• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2017
This is a good read which essentially threads everything we know about the Mueller investigation gleaned solely from court filings. Some folks have speculated that such reports are a way for Mueller to publicise his findings in the case of any suppression efforts by the Trump admin:

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I am disgusted at how the media is portraying DiFi as being reasonable with children and presenting them with a full outline of her plan. Children should be seen and not heard and preferably not seen and preferably in closets.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I am disgusted at how the media is portraying DiFi as being reasonable with children and presenting them with a full outline of her plan. Children should be seen and not heard and preferably not seen and preferably in closets.

You didn't think that academy in Arrested Development was satire did you?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Conservatives have been using children as shields and cudgles for years. 'Why no one would question a child!'
Never forget that they deliberately let CHIP expire and left it for months so they could later use it as a bargaining tool to attach to a larger bill and go "What, you don't want to help CHILDREN! The dems hate children, everyone!". Their sheer amoral cynicism can't be overstated.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Chris Geidner @chrisgeidner

JUST IN: Mueller's office did on Friday request to file its sentencing memo under seal in Manafort's case. Judge Amy Berman Jackson has granted that request and ordered Mueller's office to file a redacted version on the public docket.

d0g4sqzxcaecgk7tnkx5.png

No specific timeline on the docket entry as to when Mueller's redacted, public filing is due to be placed on the docket.

12:42 PM - Feb 23, 2019

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

BuzzFeed News @BuzzFeedNews

More than half – 51% – of tech industry professionals believe that Trump has a point about the media producing fake news, a BuzzFeed News survey has found https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/josephbernstein/tech-industry-survey?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc …

In the findings: Older employees, employees of larger tech companies, and employees of companies with $1 billion+ in revenue were more likely to have a negative opinion of the media, and women in the tech industry are less likely to hold a positive opinion than male counterparts.

Of men in the industry who were surveyed, 45% believe "the media has become too feminist," while 34% of survey respondents believe the media is unfair to white men. https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/josephbernstein/tech-industry-survey?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc …

12:06 PM - Feb 23, 2019

BuzzFeed News: Survey: 51% Of Tech Industry Workers Believe President Trump Has A Point About The Media Creating Fake News

Indeed, more than half (51%) of tech industry professionals "somewhat agree" or "strongly agree" with the statement that "President Trump has a point when it comes to the media producing fake news." A separate survey conducted by BuzzFeed News, of 1,000 Americans representing the national population, found that only 42% somewhat or strongly agree with that statement.*
---------
Tech workers' mistrust of the press seems to stem from several sources, one of which is the perception of identity-based bias in the media's coverage of tech companies.
Nearly 4 in 10 of tech workers (38%) and nearly half of men in the industry (45%) surveyed believe "the media has become too feminist." (A separate survey conducted by BuzzFeed News* found that the national percentage of people who believe the media has become "too feminist" is 39%.) Over the past several years, dozens of stories have focused on the relative dearth of women working in the industry — specifically in technical jobs — and the difficulties faced by the women who work in tech.
Similarly, more than a third (34%) of survey respondents, and more than 4 in 10 male survey respondents (41%), believe the media is unfair to white men. Last year, former Google engineer James Damore sued his old employer, alleging a company-wide effort to increase the number of women and underrepresented racial minorities that discriminated against white male conservatives.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

BuzzFeed News @BuzzFeedNews

More than half – 51% – of tech industry professionals believe that Trump has a point about the media producing fake news, a BuzzFeed News survey has found https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/josephbernstein/tech-industry-survey?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc …

In the findings: Older employees, employees of larger tech companies, and employees of companies with $1 billion+ in revenue were more likely to have a negative opinion of the media, and women in the tech industry are less likely to hold a positive opinion than male counterparts.

Of men in the industry who were surveyed, 45% believe "the media has become too feminist," while 34% of survey respondents believe the media is unfair to white men. https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/josephbernstein/tech-industry-survey?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc …

12:06 PM - Feb 23, 2019

BuzzFeed News: Survey: 51% Of Tech Industry Workers Believe President Trump Has A Point About The Media Creating Fake News

Indeed, more than half (51%) of tech industry professionals "somewhat agree" or "strongly agree" with the statement that "President Trump has a point when it comes to the media producing fake news." A separate survey conducted by BuzzFeed News, of 1,000 Americans representing the national population, found that only 42% somewhat or strongly agree with that statement.*
---------
Tech workers' mistrust of the press seems to stem from several sources, one of which is the perception of identity-based bias in the media's coverage of tech companies.
Nearly 4 in 10 of tech workers (38%) and nearly half of men in the industry (45%) surveyed believe "the media has become too feminist." (A separate survey conducted by BuzzFeed News* found that the national percentage of people who believe the media has become "too feminist" is 39%.) Over the past several years, dozens of stories have focused on the relative dearth of women working in the industry — specifically in technical jobs — and the difficulties faced by the women who work in tech.
Similarly, more than a third (34%) of survey respondents, and more than 4 in 10 male survey respondents (41%), believe the media is unfair to white men. Last year, former Google engineer James Damore sued his old employer, alleging a company-wide effort to increase the number of women and underrepresented racial minorities that discriminated against white male conservatives.

