• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
So a sitting President *could* be indicted, maybe, possibly; at least it's not established precedent that they *can't* wrt Nixon and Agnew. Cool story.

tenor.gif

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you ding dongs aren't going to have a go at Maddow for hyping something she didn't hype again.

In general I'm down on shows like this because I used to be really into them during Dubya's terms, and then I realized the only difference between Beck's dumb whiteboards and Olbermann/Maddow's is that the latter were telling me things I wanted to hear. It's always "we've got a bombshell connection tonight that you aren't gonna believe." It's never what the shows claim it is.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think Maddow has bad or duplicitous intent. But she really needs to get out of her own wonkish brain sometimes and realize when a legitimately good story is only good and fantastical to her.

Like, this scoop really didn't need all she gave it.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In general I'm down on shows like this because I used to be really into them during Dubya's terms, and then I realized the only difference between Beck's dumb whiteboards and Olbermann/Maddow's is that the latter were telling me things I wanted to hear. It's always "we've got a bombshell connection tonight that you aren't gonna believe." It's never what the shows claim it is.
Well, thats a wrong take. Maddow doesnt frequently do your hype 'bombshells'. Also comparing her to Beck...lmao.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

Gaetz cannot control his attraction to AOC.

of course if it was any congressman infatuated like this it would be Gaetz.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with that poster. They're all trash. She has done this too many times.
Ah yes the reductive 'they're all trash'. Such a complex stance. I'd love to see all the times she has done it. I remember 2 or 3 off the top of my head where she got on the twitter to say watch for new news. I watch her usually, and it typically involves recapping the days events with context.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes the reductive 'they're all trash'. Such a complex stance. I'd love to see all the times she has done it. I remember 2 or 3 off the top of my head where she got on the twitter to say watch for new news. I watch her usually, and it typically involves recapping the days events with context.

Hyping stories that turn out to be didley.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

Why should I care about something someone who's dead did 40 years ago? It's not a bombshell about *anything*

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
My movement just needs to vote really hard in states where they are significant minorities and I'm sure we can get to 60 dem senators.

I mean, I'm still a bit wary of giving republicans access to a 50 vote threshold, but this a really dumb defense.

bluepolicebox

Oct 27, 2017
Why should I care about something someone who's dead did 40 years ago? It's not a bombshell about *anything*

Because that dead someone inspired a DOJ memo about whether or not a sitting president and/or vice president could be indicted. That memo has been taken by many as gospel ever since, inspiring the belief that the president can't be indicted because his constitutional responsibilities are too great. Giuliani explicitly said as much. Ms. Maddow presented a pretty compelling history of that memo and why it doesn't say what a lot of people think it says. Agnew was context for the memo and why the memo is so, so important today.

History matters. A lot.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Shes the modern day ed schultz.

Tonight's show was extremely overhyped, bu that's a ridiculous comparison. No other cable news host devotes so much time to *explaining* the news and historical context instead of chatting with talking heads. It's telling how notable it is when she misfires, because she rarely does.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
The revelation about Agnew was also just really interesting historically and kind of a big deal to anyone who takes an interest in American politics and history. If you want to rubber neck switch it over to Cuomo.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Tonight's show was extremely overhyped, bu that's a ridiculous comparison. No other cable news host devotes so much time to *explaining* the news and historical context instead of chatting with talking heads. It's telling how notable it is when she misfires, because she rarely does.
Her show is the complete opposite of CNN prime time but she can go a bit too far in the other direction at times.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Roger stone has a very oddly shaped head. I wonder if it squashed his brain and is the reason he has no morals.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
I hate how many of you don't 100% love Rach, one of the few beacons of decent context, background, and analysis in a sea of utter shit. Her programming during this era will go down as hall of fame worthy.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Did I mention decency? She and Chris Hayes are the only actual *humans* in this disgusting ass lizard kingdom of cable news.

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we poo-pooing a Special Report for being a special report?

It was "hyped" in that she told us days ago she was going to have a special report.

Especially since the implications of it, is crap we're dealing with currently.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You know ive seen more 'bombshell' and overhype talk from you guys after watching it than i did before. I know I wasn't expecting anything earth shattering, even after reading her little 'we got new news tonight' post.
It happens any time she suggests she has something new. People act as if she's claiming she's got the evidence that will get Trump impeached no matter how mildly she promoted the show.

