• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ValiantChaos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans have spent years pushing city, county, and state level candidates hoping it would push policy and ideals to the right, spending millions of dollars pushing state legislatures and governorship's into positions to gerrymander states into Republican majorities. Kansas might have 2 if not 3 democratic representatives rather than 1 if not for the redistricting. It's paid off in spades now that the courts are being packed with political lackeys that get lifetime appointments that will have effects that will last decades.

I don't think gerrymandering has anything to do with Democrats not having 2 or 3 representatives. The state has been blood shot red since 1861. Last I checked Republican outnumber democrats there 3-1. The only times we ever have won there were through one shot anomalys.

The Kansas Republican Party has dominated Kansas politics since Kansas statehood in 1861. Kansas has had 45 governors: 32 Republicans, 11 Democrats and 2 Populists. Kansas has had 33 U.S. Senators: 28 Republicans, 3 Democrats, and 2 Populists. The last time a Democrat was elected to the U.S. Senate from Kansas was in 1932. Since 1960, the Republicans have won 102 of 129 Congressional elections and have won 69 of 90 statewide elections. The Democrats have won control of the Kansas Senate only in the 1912 election and control of the Kansas House only three times in the 1912, 1976, and 1990 elections. Beginning with the 1968 election, Kansas has consistently voted for the Republican Presidential candidate and since 1860 has voted for the Republican presidential candidate 20 times, the Democrat six times and the Populist candidate once.
After the 2016 elections, Kansas was one of the few states with all its federal and statewide elected officials from the Republican Party. From the 2010 to the 2016 elections, Republicans went 32-0 in Kansas's federal and statewide elections.
Currently, of the 1.74 million registered voters in Kansas, about 45% registered as members of the Republican Party, about 25% registered as members of the Democratic Party, and about 30% registered as unaffiliated with any political party

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_Republican_Party

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Wait, Trump's blown through 100 million already?! Jesus.

It's not helped his poll numbers in the slightest lmao

I'm wondering how long people can keep dumping money into him. Over a long enough timeline those donations have to stop coming in, that's a big part of why politicians generally have to pick and choose when to fundraise.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
— the CNN new political editor story really is all sorts of fucky.

— anyone also assume Trump spending $100M includes like $99M in graft and self enrichment?

— the McCabe storyline is the hardest to follow so far. He's not Comey or Rosenstein but was there for all the same scenes?

— I'm pretty wary of the "if you think Trump is a Russian asset the American people need to know immmediately" narrative and it should be treated like the FUD that it is. That argument is intended to suggest they don't actually have anything while buying time with the remaining 1-4% of people who aren't already convinced. Watch the people who are saying this.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

It's nice to see that people outside the US care about americans.

It sure is. I hate seeing the NHS demonized and I've done my part to put people straight when they start spouting stories about how terrible healthcare is in the UK.

Still, if I got a phonecall from one of these people, I'd cut them off, ask them if they voted to leave the EU and hang up if they did.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sympathetic at all to McCabe. And the book excerpts I've read don't exactly paint him in a flattering light. This bit is a perfect example:

Eventually [Trump] changed the subject. He said that he wanted to come to FBI headquarters to see people and excite them and show them how much he loves the FBI. He pressed me to answer whether I thought it was a good idea. I said it was always a good idea to visit. I was trying to take some of the immediacy out of his proposal—to communicate that the door was always open, so that he wouldn't feel he had to crash through it right away. I knew what a disaster it could turn out to be if he came to the Hoover Building in the near future. He pressed further, asking specifically, Do you think it would be a good idea for me to come down now? I said, Sure.

Trump is asking if he should visit the FBI. McCabe apparently anguishes over this inside his head, knowing how awful it'll be for the agents whose boss he just fired and is publicly shitting on and also how Trump is going to use the setting as a photo opp for himself (and to shit on Comey some more). Rather than say anything about any possible reason about how, hey, maybe we can wait a week or so before touching that livewire again, McCabe's only two responses are "Good idea" and "Sure." He repeatedly internalizes how problematic, at best, anything Trump says or does is but does absolutely nothing about it, and instead gives off the exact opposite impression. How is this behavior any different from the Gary Cohns and Rex Tillersons and HR McMasters that are regularly derided for their cowardice and dereliction of duty?

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sympathetic at all to McCabe. And the book excerpts I've read don't exactly paint him in a flattering light. This bit is a perfect example:

Trump is asking if he should visit the FBI. McCabe apparently anguishes over this inside his head, knowing how awful it'll be for the agents whose boss he just fired and is publicly shitting on and also how Trump is going to use the setting as a photo opp for himself (and to shit on Comey some more). Rather than say anything about any possible reason about how, hey, maybe we can wait a week or so before touching that livewire again, McCabe's only two responses are "Good idea" and "Sure." He repeatedly internalizes how problematic, at best, anything Trump says or does is but does absolutely nothing about it. How is this behavior any different from the Gary Cohns and Rex Tillersons and HR McMasters that are regularly derided for their cowardice and dereliction of duty?
The entire era is decorated with these figures and these storylines. Is it the courage to stand up and lose your power to protect the republic or the courage to hold strong? Gonna be pretty hard to figure out who the heroes and cowards inside the machine were for a long time to come.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

Trump is asking if he should visit the FBI. McCabe apparently anguishes over this inside his head, knowing how awful it'll be for the agents whose boss he just fired and is publicly shitting on and also how Trump is going to use the setting as a photo opp for himself (and to shit on Comey some more). Rather than say anything about any possible reason about how, hey, maybe we can wait a week or so before touching that livewire again, McCabe's only two responses are "Good idea" and "Sure." He repeatedly internalizes how problematic, at best, anything Trump says or does is but does absolutely nothing about it, and instead gives off the exact opposite impression. How is this behavior any different from the Gary Cohns and Rex Tillersons and HR McMasters that are regularly derided for their cowardice and dereliction of duty?
Trump is the 800 lbs gorilla in the room. When you're part of the apparatus he hates and distrusts and you're trying to preserve an investigation into whether he's compromised, unless you're some psychological master, of course you're going to play along with him.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

First time he's said enemy of the people?