I mean, he's right.

In the same way that say, the Big Bad Wolf would be right if he told the three little pigs that pigs being eaten by wolves was a problem.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto trolling with these email titles. "Sharing exciting news with you" then it's just Beto winning an award

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain the appeal of being anti-vaccine? Is there some hidden ulterior motive that i'm missing? Because it's almost always conservative people and republicans seem to be encouraging the behavior.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
You know powerful people hate AOC out of all incoming Congressional rookies as she says ICIJ findings by name with links in her famous tweets.

*hiss and flee*

Republicans are already doing that, like with that kid in Texas selling hot chocolate to build the wall. Shithead parents put them up to it as bait for partisans.

"Son, liberals call our fellow conservatives rubes and rednecks. You are to never do that. Instead, we con them."

Chris Geidner @chrisgeidner

JUST IN: Mueller's office did on Friday request to file its sentencing memo under seal in Manafort's case. Judge Amy Berman Jackson has granted that request and ordered Mueller's office to file a redacted version on the public docket.

d0g4sqzxcaecgk7tnkx5.png

No specific timeline on the docket entry as to when Mueller's redacted, public filing is due to be placed on the docket.

12:42 PM - Feb 23, 2019

Oct 25, 2017
So Loomer and Wohl are going on Periscope begging connies for "money, money, money" for their Ilhan investigation. These people are so fucking blatant LMAO

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sick of this climate change fight.

Your choices are now
A) Painful economic changes and social changes but we survive.
B) Death of our society and perhaps species. Which also means are economy is dead.

Pick one.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sick of this climate change fight.

Your choices are now
A) Painful economic changes and social changes but we survive.
B) Death of our society and perhaps species. Which also means are economy is dead.

Pick one.

This is one of the big problems with democracy. A policy decision can be literally life and death for one person, but his vote can be negated by someone who doesn't even care much about that issue.

Old people don't care about climate change because it's not an issue for them and they'd rather not take the risk of being inconvenienced by new policies. I'm not saying democracy is bad and i don't know of a better alternative, i'm just pointing out that its a difficult problem to address.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain the appeal of being anti-vaccine? Is there some hidden ulterior motive that i'm missing? Because it's almost always conservative people and republicans seem to be encouraging the behavior.
My cousin (on the left, very highly educated) is antivax, and I have some in-laws (rural evangelical conservatives, high school educations) who are, too. In both cases it's fueled by a belief that they are smarter than everyone else, as well as intense paranoia of the medical system. In my cousin's case, he's just a very ideosyncratic person who is himself vaccinated but believes these things should be everyone's individual choice. His father, sister, and gf are all MDs and think he's crazy. Some of our most intense fights have been over this issue. But because he's vaccinated, healthy, and is likely never going to have kids, no one cares that much. He has a lot of idiotic yet harmless health practices, like some wand he keeps in his water bottle that purportedly makes water more absorbable. He also has "earthing" lines to connect his bed and office chair to the energies of the earth. Again, idiotic but harmless. He is a fairly successful day trader, which seems to have made his iconoclastic impulses worse.

The in-laws are a different story. They take colloidal silver for colds, drink weird alternative waters, etc. It's especially sad because the mom got breast cancer and tried treating it for a year with prayer and herbs. Eventually she caved and got chemo. She died not long after. That branch of the family now clings to their magical beliefs more than ever. They are also really into Rapture theology for much the same reasons: because of your secret knowledge, you aren't a marginal person at all, but a special one, and everyone who ever looked down on you is going to have Jesus throw it back in their faces one day.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
My cousin (on the left, very highly educated) is antivax, and I have some in-laws (rural evangelical conservatives, high school educations) who are, too. In both cases it's fueled by a belief that they are smarter than everyone else, as well as intense paranoia of the medical system. In my cousin's case, he's just a very ideosyncratic person who is himself vaccinated but believes these things should be everyone's individual choice. His father, sister, and gf are all MDs and think he's crazy. Some of our most intense fights have been over this issue. But because he's vaccinated, healthy, and is likely never going to have kids, no one cares that much. He has a lot of idiotic yet harmless health practices, like some wand he keeps in his water bottle that purportedly makes water more absorbable. He also has "earthing" lines to connect his bed and office chair to the energies of the earth. Again, idiotic but harmless. He is a fairly successful day trader, which seems to have made his iconoclastic impulses worse.

The in-laws are a different story. They take colloidal silver for colds, drink weird alternative waters, etc. It's especially sad because the mom got breast cancer and tried treating it for a year with prayer and herbs. Eventually she caved and got chemo. She died not long after. That branch of the family now clings to their magical beliefs more than ever. They are also really into Rapture theology for much the same reasons: because of your secret knowledge, you aren't a marginal person at all, but a special one, and everyone who ever looked down on you is going to have Jesus throw it back in their faces one day.

Thanks for this, any idea why republicans encourage the behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.