Then they get mad at her for overhyping the news when it didn't meet their overinflated expectations.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I kind of can't tell them apart. I refer to Chris Hayes as "male rachel maddow" when I talk with people about him.

His book "Twilight of the Elites" is brilliant, a must-read, but I never bother to watch him. He's like Ari Melber minus the dope musical taste.

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
With the exception of Agnew's racist telegrams, I had heard most of it before. That's where my disappointment comes from.

Nov 20, 2017
Let's take a break from primary discussion to shit on Nomiki Konst! Politico published a new article today which completely eviscerated the Debate Champ:

She's wandered from Tucson to Buffalo to Florida to Los Angeles to New York City, from one cause to the next. It's all, her aides say, part of a bildungsroman that naturally culminates in a run for an office that's second in line to the mayor of the biggest city in America.

Konst came to POLITICO's office on Tuesday to discuss her background and her aspirations for the office of public advocate. POLITICO followed up with 19 fact-checking questions that same night. Citing debate preparations, she declined to answer those questions, some simple queries like what year she graduated from college, and how much of her life she spent in Tucson. The campaign ultimately declined to answer many of the questions.

"Given that this election is less than 4 days away, it is simply impossible to accommodate this request on this timeline," emailed campaign manager Dominique Shuminova on Thursday evening.

The Nomiki Konst story begins in Tucson, where she was born. She moved to Buffalo with her family when she was eight. Her mom was an Erie County legislator. Konst attended Nichols School, a private prep school in Buffalo.

Much of the rest of her life remains occluded by imprecision.

Konst says she attended the University of Arizona but declined to say if she graduated. Inquiries to the university were not returned.

She was also briefly an actor and says she was an Obama organizer. In news articles and television appearances over the past decade, she has been described using more than 30 different titles, from "former blogger" to "film industry activist" to "pro-Sanders journalist."

In 2012, she started showing up in Tucson papers as a candidate to succeed Gabby Giffords after a gunman shot the congresswoman.

"I really don't know any other home other than Tucson," Konst said at the time.

She failed to make the ballot. More recently she disputed that she really ran for the seat, both in the interview with POLITICO and at a debate among the candidates running for public advocate this week, where she was asked by another candidate how she could call herself an outsider candidate if she had run for Congress before.

"I was never on the ballot. I did not run," Konst said.

Konst frequently argues that the Public Advocate's office needs someone with her investigative skills.

Steven Weiss, a reporter and a former Wayne Barrett intern who worked with Konst on the Accountability Project, said he was impressed with Konst's work and her managerial skills.

"I do know that Wayne Barrett thought well of her, spent at least dozens of hours with or speaking to her, and recommended her to others he cared for and respected, as the manager of that process and organization," Weiss said.

"As to her claim of being an investigative journalist, specifically, and whether Wayne would agree with that characterization of her work, I've not seen or heard anything that would suggest that she was, or that he would."

As a reporter for The Young Turks, Konst sometimes interviewed politicians whose campaigns she publicly supported, or activists whose political positions she openly agreed with. But Konst sees no dissonance between her political activism and her journalism.

"Politico was founded by Republicans," Konst said. "The New York Times invented this in the late 1800s, invented this concept of non-partisan. And it was actually a PR stunt."

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finishing up the 3rd movie in the atlus shrugged trilogy and this is my first exposure to atlus shrugged and I can't believe people read the book and thought any of this was a good idea.

Nov 20, 2017
I'm finishing up the 3rd movie in the atlus shrugged trilogy and this is my first exposure to atlus shrugged and I can't believe people read the book and thought any of this was a good idea.

The ultimate irony was the movie failing at the box office, and relying on donations for sequel production.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, I can only hope you left off the /s

I was dead serious. I get all my progressive news from TYT and Bernie Sanders's Dank Meme Chest.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Atlas Shrugged is a fascinating case study: there's something undeniably readable about it -- I blasted through the whole book in a week soon after I graduated college -- but it has no respect for its readers' intelligence. There's a goddamn 60+ page political manifesto that comes after 900 pages full of blunt objectivist monologues. It also features the protagonist justifying being sexually assaulted because the dude was strong enough to dominate her.

Status
Not open for further replies.