Dickerson puts out some bait and he doesn't take it: 3:24, 6:29, 14:50

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/bernie-sanders-announces-2020-run-extended-interview/

Last edited:

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd appreciate it if one of the candidates came out for ranked choice voting for federal elections.

Also, jokes aside, my #1 is Warren, but my fear is that the campaign would be a special brand of vile and I don't know if I want that.

Probably Harris after that.

I really like Buttigieg but I'd rather he get a little more seasoning first.

Oct 25, 2017
So I was curious -- can PoliERA do me a favor and rank their top 3 Dem primary choices? I've done the major candidates plus the major ones who are going to announce. Quote to get the link! I'm just curious, might do this every month or so.

For me, it's:

1. Warren
2. Buttigieg
3. Castro

That's just from a "sounds good so far" point of view. Everyone else is in firm "hold my nose and vote for them in the general" territory.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I do not like Bernard Sanders. At all.

I will not vote for Bernard Sanders in the primary.

If he wins the primary, I will happily vote for Bernard Sanders in the general because I hate Trump and all the pain this administration has caused. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment and would tell everyone I know to vote for him, too. I'm not sure how that's even a question.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

If he wins the primary, I will happily vote for Bernard Sanders in the general because I hate Trump and all the pain this administration has caused. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment and would tell everyone I know to vote for him, too. I'm not sure how that's even a question.
It shouldn't be for anyone.

But it will be for some sadly.

Jan 29, 2018

Basically where I'm at. I just hope the Democratic candidates don't damage each other too much.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I think we've allowed Trump's demonizing blind us to the fact that CNN really is garbage.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not like Bernie Sanders at all. I think is a a rude, selfish, entitled, out of touch asshole.

I would vote for him in the general without hesitation.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I'd appreciate it if one of the candidates came out for ranked choice voting for federal elections.

Also, jokes aside, my #1 is Warren, but my fear is that the campaign would be a special brand of vile and I don't know if I want that.

Probably Harris after that.

I really like Buttigieg but I'd rather he get a little more seasoning first.
Can you do that? Aren't states allowed to run it as they see fit?

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Or, just to flip the question, "Why are you supporting Bernie when Kamala/Warren/Gillibrand/Beto whoever is nowhere near as likely to die in office?"

because Bernie "means it" and the others are just "pandering", establishment, in the pocket of big oil, etc. Is basically how these things go. Not much use engaging imo.

Then again, it's a lot harder for Bernie to scream about the establishment picking favorites when the field is so big.

For the most strident of his supporters (on Twitter at least), field size is irrelevant, everyone but Bernie is the "anointed" choice of the establishment, with their fire trained especially on whoever's getting some attention today, retweeting Trump supporters unironically. Those people probably won't be convinced otherwise. Fortunately the Twitter bubble does not reflect the electorate (nor does ERA)—frankly I think the vast majority of Dems just want to win now.

Can't speak for the man himself, hopefully he won't be shouting rigged this time if he starts losing, we really don't need that again.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Or respond less adversarially and say you like how Bernie has shifted the party but stuff like his age is a concern and you'd feel more comfortable with someone younger and without some of his baggage taking his strong progressive vision forward.

Want a less divisive primary in 2020? Emphasize the candidates' alignment with each other more than their differences.

Last edited:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Can you do that? Aren't states allowed to run it as they see fit?

Don't know. Doesn't mean you can't at least get people talking about it.

Short was a paid contributor on CNN:

Michael C. Bender @MichaelCBender

Marc Short had been blamed by Trump by name inside the White House for the admin's failure to secure more border wall money sooner. But the two patched things up, in part bc POTUS was pleased after watching Short's repeated defense of him on CNN. https://www.wsj.com/articles/pence-hires-former-white-house-aide-marc-short-as-staff-chief-11550594161 …

11:56 AM - Feb 19, 2019

WSJ: Pence Hires Former White House Aide Marc Short as Staff Chief

Vice President Mike Pence has named Marc Short his chief of staff, making the former Trump White House legislative-affairs director the first senior administration official to return to the West Wing under President Trump.
Mr. Short most recently was a senior fellow at the Miller Center of Public Affairs and a political contributor on CNN. He was an adviser to Mr. Pence during the 2016 campaign and joined the administration on inauguration day as Mr. Trump's top liaison to Capitol Hill.
He left the White House last summer, lamenting to colleagues the "diminishing returns" of pushing the president's agenda through a Republican-controlled Congress as the midterm elections approached.
After his departure, Mr. Short was occasionally blamed by name by the president for the administration's failure to secure more money to pay for a border wall, White House officials said. But that relationship has been repaired in recent weeks due in large part to Mr. Short's defense of Mr. Trump on CNN, appearances the president has kept an eye on, officials said.

Fake news, trump doesn't watch cnn /s

Oct 25, 2017
Four years ago Jeb was the Republican front runner

giphy.gif

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

How is this even a thing?

JUST IN: Democrats on the House Oversight Committee have released an interim report based on multiple whistleblowers who say the Trump administration is rushing to transfer sensitive U.S. nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia in violation of federal law.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

@ShimonPro
This is why SDNY is acting fiercely independent and why people close to Trump fear those investigations more than Mueller.

Intimidation, Pressure and Humiliation: Inside Trump's Two-Year War on the Investigations Encircling Him via @NYTimes Intimidation, Pressure and Humiliation: Inside Trump's Two-Year War on the Investigations Encircling Him …

13:19 - 19 Feb 2019
@rebeccaballhaus
Trump asked Matthew Whitaker last year if Geoff Berman—an ex-law partner of Rudy Giuliani and a Trump ally—could be put in charge of the SDNY investigation into Michael Cohen, from which Berman had recused himself. @markmazzetti & co. > https://nyti.ms/2V9htqR

13:21 - 19 Feb 2019

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

How is this even a thing?

JUST IN: Democrats on the House Oversight Committee have released an interim report based on multiple whistleblowers who say the Trump administration is rushing to transfer sensitive U.S. nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia in violation of federal law.

It's possible the Saudis have business dirt (possible crimes he committed before being president) on Trump too and he's not just compromised by the Russians.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017

This is me as well.

If Bernie manages to get the nomination, I'll just deal with it and vote for him. "If" being the key term as I'm not gonna contribute to a vote in his direction during the primary.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Or respond less adversarially and say you like how Bernie has shifted the party but stuff like his age is a concern and you'd feel more comfortable with someone younger and without some of his baggage taking his strong progressive vision forward.

Want a less divisive primary in 2020? Emphasize the candidates' alignment with each other more than their differences.

I don't have time to coddle people, especially Bernie Bros. I liked Bernie in 2016 and would have voted for him, despite his age. Putting an 80 year old in the White House for his first term is nuts.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I think we've allowed Trump's demonizing blind us to the fact that CNN really is garbage.

It's a deliberate effect of a demagogue.

It's a tactic of a demagogue to take a common thing people have disliked for decades (such as cable news' sensationalist tactics to fill airtime and keep viewers engaged), but reframe and magnify it in a more sinister and self-serving way ("fake news", "enemy of the people", "unfair criticism", etc.) and muddy the waters.

People feel a sense of cognitive dissonance trying to save the fourth estate. Defending CNN against the mountain of bullshit flung by Trump practically means you have to imply CNN is a paragon of journalism. Same thing happens with the New York Times.

I hope we can have the clarity to remember CNN on a garbage day is still more honest than the Trump admin on a day they think God's watching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.