>

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Is this the first time Trump has singled out a specific media outlet as an "enemy of the people," rather than "fake news" generally? It is bad.
dz2p6ymwkaywxz-odkur.jpg

Here's the other time Trump identified specific outlets as enemies of the people. This was the first time he singled out one alone. pic.twitter.com/PnMkWNvckI
dz2rlthw0aadipmx3jyt.jpg

9:05 AM - Feb 20, 2019

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Josh Rogin @joshrogin

Lindsey Graham told Acting Defense Secretary Shanahan if Trump completely withdraws from Syria: "That's the dumbest fucking idea I've ever heard... I am now your adversary, not your friend." https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/20/inside-patrick-shanahans-clash-with-congress-munich-over-syria/?utm_term=.89bf4f0d132b … @washingtonpost

9:18 AM - Feb 20, 2019

WaPo Op-ed: Inside Patrick Shanahan's clash with Congress in Munich over Syria
Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), the leader of the main congressional delegation, pressed Shanahan on whether he was telling European officials in Munich that the full U.S. withdrawal from Syria was a done deal.
"Are you telling our allies that we are going to go to zero by April 30?" he asked Shanahan, according to Graham.
"Yes, that's been our direction [from the president]," Shanahan replied.
"That's the dumbest f---ing idea I've ever heard," Graham responded.
Graham then launched into a list of consequences he feared would result from a precipitous U.S. withdrawal from Syria without a follow-up plan: The Islamic State would return, Turkey would attack Kurdish forces, Iran would gain the advantage. Graham asked Shanahan if he disagreed with that analysis.
"That could very well happen," Shanahan said.
"Well, if the policy is going to be that we are leaving by April 30, I am now your adversary, not your friend," Graham told the acting Pentagon chief, according to Graham. (Several other lawmakers confirmed this exchange.)
Graham's alternative idea, which he spent the weekend pitching in Europe, is for European countries to contribute hundreds of new troops to build a safe zone on the Syrian side of the Turkish border. This zone would keep the Islamic State from returning and provide a buffer between Turkish troops and the mostly Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces that the United States trained and armed (but now seems poised to abandon).

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Josh Rogin @joshrogin

Lindsey Graham told Acting Defense Secretary Shanahan if Trump completely withdraws from Syria: "That's the dumbest fucking idea I've ever heard... I am now your adversary, not your friend." https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/20/inside-patrick-shanahans-clash-with-congress-munich-over-syria/?utm_term=.89bf4f0d132b … @washingtonpost

9:18 AM - Feb 20, 2019

WaPo Op-ed: Inside Patrick Shanahan's clash with Congress in Munich over Syria
Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), the leader of the main congressional delegation, pressed Shanahan on whether he was telling European officials in Munich that the full U.S. withdrawal from Syria was a done deal.
"Are you telling our allies that we are going to go to zero by April 30?" he asked Shanahan, according to Graham.
"Yes, that's been our direction [from the president]," Shanahan replied.
"That's the dumbest f---ing idea I've ever heard," Graham responded.
Graham then launched into a list of consequences he feared would result from a precipitous U.S. withdrawal from Syria without a follow-up plan: The Islamic State would return, Turkey would attack Kurdish forces, Iran would gain the advantage. Graham asked Shanahan if he disagreed with that analysis.
"That could very well happen," Shanahan said.
"Well, if the policy is going to be that we are leaving by April 30, I am now your adversary, not your friend," Graham told the acting Pentagon chief, according to Graham. (Several other lawmakers confirmed this exchange.)
Graham's alternative idea, which he spent the weekend pitching in Europe, is for European countries to contribute hundreds of new troops to build a safe zone on the Syrian side of the Turkish border. This zone would keep the Islamic State from returning and provide a buffer between Turkish troops and the mostly Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces that the United States trained and armed (but now seems poised to abandon).

I'd actually consider that alternative but no European government (other than maybe the UK and France) would go for that.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
The news in that story is not Graham's flipping out so much as that we're still pulling completely out of Syria in 60 days.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, which is bullshit whether you think we should leave Syria or not.
There needs to be an organized timetable of a YEAR at a minimum.

What if the plan is to pull out of Syria, allow ISIS to regain strength, and then campaign in 2020 on striking back at ISIS with a larger commitment in the region?

Just kidding. If there is any plan here it is a Russian one.

Yoma

Oct 25, 2017
this whole disinformation campaign from fucking foreign powers worries me to no end. Wonder if democrats get into power they can put out legislation that ends this madness.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
this whole disinformation campaign from fucking foreign powers worries me to no end. Wonder if democrats get into power they can put out legislation that ends this madness.

One would hope, but the root problem still remains.

Americans are fucking stupid and lack critical thinking skills and basic fact checking abilities and/or are too lazy to do so.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

The House should subpoena some Facebook/Twitter executives to come testify. That usually gets them moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.