• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Fivecoate was legally within her right to deny service to the couple, said Steve Sanders, a law professor at Indiana University. In Indiana, he said, "sexual orientation is one of those things that is protected in some places and in other places it is not."
Indiana has no statewide law protecting gay people from discrimination. It is left to individual cities and towns to decide whether to pass their own ordinances. Russiaville, where Fivecoate operates, is not covered by one, according to the Kokomo Tribune and the Indianapolis Star.

This is not the first time questions have been raised over the intersection of gay rights and religious liberties in Indiana. In 2015, then-Gov. Mike Pence signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Opponents of the law claimed it was an attempt to allow discrimination against the LGBT community, and it was later amended to include language stating it could not be used for that purpose by businesses and service providers.
Same-sex marriage is legal in Indiana, as it is nationwide. But gay couples aren't protected from other kinds of discrimination, Sanders said.

Pence's Indiana.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been another example of an election re-do, due to election fraud in modern history?
It's remarkable how little attention this is getting.

Oct 27, 2017
Like someone on MSNBC just said, Biden wants to BE president - not really run though. He'll gladly stump for people, sure, but stumping for yourself is a different thing.

And like someone said above, his self-stumping has been wistfully recalling the days when people (just about all men) from two sides of a conservative "center" would get together in a room and "argue" over things, then go have dinner together.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been another example of an election re-do, due to election fraud in modern history?
It's remarkable how little attention this is getting.
Usually the media gives stuff like this attention because republicans rev up their media machine to max RPM. Haven't really seen dems try to match that on stuff like this.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Warren is probably the legit best President for the US we can get this election. At least domestically. Unsure about her international policies.

Going to push for her along everyone that I know.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
- A radicalized alt-righter was just arrested for planning a massive attack on people on the president's shit list
- Republicans have been caught committing actual voter fraud in NC
- Ruling that feds illegally helped Epstein and co. avoid justice

...but yeah let's talk about dumb fucking Jussie Smollett, great job media

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

Anybody that doesn't say this is basically this knucklehead:

iOCg1H1.png

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
You can't bullshit judges - I've seen people trying to get out of jury duty try, and get fucking eaten alive by the judge.
Judges have seen it all. When I did it, I saw 20 cases a day some days. That's tons of people of all walks of life. After two weeks you start picking up on subtleties in body language and speech that you never noticed before and your bullshit fuse gets shorter and shorter.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I almost wonder, and this may be mega stupid, if the whole native American thing would almost act as a honey pot for Trump in a general. Like he would only be able to focus on making fun of that and it'd be really childishly stupid. Unlike Hillary's email thing though I feel it would get old fast and just feels like a dumb scandal. The emails felt real, like people could legit think there's an issue after hearing it so much but hearing decades ago Warren said she was Native American because of her family story just won't change votes in the same way. So Trump keeps attacking that and misses good opportunities on other things.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing to feel good about Warren being my number one choice since the day she announced.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing the man who failed to be president in 88' and 08' finally succeed in 20' is almost inconceivable. Moreover, he is so lazy - I think he feels he will just have to show up to win. Money will be a real issue for him, he's one of the only candidates who has failed to attract both the grassroots and big donors in the past. But I suppose Bloomberg will assist him if he chooses not to run himself.

Biden was the one who went to Mook and begged him to get Hillary to go to the Midwest. He knew it was a huge mistake. Calling the guy "lazy" seems kind of odd.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I also wouldn't call Biden lazy considering how vigorously he campaigned for people across the country, especially the midwest, last year.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Also, this board acts like Biden would veto stuff a democratic Congress would pass. You really think the guy would veto a Medicare for All plan? A way to help deal with student loans? Lower taxes on the poor/middle class and higher taxes on the rich?

I think he'd be a rubber stamp for whatever Pelosi et al pushed through if they had the Senate.

Jan 29, 2018
Have any of the candidates said anything substantial about education yet? My wife just found out all of the teachers at the school she works at have to reapply for their jobs and I'm once again infuriated about how everything works.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Also, this board acts like Biden would veto stuff a democratic Congress would pass. You really think the guy would veto a Medicare for All plan? A way to help deal with student loans? Lower taxes on the poor/middle class and higher taxes on the rich?

I think he'd be a rubber stamp for whatever Pelosi et al pushed through if they had the Senate.

I think this really undersells the value of having the president actively promoting a certain agenda, not to mention getting the president on board with spending his own political capital on things he doesn't feel especially passionate about.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017

A dem congress even if we get the numbers aren't going to just pass Medicare for all if Biden isn't on board

Whoever wins is going to need to pull Lyndon Johnson levels of fuckery in the senate to get red state democrats to get on bird. It's not going to just happen without Biden and Schumer making a Herculean effort to get it done

Oct 27, 2017

No, but I think he would give rhetorical cover to moral cowards to take the "easy" route on hard policy decisions. In the land of Biden a thousand Liebermans can bloom.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
Biden was the one who went to Mook and begged him to get Hillary to go to the Midwest. He knew it was a huge mistake. Calling the guy "lazy" seems kind of odd.

I should have been clearer. By lazy and just showing up I meant that he enjoys campaigning, but it seems like not much more than that. As a Senator from low cost Delaware he never had to raise a ton of money or built a large organization. Campaigning is important, but running for President involves doing more and we haven't seen much of that in past cycles.

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'm all about fixing racial inequity but the thing with reparations is that the well is so thoroughly poisoned there. As far as policies that will make white people lose their shit and turn off potential allies, it's reparations.

Booker's baby bonds are the better idea, structure policies that will benefit black people more than others without explicitly calling it that.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warren is the best policy wise for sure, but she has no shot of winning a general election, so I hope she doesn't win the primary. Media/Trump will be merciless with the DNA/Pocahontas stuff and they will ignore her policy positions just like with Hillary.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Warren native american stuff only has an effect as long as it dunks her in the dem primary. If it's squarely in the realm on trump v warren, GOP isn't exactly going to inspire much confidence on respecting native americans. All the reporting on the trail basically has the issue not come up at all wrt Warren so far. I'm skeptical of Trump being able to wage that culture war effectively in a general election beyond just the GOP hardliners.

Oct 27, 2017
Is the joke that she was never into him?

From what I understand, in that famous picture the sailor kissed that woman without asking permission.

I think the implication is he's expecting love from the Dems, and many of them have moved on to support...women candidates. Possibly a very oblique dig at the narrative that Bernie tries to avoid focusing on gender and identity politics.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I think the implication is he's expecting love from the Dems, and many of them have moved on to support...women candidates. Possibly a very oblique dig at the narrative that Bernie tries to avoid focusing on gender and identity politics.
Oh.

Too bad the author then didn't know the story behind that photo. The two people were complete strangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.